Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone ever deal with Huggins nad Scott

Looks like they have some great cards. But check out the Clemente rookie for sale.
I love candy cards

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've had nothing but positive transactions with them over the last 6 years. Josh is great to deal with.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    ditto - great guys
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    WOW
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    what about it? the description clearly states it is a 9oc.

the cert does not, but full disclosure has been made. not sure I see what you are getting at.

mech error on psa's part?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    My transaction with Huggins and Scott was handled without any problems which is more than I can say for some other auction houses.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Very classy move on the part of Huggins & Scott to disclose the error in the description. Most auction houses like Mastro would have tried to pass that card along as a regular PSA 9.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Full disclosure - I have no problem at all with how they listed it. Of course, someone is going to buy this, and relist it on Ebay immediately (without relabeling it, of course) claiming it's a straight 9.

I have dealt with these guys personally, they are not on the level of Mastro and the like, but they are always professional and easy to deal with.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Full disclosure - I have no problem at all with how they listed it. Of course, someone is going to buy this, and relist it on Ebay immediately (without relabeling it, of course) claiming it's a straight 9. >>

I agree. They know what is going to happen with this card. They know somebody somewhere is going to get reamed with it. They should have either dealt with PSA first on this or just stayed totally away from the card. If it was borderline, that's a different story. I say no integrity here. They know they will get paid and that seems to be all that matters.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even notice the flip last night or read the description all that carefully. I looked at the card and thought, What is Fletch talking about? Looks like a 9OC. Upon further review, I have to say that there's no way they should list that card without having it reholdered first.

And I can't pass up this opportunity to commend PSA's trained chimps for yet another fantastic quality control job.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    It is stuff like this that gives the hobby a bad name. The card should be reholdered before being auctioned in my opinion. I agree with the integrity questions here.
    I think Koby is wrong (again) in that this is a classy move by the auction house. Knowing how this hobby works, the winner will try to pass this off when they try to sell
    it as a straight nine. So a mistake (mechanical or not) by Psa allows an opportunity for a seller and an auction house to step up and and do the right thing. They both
    pass on that chance. Great! Two thumbs down!

aconte
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    My dealings with Huggins and Scott have been excellent. The lots I have won have been very carefully packaged - and one was a memorabilia lot containing a wide variety of items including bats, gloves, and bobbleheads. The one group lot of raw cards was accurately graded.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully H & S will send it back to PSA to be reholdered before shipping the card to the winning bidder.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Hopefully H & S will send it back to PSA to be reholdered before shipping the card to the winning bidder. >>

Hopefully, but why would they? If they were going to do that, they would have done it before auctioning the card in the first place.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>

<< <i>Hopefully H & S will send it back to PSA to be reholdered before shipping the card to the winning bidder. >>

Hopefully, but why would they? If they were going to do that, they would have done it before auctioning the card in the first place. >>

actually it is PSA that should receive notification and PSA will have the card withdrawn.
    they're good about that!
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    They should of sent it back for reslabbing before putting it up for auction.
  • Options
    All,
    I appreciate the communication about this situation. We have spoke to Joe Orlando about this and have worked out a situation with PSA so that the potential winning bidder will have this taken care prior to receiving the card. We have as much interest as PSA does in rectifying the problem to avoid further issues with this card.

Thanks so much,
    Josh Wulkan
    VP of Auction Operations
    Huggins and Scott Auctions
    email: josh@hugginsandscott.com
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!! Saves someone from being scammed
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a big two thumbs up by Huggins and Scott and PSA! Great job.

aconte
  • Options
    I have to say - well done. image
  • Options
    It amazes me how these boards can make things happen just from a discussion.

Kudos to H&S for fixing the problem. I take back my last statement about integrity issues. Good work.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Kudos to Fletch1750 for posting this issue and to Huggins and Scott and PSA for rectifying the problem. Also thanks to Fletch1750 for posting the Huggins and Scott link. There are some great cards in that auction.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I agree!
    Glad this was taken care of before the auction ended.
    This was the right thing to do image ...jay
  • Options
    They know they will get paid and that seems to be all that matters.

