Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The 1943 Coppers and the 1909-S VDB are the Holy Grails...

I know the 2003 MS70 as the Holy Grail is a sarcastic title, but we all know the true Holy Grail Lincolns:

Ask anyone on the street that is NOT a collector of coins what the "most valuable pennies" are, with there best guess and with some naivety, will say the 1909-S VDB, or the 1943 Copper cents.

When my freinds hear I collect coins, I think, from what I remember, 2 guys and a girl asked, "Do you have a VDB Cent???". The young collectors today know the 1909-S VDB is THEE coin to get for the wheat Whitman folder.

The press has in the distant past made the 1943 Coppers so well known. Henry Ford was rumored to give a new car to anyone that could find him one.

Yes, the 1909-s VDB's are not the most valuable small cents, but there values vs. rarity is EXTREMELY HIGH. But the 1943 Copper cents speak for themselves on value. THEY ARE, THE MOST VALUABLE SMALL CENTS LET ALONE LINCOLN CENTS IN THE WORLD.

The 1943 Copper Cents are the Holy Grail.
The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    But a Chain Cent is the overall Holy Grail one cent coin! Even in PO01 like mine.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I would call the 1974 aluminum cent the Holy Grail of cents.image
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a 1943 copper cent myself.
    I agree the 43 copper and 09S-VDB should be the "Holy Grail" of Lincoln Cent.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    1955/1955 is one.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Lloyd,How right you are.Next 2 would be 22 plain,and 55 DDO.The other Lloyd.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    The Holy Grail "One Cent" coin could still be the 1943 Coppers, but the "Strawberry Leaf" large cent get's the top notch over the Chain Cent, IMO.

Who knows how many 1974 Aluminum cents there are out there??? I bet no one would pay $250,000 for one. (that's what the 1943-D Copper could sell for today in a second).

Remember, I am not basing this completely on their values. Popularity AND value. There are plenty of cents that go for more than a 1909-S VDB.

• Options
    Let's not forget the 1958 DDO.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Holy Grail "One Cent" coin could still be the 1943 Coppers, but the "Strawberry Leaf" large cent get's the top notch over the Chain Cent, IMO.. >>

How right you are!!! If there was ever a "Holy Grail" the Strawberry Leaf definitely gets the nod...with only 4 known and the fact that they rarely if ever come up for auction this certainly qualifies.

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    It's wonderful that we Lincoln cent collectors have different views of what is the "Holy Grail". I don't necessarily equate rarity with most costly or visa-versa. It comes down to what each of us craves for, even if we can't get it. The 1943 coppers certainly would be in the running for anyone who wants one. My effort was to get all my Lincoln proofs into PCGS slabs AFTER trying for 8 years to get the VDB Matte Proof at a price I could afford. Therefore, TO ME, the 1909VDB Matte Proof is the "Holy Grail" of Lincoln cents. Steveimage
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only does the Strawberry Leaf get the nod due to its scarcity, but there are just no strong examples of it known. Imagine someone, somewhere "finding" a legitimate MS Strawberry Leaf.......
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>I know the 2003 MS70 as the Holy Grail is a sarcastic title, but we all know the true Holy Grail Lincolns:

Ask anyone on the street that is NOT a collector of coins what the "most valuable pennies" are, with there best guess and with some naivety, will say the 1909-S VDB, or the 1943 Copper cents.

When my freinds hear I collect coins, I think, from what I remember, 2 guys and a girl asked, "Do you have a VDB Cent???". The young collectors today know the 1909-S VDB is THEE coin to get for the wheat Whitman folder.

The press has in the distant past made the 1943 Coppers so well known. Henry Ford was rumored to give a new car to anyone that could find him one.

Yes, the 1909-s VDB's are not the most valuable small cents, but there values vs. rarity is EXTREMELY HIGH. But the 1943 Copper cents speak for themselves on value. THEY ARE, THE MOST VALUABLE SMALL CENTS LET ALONE LINCOLN CENTS IN THE WORLD.

The 1943 Copper Cents are the Holy Grail. >>

Lloyd, with respect to your mentioning the 1909-S VDB in the same sentence as "the Holy Grail" - I believe that you are confusing a (not THE) key-date, popular, well known coin with something much more important/sacred/rare.image Whatever the Holy Grail of Lincoln cents might be, it is NOT the S VDB! And, isn't there only ONE Holy Grail, in which case we must decide upon ONE Lincoln cent as THE one?image
  • Options
    I agree with the majority of everyone's choices as viable candidates as the "Holy Grail" of Cents, but in considering just the Lincoln series, with the exception of the 1909-S V.D.B., the coins mentioned are "error" coins. My own personal candidate is the 1926-S MS65 Red. Only two graded and none higher (1 Ngc - 1 PCGS). Last one sold recently for about $150,000.00.
    Oh boy...this could be a bad thing.........image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've collected Lincolns for a while, but when it comes down to small coppers vs large coppers, there ain't no competition. Fugio, bar, strawberry-they make me weak in the knees!
  • Options
    I knew it - See, with all you "collector", "numismatic" opinions on WHY a coin should NOT be a Holy Grail.

