Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to take perfect pictures?

I see alot of you have great pictures of your coins that are zoomed in and focused so well, how do you get them that way with out it being fuzzy?

Thank,
James

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Comments

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    make sure your camera has a macro mode, for starters.

Next, practice, practice, practice.

I've been photo'ing my coins for about three years now and I'm not happy with what I'm able to produce. Most of the time, that is.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    also, 3 or 4k worth of equipment helps.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a perfect picture.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or coin.
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    or photographer.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    There is no such thing as a perfect picture.

Does perfect exist? I ask this philosophicaly. It's got me thinking. I'm assuming ms70 is perfect, but are all ms70's perfect, or none. Bottom line: does perfect exist or just a mere illusion? Me thinks perfect can not be proved without a large leap of faith. jws
  • Options
    The fellow at PCGS who takes photos for money took an image of a Lincoln that was absolutely perfect and without flaw. An image was posted of it to this forum.
  • Options
    The secret to great photography is to simply take a lot of pictures.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think you were wanting actual pointers rather than generalizations about the daunting task. I haven't gotten mine set up yet but here is what I'm planning to do:

1. Camera must be supported on a tripod or better yet, a copy stand (anybody got a cheap copy stand for sale?).
    2. Use the self timer to avoid vibration since most digital cameras won't take a bulb release.
    3. Use external lighting, preferably two high intensity lamps at 90 degrees. No flash of course.
    4. You don't need to be as close as you might think with a high resolution digital camera. Use the zoom. Being farther back flattens the field.
    5. No experiment and practice. Lighting distances will probably be a good thing to play with.

--jerry (master of the strawman)
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    How to take (as) perfect (as possible) pictures in three easy steps:

1) Raw coins (a huge advantage)
    2) Good equipment (DSLR, dedicated macro lens, copy stand/tripod, remote/delayed shutter release, and several types of lighting)
    3) Lots of practice (the most important, and can overcome, at least partially, the first two steps)

To address your second question -- concerning zooming and focusing -- it sounds to me like either your camera isn't set up correctly (not in or doesn't support macro mode), not steady (not using a tripod or copy stand), or simply isn't capable of good coin photos. If you share what type of camera you have, and what settings you are using, it will be much easier to give you more specific advice.

Hope this helps...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a lot of practice. None of use got it right the first time. And a lot of use are still trying to get it right.

B&H Photo has a reasonably priced copy stand with lights.
    One of my better purchases.

Link is to one of many they have.

Digital Pursuits
  • Options
    Know the focal length of your lens.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    All im useing is a SONY Cyber-shot 5.0 mega pixels not sure of my setting and i also use Photoshop whitch im ok at useing. let me know what you think.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a $250 digital, a tripod and a close-up screw on filter (it's much cheaper than the macro lens). I find natural lighting outdoors works best (picnic table on the patio). I shoot about 6" from the coin. I use photobucket.com as my server.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The fellow at PCGS who takes photos for money took an image of a Lincoln that was absolutely perfect and without flaw. An image was posted of it to this forum. >>

• Options
    Cool, I use a Sony Cyber Shot!

There is a little button with a flower on it, if you press that you are in macro mode. It is right by the flash button (you will want to turn off the flash) and the timer button (you will want to turn on the timer). Put your camera in M mode with the little wheel by the shutter. Then go into the M settings by pressing menu. Setting the whitebalence for the type of ambient lighting you have is CRITICAL.

Then, press the little round button in the middle of the 'arrow' buttons. This will allow you to set the shutter speed and aperture. Set the aperture to the highest number, probably 5.6. The shutter speed will depend on how much light you have, just adjust until the image looks good in the window. Then press the little round button again to set the camera.

You will want a small tripod. The macro focus is optimal at about four inches from the coin you are imaging. Make sure you have the timer on.

Press the shutter lightly and you should hear a little 'beep beep' noise and the metering squares should turn green. You are in focus!

Press down the shutter all the way and step back and wait for the timer to go off.

That should work. image

-Amanda

PS- DO NOT ZOOM! It will throw off the macro focusing. Just get the coin within four inches of the lens. This is how I take all my pictures, and I really like it. image

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW, great info Amanda... i will mess around with that and see what i get out of it. I dont have a tripod but will rig something.

Thanks,
    James

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need for a tripod is a small compact one. Your are going to be no more than a foot from the coin. Make sure the tripod head tightens up and does not have any play (movement) in it. Mine was less than $20 and is very compact and portable. Copy stands are hard to find these days, even Ritz Camera quit carring them.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

I made my own copy stand like setup with my tripod, a cardboard box and a couple books.

-Amanda

• Options
    Nikon 990 shot down the tube of a cheap microscope. The color is dead-on, but the table that the coin lies on is tilted just enough to cause blurriness atop the coin. A tilt of the table will fix that. There's many little problems like this that we run into when first attemptimg to photograph coins. Most are problems that concern the correct usage of the camera components and adjustment of the lighting. With experimentation should come the perfection of your own personal technique.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options

When not at a copystand I like to use something like the Manfrotto Super Clamp. Treads for the bottom of the camera and a nice clamp so you can use anything to position the camera; living room floor lamp, chair set up on the table, etc.

Also, with compact digital cams I think there is a tendency to overzoom. Use the macro setting and let those extra megapixels do the work for you in photoshop-- you are usually going to downsample the image before posting anyway.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file