Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

War Nickel Question

Somebody here posted a cool set of War nickels which peaked my interest in learning a thing or two about them.

Question:

Is there not a 1942 D war nickel and if so, why not?

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a set of war nickels

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    It would seem that the mint out in Denver did not produce any 1942 nickels with the wartime 30% silver composition.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    But they did produce regular ones?????

John
    Coin Photos

• Options
    Yes, and D/sideways D ones, too.

All the 42-D nickels are nickel.

-Amanda

• Options
    Thanks Amanda - Think I'll pick up a set of these war nickels after I learn a little more about the pricing.

John
    Coin Photos

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    With entry of the United States into World War II, the War Production Board (WPB) began issuing strict allocations of strategic metals necessary for war materials production. Every manufacturer and individual was ordered to cut metal usage, recycle old material and adjust production to support the war. Among the WPB’s first targets were the automotive industry and the United States Mint.
    By early 1942 ordinary citizens were writing the Mint with suggestions to reduce the use of copper, nickel, iron and other strategic metals. On February 7, Philip C. Meyer from Richmond, Virginia offered the following suggestions:

Dear Sir:
    Here are two suggestions for you to consider:
    1 – Coin half-dimes out of silver instead of nickel. [This will] save nickel and copper.
    2 – Require every purchaser of collapsible tube goods such as shaving soap and tooth paste, etc. to bring the old empty tube [when buying more]. [This will] save tin and lead.

Meyer’s suggestion for a new half-dime generated considerable interest in substituting a .900 fine silver half dime for the five cent copper-nickel coin. But, after considerable discussion and testing, the Treasury department decided that producing standard size and weight five cent coins in an alloy of 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese was less disruptive than issuing a new coin denomination.
    The emergency alloy was used from mid-1942 through 1945. No 1942-D nickels were made in the new alloy.
    You can read about the “1942 Half-Dime” in the July issue of Coin Values magazine. The article includes photos of the proposed designs – later used for the Franklin half dollar.
  • Options

<< <i> peaked my interest. >>

piqued your interest.

Interesting thread.
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Heres is my set, 42-45... I also have the 43 steel pennys if you care to see.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interestingly enough, the Denver mint made only "nickel" nickels in 1942, and the San Francisco mint made only silver war nickels in 1942. Except for one known circulated 1942-S nickel in nickel with the S mintmark at the side of Monticello as on pre-war nickels. Anyone know anything more about this coin?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Are there any 1942 nickels with the big mint mark made in error (using the nickel composition planchet)? Are there any 1946 nickels made (using the silver composition planchet)?
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "All the 42-D nickels are nickel."

Nope, all the 42-D nickels are 75% copper with 25% nickel.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>"All the 42-D nickels are nickel."

Nope, all the 42-D nickels are 75% copper with 25% nickel. >>

Correct!!
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know they were proposing a half-dime for the WWII period. Very interesting.

Anyone have a picture of that design?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    There are often very neat die cracks on these. I know a guy who used to hunt for them trying to find instances of the same crack or growth of the same crack. The ones he liked most were those running from the dome to the rim (lightning strike).
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RWP that was a great letter that you quoted.

Planchet
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are often very neat die cracks on these. I know a guy who used to hunt for them trying to find instances of the same crack or growth of the same crack. The ones he liked most were those running from the dome to the rim (lightning strike). >>

These are interesting in deed. Especially with the S mints since the crack runs through the mint mark making it look like a dollar sign. S versus $

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Correct!! >>

That is incorrect, Amanda had it right.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    those running from the dome to the rim (lightning strike).

These are also reffered to as: "Flag Pole" die crack variety found on the 1942-S silver nickel.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>

<< <i>

Correct!! >>

That is incorrect, Amanda had it right.

-Daniel >>

Actually, they are right. But by saying 'nickel' all I meant was the traditional composition (which has more copper than nickel image ). I suppose it's just the terminology I use, referring to non-war nickels as nickel nickels and referring to wartime composition nickels as silver nickels.

And since the five cent piece derives its common name from the metallic composition, it is really incorrect to call silver nickels nickesl at all! image

-Amanda

• Options
    Here's a 44-S with a nice die crack.

Ken
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there any 1942 nickels with the big mint mark made in error (using the nickel composition planchet)? Are there any 1946 nickels made (using the silver composition planchet)? >>

According to Breen's Encyclopedia, there are 1942-P and 1943-P nickels known on the pre-war nickel composition, and there are 1946 Philly nickels known on the wartime silver composition. I recall a 1946 silver 5c coin being sold in an auction a few years back and it went for ~ $20K, but I don't remember if this was hammer or incl. the juice.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Look in the issue of Coin Values that I mentioned for the complete article and photos of the proposed half-dime designs. If you can’t find it at your local book store, you can contact Coin World (Amos Press) and order a copy. (Coin Values, August 2006, vol.4, no.8, p.50.)

The reference for the letter is:

US Mint. NARA-CP, record group 104, entry A1 328I, box 1, folder “Proposed Half Dime.” Letter dated February 7, 1942 to Leon Henderson, Price Administration Office from Philip C. Meyer, 7 East Broad Street, Richmond, VA. Henderson forwarded the letter to the Mint on March 19.

The 1942 half dime article is original research. The silver nickle info is in Breen and a hundred other numismatic books.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file