Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the best thing that has happend to our..

hobby in your opinion in the last 5 years? What is the worst? jws

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Best: The advent of the "coin internet" -- the instant multimedia communication between collectors, buyers, and sellers (i.e. forums, eBay, Heritage, dealer websites, etc.).
    Worst: A toss up between First Strike and Coin Vault.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The best: the internet (great access to coins, coin collectors, and information about coins).
    The worst: the internet (great venue for scammers).

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    The best: the internet and easy of communication. The worst: deception like coin vault
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best: Set Registry
    Worst: Set Registry

• Options
    Best: the internet for its ability to broaden the market, distill intelligence and level the playing field
    Worst: the internet again for its uncanny ability to perpetuate fraud under an anonymous veil
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    What is Coin Vault?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin Vault is a TV infomercial where common coins are hyped by extremely aggresive salespeople. The bad part is that things like state quarters are hyped as "rare coins" that "you'll be lucky to get these" and "they won't be making any more of these" and the coins are sold at prices of at least 3 times their value, and often more.

Comments from the group: is this an accurate description, or have I not been negative enough?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RichieURich, you're much too kind in your portrayal of this fine entertainment venue.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Best? Registries.
    Worst? Registries.

The registries have helped fuel interest in collecting and coordinate communication among disparate collectors with similar collecting goals. They have also showcased some world-class colelctions that the masses would normally only see when they'd go to auction, normally when the collector died. (It's terrible when some folks participate in registries and hide their sets.)

On the downside, the competition at TPG registries is raising a generation of collectors with less interest in their coin sets than their plastic sets. It also easily promotes dipping of truly great and rare original coins to get that next registry point.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best: Lots of money chasing hard assets

Worst: Wannabe's - road kill cafe
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    The best: I joined the hobby image

The worst: I joined the hobby image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The Internet, eBay and registries -- and perhaps the growth of the slabbing industry -- have ALL had some very positive and very negative impacts to the hobby. It's hard for me to single one out, and it's interesting that many of the things that have improved the hobby in some ways have hurt it in others...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file