Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hammered Question

As a complete novice to the English Hammered coins would this be a good book to get a base knowledge of their history, what is out there, general pricing, general rarity and identification? If not, are there others you could recommend?

English Hammered Coinage, Volume 1 - Early Anglo-Saxon to Henry III AD600 to 1272, by J.J.North, 3rd edition London 1994

Comments

• Options
    i would say that's a great source. i don't know how much that book tells you about each coin's history-- but as for those other factors, i'd say that's a key, if not THE key source.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Spink catalogue of British coinage covers the entire span of English/British coinage, from Celtic though Roman, hammered and up to modern. It's good for a general overview, but not always entirely helpful when it comes to identifying particular types and varieties. Pricing is, of course, in British Pounds, and reflects supply and demand in the UK - which may be different to what you find "on the ground" in the US.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    North is a great book to have, but I would say get Spink and Coincraft first.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Coincraft first, North catalogue presumes some prior knowledge beforehand. Anyone who's got a North, have you ever tried identifying Edward III groats with it? *shudder*, it's painful.