Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1798 Lg Cent, Sheldon S153 D120 9vd

I did a little research on one of my old pennys today and found it's sheldon number. Coinfacts lists this variety as "very scarce". Do I have something here? Photos attached.

--Jerry

PS PCGS bb'd the coin for ED. I guess it's time to send it off to ANACS.

Comments

• Options

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Larger photos. Amanda taught me how to use photobucket.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any US coin with a date that start with a 17 has an immediate leg up on the competition. There's just something about a coin that was made in the first decade of the mint that really gets me going.
  • Options

<< <i>I did a little research on one of my old pennys today and found it's sheldon number. Coinfacts lists this variety as "very scarce". Do I have something here? Photos attached.

--Jerry

PS PCGS bb'd the coin for ED. I guess it's time to send it off to ANACS. >>

I can't comment authoritatively, however, I believe you have something there. That cud at 5 o'clock on the obverse is neat too.
    As was commented, I'd go with ANACS and see what they say.

Thanks for posting it and thanks to Amanda for helping you out with posting images.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uniform porosity...either the coin was struck on a porous planchet [not uncommon] or it spent some time in the ground. Regardless, I like the detail in this coin. One of the large cents I sold off last year had similar micro-porosity but not quite as much detail as yours. While I did enjoy a profit on that coin, I've not found one better since. These 18th Century gems are getting rather difficult to come by...nice find!!

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Jerry

You have a very late die state or terminal die state of the S-153 variety. The cud at the tip of the bust is a characteristic of this die state. The variety is an R3. The coin still has very nice detail - IMO EAC sharpness grade of a 35 plus coin. The coin exhibits light uniform corrosion, some rim dings and the right obverse field has a few things going on. The coin would be netted down by EAC standards - probably to a VG 10 to F 15 and assigned a lower condition grade due to the corrosion and rim bumps.

The big plus is you have a really neat coin here and collectors love the terminal die states. The terminal die state of the S-153 is one of my very favorite 1798 varieties. By the way, in terms of sharpness grade alone this is a high ranking example for a S-153. As a matter of fact, there's only one coin in the Condition Census with as high a sharpness grade (if you assume my grade is accurate) once you get below that of the top 10 examples - keeping in mind that net grade and not sharpness grade drives the final ranking in the CC . ANACs will slab it as corroded - but I would not slab this. IMO it's "worth" more without the slab and you won't be able to enjoy this coin's wonderful die state characteristics under the plastic. Enjoy it in the buff - you have a very cool coin. Thanks for posting this. image
  • Options
    Wow. Based on your screen name, I think I got comments from the expert. Thanks. I'm feeling pretty good about this cent. I searced ebay and the internet and found a lot of differnt S numbers but no S153.

I'm thinking I'll try to find a copy of Sheldon's book (I used the one at my local coin shop today) and where might I find the Condition Census you reference?

Thanks,
    Jerry
  • Options
    You don't run across S-153s all that often. My opinion is they are a bit rarer than the R3 rating would lead you to believe.

Bill Noyes and Dan Demeo have published the latest edition of the official Condition Census of Large Cents in 2005. The top 25 examples (when there are that many known) are listed for each variety in the all the early and middle dates. It's not cheap at $79, but well worth it if you are and avid LC collector. You can get the book on the web from Tom Reynolds at earlyamericancoppers.com. or possibly one of the other major copper dealers. If you don't want to spring for the book, PM me with a fax number and I'll fax you a copy of the page with the S-153s first of the week. And by the way, if you are planning on getting a copy of Sheldons Penny Whimsy - don't buy the 1990 Durst reprint. The photos are horrible. The earlier editions of the book are much better photo-wise. You might also consider Breen's book on early U.S. Cents 1793-1814.

David
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    that's a pretty awesome coin to have! A lot of history with it (I wonder who spent it?)

• Options

<< <i>that's a pretty awesome coin to have! A lot of history with it (I wonder who spent it?) >>

Any US coin with a date that starts 17 might have passed through George Washington's hands. Any US coin with a date that starts 18 certainly did not. --Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file