Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just recieved unopened parcel from the mint:

2006 UNCIRCULATED SET 2 $16.95 $33.90 2 units shipped on 09/28/2006
2006 10-COIN SILVER PROOF SET 2 $37.95 $75.90 2 units shipped on 09/28/2006
2005 11-COIN SILVER PROOF SET 2 $37.95 $75.90 2 units shipped on 09/28/2006
2006 10-COIN MINT PROOF SET 2 $22.95 $45.90 2 units shipped on 09/28/2006

I was working on my 2006 collection for my son. My goal was to put together an awesome Family Tree
Should I :
a) Leave the box sealed in case the mint screwed up and sent my 20th anniversary gold set instead.
b) Leave it in the sealed box and let him find it in my safe box 40 years from now.
c) Open the box and sent some (or half) of it to get graded. If so what?
d) Leave it in the box and get it all graded in the hopes of getting 70's and leave my wife wondering if I've got a loose screw.
e) None of the above. What's your better idea?

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open them and inspect them. My Silver proof set this year had a big fingerprint on the half dollar this year. They did replace it though I was out the return postage.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it came from fedex there should be an order number on the lable that will indicate what is inside. If it came from USPS there will be a tracking number on it you can cross at the mint website with your order number. All of your orders can be checked on line with the mint if you have the order number. I got in a box of rolled coins via USPS and was afraid to open it. After crossing all my outstanding mint order numbers with the mint website, I was able to tell exactly what was in the carton before I opened it.

LINK for mint is a little tought to navigate to:

Mint order status

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Others have given reasonable answers so I'll just tell you to take it to the closest emergency room or airport and ask them to x-ray it for you. image
    Currently looking for space-themed coins as well as these wantlists:
    Buffalo Nickel Wantlist
    Circulated TypeSet Wantlist
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there is no chance for a "first strike" designation, I guess it's okay to peek inside and see what the coins look like. There is a die crack error on one of the 2005 Statehood quarters, and an extra tree. So you should at least get a loupe and look closely for any errors or anomalies.

Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file