Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So I've "Mastered" Cracking Out Cards...And Now Should I...

So I purchased a really sharp looking 1986 Topps Jerry Rice BGS 9 with subgrades of 9.5 for Centering and 9 for Edges, Corners and Surface, e.g. no dreaded 8.5 subgrade. Further, according to Beckett Card Lookup, the card was graded on May 20, 2002. As such, the BGS 9 has the "old" label with the subgrades on the back and some would speculate that it was graded under "stricter" standards than today. I debated whether to crack it out and resubmit to either BGS or PSA in hopes of a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5 (actually and still fairly rare for this card).

Up to this point, I had never cracked out a BGS card, but had cracked out several PSA cards with no errors or flaws. I wanted to experiment, so I looked for the CHEAPEST BGS card on ebay and found a card for $2.00 INCLUDING shipping and handling. I purchased two of them and received them today. I took my trusty wrench and employed the same cracking method as with the PSA cards and sure enough, it worked like a charm on both cards. Both were safely cracked out with no errors or flaws.

Now the decision is whether to:

1. Simply list the BGS 9 on ebay;
2. Attempt a crossover to a PSA 10;
3. Crack and submit to BGS; or
4. Crack and submit to PSA.

Option 1 is simply no fun. Option 2 has a 0.0000000000000000001% chance of success after reading the numerous posts on crossing over to a PSA 10. That leaves Option 3 or Option 4. A good estimate of value for a BGS 9 is somewhere around $250.00. However, a good estimate for a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10 is about $2,000.00+.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. On PSA's website, you have to indicate the "declared value" of the card? How does this work? Reasonably, the Rice Rookie could be a PSA 9 or PSA 10, each with greatly varying values. Do I submit under Regular (declared value of less than $500) or under Super Express (declared value of $1,000.00 to $2,499.00). In other words, do I submit under the grade that it is likely to receive or the grade that I hope it will receive.

On review of Beckett's website, it appears that they dispense with the "declared value" requirement and just have different levels of grading depending on how quick you want the card graded, e.g. $25.00 for a 2 day service, $20.00 for a 5 day service, $12.50 for a 10 day service (all prices are for 1-19 cards). Or better yet, maybe I should just go with the on-site grading for $30.00. Oh wait, I just looked at the Beckett grading form and you do have to indicate declared value. Rats. Just another complication.

In any case, your thoughts and/or comments are welcomed and of course appreciated. Thank you.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    With a card like that I would crack it out and keep sending it into grading companies over and over until it finally landed on the desk of the right grader at the right time.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    So what is your method using a wrench on BGS slabs? That info would be helpful!
  • Options
    As far as declared value, I just use what I paid for the card and not what I think the card grades or want it to grade. I think it might be easier to get a bgs 9.5 than a psa 10. I too say just submit until you get the right grader. Just my 0.02.
  • Options

<< <i>With a card like that I would crack it out and keep sending it into grading companies over and over until it finally landed on the desk of the right grader at the right time. >>

Gospel according to the crack and resubmitters. Boopotts is dead on regarding this. Even if you have to crack and resubmit a dozen times, you get that grade and you'll make out on the deal.

Keep us posted
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Isnt declared value based on PSA8 levels? Obviously if you send it in the BGS slab then the value is higher. Unslabbed its not. That said, the insurance is based on the declared vaule as well. So, if crack and say that it is worth a PSA8 then you culd lose out if something happens.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Try beckett first without cracking it out. With those subgrades and in the old holder, it should have a good chance at a 9.5. The only problem is possibly with corners. Not sure how you do a GCR through the mail though, since i have only done it at shows.
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    For declared value, I would use the raw value from Beckett since you are submitting a raw card.