<<Whatever the Holy Grail of Lincoln cents might be, it is NOT the S VDB! And, isn't there only ONE Holy Grail, in which case we must decide upon ONE Lincoln cent as THE one?>>

O.K. Mark. For lincolns, it would be the 1943-D Copper Cent as THEE HOLY GRAIL!!

And who says it's an "error"??? It was made, like the other copper 1943's. Just on another piece of metal!!!image

• Options
    The 1943 copper is an error. Like the 1922 Plain and 1955DDO. Errors all! Nothing more.
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    A 43 coppers and SVDBs are not holy; nor are they a devices to drink from.

David
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    2009 missing "S" Matte proof Lincoln will the "THE ONE" image
  • Options
    <<My own personal candidate is the 1926-S MS65 Red>>

Again, a "collector" opinion. Ask anyone on the street, "Would you buy a 1926-S MS65RED cent from me?". They would call the police on you!!! image

I would not base the Holy Grail cent based on some operation's simple numerical grading of a coin. There are a ton of 1926-s cents - hardly a Holy Grail candidate. Besides, those 65's are really 64's - just some rich guys buyng them for fun...

If the 1958 DDO or 55 DDO's were considered, they are error coins also, and the 1943-D...

...would blow them out of the water...

• Options
    So what you're really saying is the common folks who are not collectors know only of a very few dates of any value, and of those you're going to crown a "Holy Grail"? Sounds more like a political election.

If there is to be a "Top Lincoln Of All Time" (I hate the term "Holy Grail"), I think the opinion of collectors should have sway over what miniscule knowledge the average Joe has of coins.
    Oh boy...this could be a bad thing.........image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I've always consdered the S-VDB as the Holy Grail of cents. There are many other coins (and cents) that are rarer and/or more valuable, but the S-VDB has a mistique of it's own.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    It would be exciting to see a 43 copper or a 44 steel.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options

<< <i>It would be exciting to see a 43 copper or a 44 steel. >>

I agree, and after all, shouldn't we be excited to see THE "Holy Grail" of Lincoln cents? Lloyd, since you're the troublemaker who started this thread, I'll ask you image - why shouldn't an "error" coin be eligible?
  • Options
    I think any coin that gets the moniker "Holy Grail" should truly deserve it, in that there can only be one and people go on quests to find it. image

There is more than one 1943 D copper cent. image

I haven't read about any quest for the 2003 MS 70 cent, either. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    let us not forget the 1877 Indian Cent
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    To me, the holy grail would be a pack of cigarettes with two 1955 DDOs still inside the wrapper.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    NO ONE I know would even know what a VDB is. They'd think it was a VD or something bad. LOL! image

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    << It would be exciting to see a 43 copper or a 44 steel. >>

Traverntreasures - whenever you wish to see it live!!!

Mr. Feld:

I'm confused. I PICKED the 1943-D Copper as the Holy Grail. SO are you saying it is not an error??? image

I have no problem picking an error coin as the Holy Grail. To me, the Holy Grail Nickel is the...

1913 Liberty, of course!!!

• Options
    There is more than one 1943 D copper cent.

Where is it Amanda??? With the 1964 Peace Dollar and the 1870-S quarter?

• Options

How about the :

1969-S Doubled Die Obverse PCGS MS64 RD $100,000

Source PCGS Price Guide

I wonder if that is a POP 1 ?image

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options

<< <i><< It would be exciting to see a 43 copper or a 44 steel. >>

Traverntreasures - whenever you wish to see it live!!!

Mr. Feld:

I'm confused. I PICKED the 1943-D Copper as the Holy Grail. SO are you saying it is not an error??? image

I have no problem picking an error coin as the Holy Grail. To me, the Holy Grail Nickel is the...

1913 Liberty, of course!!! >>

Lloyd, I haven't aged TOO much since we met, so there is no need to call me "Mr. Feld"image I have no issue with your selection of the 1943-D even though I do consider it an "error" coin. Sorry for the confusion.image
  • Options

<< <i>There is more than one 1943 D copper cent.

Where is it Amanda??? With the 1964 Peace Dollar and the 1870-S quarter? >>

Breen says ANACS says there are about 40 known 1943 P specimens. Breen goes on to say that there are about 6 known 1943 S specimens and about 24 known 1943 D specimens.