Steve that seems a tad harsh. Now lets look at this from a different perspective. The card is way OC, anyone that tries to win that and then pass that off as a true 9 would have had an up hill battle to say the least. Any prospective (after the fact) buyer could take take some precautions by doing a few basic things. I mean it is a 20K card?? Even the collector/investor with that sort of deep pockets is (IMO) going to check the cert or at the least email the the seller. To say with certainty (like some of you have) that someone is going to end up getting reamed with this card is a stretch in my opinion.

Also, another scenario on why the card was not reslabbed first could have to do with timing issues. It is all a moot point anyway as the fine folks at H&S have said that they would fix the problem before it is shipped. To say they have no integrity before knowing all the facts is typical of the things said here, which by the way you are entitled to feel.

JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Maybe I'm off-base here (from the posts of other forum members this auction house clearly has a very good reputation) but doesn't it say something that it took a forum thread to get the issue resolved? While I may be overemphasizing the importance of a thread on this message board there is one statement in the auction that stands out to me:

"The card is visibly off-center, and a MINT 9 would have to be followed by a qualifier; nonetheless, this holder does not feature the pesky qualifier that we all hate to see on a slabbed card."

Does it say something positive about the auction house that they included full-disclosure (how could they not with the card being THAT o/c) or does it say something negative about our hobby/industry that we applaud people for simply not doing the wrong thing? I think it's apparent that the auction house was not trying to mislead or rip-off the eventual purchaser of the card but at the same time, judging by the wording in the item description that I quoted above, they had no intention of reholdering the card before sending it of to the winner. They actually talk-up the fact that it's misholdered as though it's a selling point. Sort of a "it IS a 9 OC but you get to have it in a 9 holder" thing.

Admittedly, I've never dealt with this auction house so I don't have my own previous experiences with them so gauge. Like I said, from the previous posts in this thread they obviously have a positive reputation. I guess I just don't feel as though they should be commended for eventually doing what they should have done in the first place.

Just my opinion.

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>They know they will get paid and that seems to be all that matters.

Steve that seems a tad harsh. Now lets look at this from a different perspective. The card is way OC, anyone that tries to win that and then pass that off as a true 9 would have had an up hill battle to say the least. Any prospective (after the fact) buyer could take take some precautions by doing a few basic things. I mean it is a 20K card?? Even the collector/investor with that sort of deep pockets is (IMO) going to check the cert or at the least email the the seller. To say with certainty (like some of you have) that someone is going to end up getting reamed with this card is a stretch in my opinion.

Also, another scenario on why the card was not reslabbed first could have to do with timing issues. It is all a moot point anyway as the fine folks at H&S have said that they would fix the problem before it is shipped. To say they have no integrity before knowing all the facts is typical of the things said here, which by the way you are entitled to feel.

JMO

Steve >>

My feedback is 1300 99.9% on ebay. If I bought that card for dirt cheap because it's obviously holdered wrong, I don't think would have no problem selling that card at a profit on Ebay with no picture. Sure I would take a negative, but I would have given the buyer EXACTLY what he paid for.

Maybe it is a little harsh to say that that getting paid is all that matters, but was I wrong? Maybe not a company as a whole, but somewhere along the line there, somebody knew that card was wrong and listed it anyways.
  • Options

<< <i>I appreciate the communication about this situation. We have spoke to Joe Orlando about this and have worked out a situation with PSA so that the potential winning bidder will have this taken care prior to receiving the card. We have as much interest as PSA does in rectifying the problem to avoid further issues with this card. >>

Kudos to the auction house! It is irresponsible to let a rabid dog out into the wild.

The card should have been reholdered, IMHO. For the simple reason that if someone with less integrity wins the auction, they will undoubtedly resell it on ebay to a "cert buyer" for a large profit.

Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Scott, the cert when checked says it is a 9OC so even if a cert buyer did in fact buy it he /she would not be getting 9 points for the registry.

My point was that a true 9 clemente rookie is a 20k card ( I think). anyone that buys that card would IMO check the cert first?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>My point was that a true 9 clemente rookie is a 20k card ( I think). anyone that buys that card would IMO check the cert first? >>

I guess I would. I'll never know though because anything short of winning the lottery, I'm not spending $20K on any card. But, if it was up on Mastro, do you think everyone would check? Probably not because of the good name of the house. On Ebay your always looking out for scams but maybe not with a reputable auction house.