Home PSA Set Registry Forum

What you think about 1962 topps PSA 7 set?

I'm thinking to work on a 1962 Topps baseball PSA 7? What do you think? Any info?
Thanks, Siramedo
I am always buying 1972 Puerto Rican League Stickers, 1948-49 Toleteros, 1949-50 Toleteros and 1950-51 Toleteros. e-mail pajoyeros@coqui.net

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it a couple of years ago (ended up about 7.25). Very enjoyable. I wouldn't say that the 62 set in 7 is as hard as many sets in 8, but it is close - esp. if grading yourself. Trying to find many of the cards in nice 7's is tough. Ugly 7's are pretty easy. I would think it would take one year to do it for about 80% of SMR, 6 months to do it at SMR.

You can definitely learn to love this set. Some beautiful cards and some ugly ones, but the Mantle cards are among his best looking, the Maris card is a beast, the high numbers are pretty easy, the all stars are nice looking, the errors are actually interesting, and the leaders, Ruths, and WS cards are dynamite.

I say go for it - and good luck.

ps. Start with #1 Maris, FRobby, Locke, Pearson, Landrum, 598 RC, Miller SP, Koufax, and Mantle AS. They are all tough to find to find in nice, centered 7's. If you find it enjoyable to track them down you will enjoy the set. If not, you wil know before you chase too many tough commons.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Gosh. Got so excited thinking about this set that I just bought 2 nice lots of raw 62's on ebay image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think that commons in PSA 7 are a great buy. They are often submitted with hopes of an eight and usually are very nice for their grade. The stars seem to me to have a lot more variance in their quality because more people are willing to submit 6/7 type cards of the stars.

• marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    1962 Topps baseball is a great set to collect. I am working more actively on mine now. The set is indeed very interesting, especially if you go for the Master Set.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • I got a jump start on my '62T set buying a large lot of cards -- mostly 7s -- from Mike (above). (Don, have you sold some of these cards, too? If so, I've probably bought some from you, too.)

I remember sending in one of my best-looking '62s from the raw set I collected as a kid and it came back a PSA6. I am truly impressed with how nice looking the PSA7s and 8s are! I love the subsets of this year, too, which Mike mentioned -- the Babe Ruths, the World Series cards, etc.

I had a hard time choosing between doing this set and the '63, but hopefully I'll be able to complete both over the upcoming years. It's a long-term goal for me. I'm in no hurry.

Hope you enjoy whatever set you decide to do!
  • I've come to appreciate the '62s more than before since putting together the Drysdale & Koufax player sets and trying to find decent 7s. I actually think that the set is pretty attractive and I'm sure a very tough thing to complete in PSA 8. Good luck Siramedo!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Let me ask a question to the set's aficianados: sometimes you can see what seems to be a cut line, i.e. where the cut should have been made, at the top or bottom border. Does that make it just OC or is it closer to miscut?
    Neither. The Mays card is often found with a thick black line at the bottom, and I've seen the Mantle with it too - if it is barely showing it is no problem. More frequently the wood grain changes at the top/bottom border - this too is not a problem that would merit a qualifier. In both cases it presumes that the card is not worse than 70/30 t/b. In many 62's, the border/line appear at about 60/40. Hope it helps.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It does. I was referring to the woodgrain change.

I have a raw Ed Mathews that is otherwise quite nice and I wanted to be sure it wasn't a catastrophic flaw.