-Amanda

• Options
    Is a doubled die an error? I remember a disagreement about that from several years back.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Breen says ANACS says there are about 40 known 1943 P specimens. Breen goes on to say that there are about 6 known 1943 S specimens and about 24 known 1943 D specimens. >>

The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents by John Wexler and Kevin Flynn states that there are 10 Philly, 1 Denver and 4 San Francisco 1943 bronze cents. When the 1943-D bronze cent was sold for over $200K a few years ago, they were fairly sure it was the only D coin. The book also states that there are 27 Philly, 7 Denver and 1 San Francisco 1944 steel cents. The book was published in 1996, and I think there are more now than then. Do any of the Lincoln cent folks have a current count?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    <<1969-S Doubled Die Obverse PCGS MS64 RD $100,000

Source PCGS Price Guide>>

Rich: You are not reading the thread very well. Some subjective condition rating (AND price guide for that matter), means nothing. There are all kinds of POP 1 ratings in the lincoln series. Who cares. Just a marketing ploy for some rich guys (gals) to pay moon money for a piece of plastic. (When there are a bunch a grade lower. Again, like so many others, crack ALL of them out, resubmit raw, and see what happens to the "top pop"). The 1943-D Copper has to be a pop 1 anyway - IT IS THE ONLY ONE!!!

Mark: I called you Mr. Feld to give you a little respect. Sorry. It was an "error"!!!image

Amanda: Breen's brain was in the gutter. Who knows of what he wrote/researched is 100% true today. He is DEFINITELY WRONG ABOUT THE 1943 COPPERS.

• Options
    Furthermore and BTW:

I have been notified directly that I am a little shy of the current sale price a buyer would pay today for the 1943-D Copper - by about ANOTHER $250,000...

• Options
    How many 1943 copper Cets does Laura Sperber now own in he personal collection? (let's spice this up!:2demonimage
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>Amanda: Breen's brain was in the gutter. Who knows of what he wrote/researched is 100% true today. He is DEFINITELY WRONG ABOUT THE 1943 COPPERS. >>

Okay, but that's where my information came from.

-Amanda

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

A holy grail coin would be one that has been forever rumored, but not proven to exist, wouldn't it? Like the 1917 Matte Proof.....image

There is not a single "holy grail" coin in all of Lincolndom. You can't count errors like the bronze 43's. There are many unique errors and anomalies out there.

To be the holy grail, it would need to be an important coin, rare in its on right as an intended issue, and is conditionally rare as well.

I think the holy grail would have to be one of the pop 2 matte proof vdb's in 67red. I haven't seen a picture of Gerry's coin, but Stewart's is unbelievable!
    Doug
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A holy grail coin would be one that has been forever rumored, but not proven to exist, wouldn't it? Like the 1917 Matte Proof.....image >>

Let's not forget the 1910 S VDB.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    With respect to Lincolns I certainly vote 1909-S VDB. In mentioning my collecting to a few colleagues, a couple have asked if I have that coin.

Strngely I don't. I certainly could get one, but I collect mostly by type so a key date is counter productive to a high grade.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    << A holy grail coin would be one that has been forever rumored, but not proven to exist, wouldn't it?

1959 wheat cent maybe??? image

Morgannut. Many know including me what Laura has, but I am not going to tell... I don't need my allie (sp) yelling at me!!!

• Options
    The thing is, the 1943PDS coppers are not just ordinary errors. These examples represent a
    response in support of victory against the Nazi Axis. Other coins do too, but they're not rare.
    In other words, a 1943 Copper isn't quite as historic as an error cent struck on dime blank-
    -----------
    BTW--wher did Breen get 24 1943D coppers? Is there really only one?

morgannut2
  • Options
    WHAT??? What victory did we have in 1943??? image

Bottom line: IF you had to pick ONE Lincoln cent of all the BILLIONS minted, which would you pic as the # 1 "Holy Grail"???

Which one would you pick if you were chosen to be gifted ONE Lincoln cent in the world???

• Options
    My bad LLoyd--I meant victory-"effort"
    My pick would be 1943D copper as an error, then the 1926S in MS65RD--

I actually think the 2003 in 70 was sort of cheap, if it looks
    as nice in hand as the images. But it's not in the league of many
    a LMS's supberb Gem mint marked early cents.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ieronic that the term "holy grail" was chosen for the 2003 coin since it is so apt. Just as people
    disagree as to exactly what the holy grail is, collectors disagree on exactly what constitutes a Lincoln
    which might be worthy of the title. The holy grail is believed to rest in a shrine in Ethiopia
    according to millions of believers and the one who gaurds it yet still many knights go forth in its pur-
    suit and the pursuit of the true holy grail.

Just as there can't be agreement on what is the holy grail there certainly won't be agreement on what
    Lincoln might be most errantic.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lloydmincy, nice image of the 44.

Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    Courtesy of MGOODM3, one of the masters of photography...

• Options
    caitlincaitlin Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Bottom line: IF you had to pick ONE Lincoln cent of all the BILLIONS minted, which would you pic as the # 1 "Holy Grail"???

Which one would you pick if you were chosen to be gifted ONE Lincoln cent in the world???

The 1943 copperimage
    A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bottom line: IF you had to pick ONE Lincoln cent of all the BILLIONS minted, which would you pic as the # 1 "Holy Grail"???

The 1943 copperimage >>

I'd pick the 1943-D bronze. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file