Home Sports Talk
Options

Phil-Pitt Steagles

My young son has really become interested in football so I did some research to answer his questions

Little known trivia:

The Philadephia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers are one, circa 1943

"The Eagles struggled over the course of their first decade, enduring repeated losing seasons. In 1943, when manpower shortages stemming from World War II made it impossible to fill the roster, the team temporarily merged with the Pittsburgh Steelers to form a team known as "the Phil-Pitt Steagles." (The merger, never intended as a permanent arrangement, was dissolved at the end of the 1943 season.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Eagles

On related note the Boston Yanks (he he) once merged with the Brooklyn Tigers:

"Due to a shortage of players caused by World War II, the Yanks were merged with the Brooklyn Tigers for the 1945 season, and styled as the Boston Yanks. The merged team played four home games in Boston and one in New York. But fans from neither cities cared as they finished with a 3-6-1 record."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Yanks

How many knew this trivia? I didn't.

Comments

• Options

Die hard Eagles fans know.

A great story of two classic NFL teams.

Thanks.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly believe that Philadelphia Eagles Football history should be a required mandatory course in all schools and colleges throughout the United States. Facts about the greatest sports franchise in world history should be known by all, in the same manner as American history is taught about revered figures such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Dick Vermeil.
  • Options

<< <i>I truly believe that Philadelphia Eagles Football history should be a required mandatory course in all schools and colleges throughout the United States. Facts about the greatest sports franchise in world history should be known by all, in the same manner as American history is taught about revered figures such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Dick Vermeil. >>

Agreed.

Every American child should learn about the "Ice Bowl" and "Bounty Bowl" games played in Philly.