Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay and Board Psychosis

Don't take this as whining - it's more just plain ole talk.

With all the posts about "fun" ebay sellers and boards members attacking others...

I was talking to an old friend - his hobby is collecting common gem stones.

He goes out to the desert - armed with a day pack and this hammering tool that looks like something that would be the envy of a serial killer.

Cost of doing business - some food and gas and his time.

He gets exercise, is out of doors, no cell phones or computers and is communing with nature.

Where did I mess up? image

mike

Mike

Comments

• Options
    SOUNDS REALLY GREAT! I DO THE SAME THING (EXCEPT GOING IN THE DESERT). I LIVE IN A SOMEWHAT RURAL AREA AND IT'S AWESOME TO JUST GO OUT FOR A DAY LOOKING AROUND. IN THE SPRING I LOOK FOR MOREL MUSHROOMS, IN THE FALL I HUNT FOR WILD GINSENG AND IN BETWEEN THOSE TIMES I'M OUT LOOKING FOR INTERESTING ROCKS, FOSSILS AND INDIAN ARROWHEADS. GREAT STRESS RELEIVER! TOO BAD I CAN'T FIND ANY VINTAGE CARDS OUT THERE THOUGH......

DAN
    SEMPER FI
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options
    Mike, you didn't mess up. It's just a philosophy that surfaces every now and then on a message board. We have good weeks here and bad weeks (as you already have witnessed far too many times). Treat yourself to some time off and read up on the Metal Detecting board here on the CU forums. You'll learn a lot--not just about metal detecting but about board comradery.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Jefferson Burdick saw all of this coming years ago. Remember he donated his cards so everyone could admire his passion for the hobby. He didnt hold an auction, and then sell the rest to the hall of fame. It was simply because he enjoyed collecting cards. Never busted a card out of a slab so he could be bumped a grade. Never sold a few cards to put an addition on the house or put the kids through college. Only one thing rules and controls the hobby anymore, and it aint love of cards.....
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You'll learn a lot--not just about metal detecting but about board comradery. >>

Thanx Paul.

Keep in mind, I'm not pissed, annoyed or anything. This was just a thought about what I do.

I bought a cheap item on ebay - empty whiskey decanter - too cheap to insure - would be more trouble to claim than worth - and I got it in the mail yesterday in a thousand pieces! I feel bad for the seller - he's clueless. He gave me a + FB and I wouldn't think of neg'ing him - I had a feeling about it. I have purchased about 20 of these - this is the first - the poor guy didn't even charge enough for shipping - he maybe netted 5 bucks on the deal tops and paid for gas for the trip to the PO.

So, those rocks are looking mighty fine right now. image

And, as most of you know - I am an inveterate collector of sports cards and memorabilia and going absolutely no where!!!

Just wondering if others sometimes feel the heat?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    received any threatening letters lately?
  • Options
    Sure, Stone. The heat's always there. Personally, I always feel the heat. Trying to make a go of this outside of my "other" job is a lot of work.

Whoever said the "love of cards" ain't driving the hobby hit the nail on the head. But, with that being said, seems to me that if you want to stay in the game, so to speak, you got to play the game. And with the game comes the heat to which you refer. Perhaps I completely missed your point. If so, I beg your pardon.

Enjoy your weekend!
  • Options
    Mike,

I know what you mean. I actually just started collecting 20s and 30s tobacco cards of cinema stars. It's truly a labor of love and solely done for the pure "collecting" aspect of it. The cards are pretty much worthless on an open market (I can get 150+ for around $10 delivered) but films are my true passion so collecting some of these stars is much like the way others here collect Mantle, Mays or Aaron.

The BEST part though is that these were prominent in England where card collecting has been serious for much longer than it has been in the States so the condition of the cards is unbelieveable. Many of them were kept in great condition for the past 70+ years. Once I start getting them in and fishing through them for the best conditioned ones it should make for a great eye-appeal set to put together in the slabs.

I had been tainted by possible "investments" for too long. This discovery has been quite liberating. image

Hang in there. image

Arthur

Edited to add: Unfortunately I'm hooked on wax more than Tony Montana was hooked on yo so I'll be lumbering around the sports boards for a while too. image
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    Without the pain the heart is hollow
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>received any threatening letters lately? >>

Not hobby related.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps I completely missed your point. If so, I beg your pardon >>

NJ

No you didn't miss my point since it was vague and rhetorical anyways.

I was just trying to get a conversation going about some of the stuff that is out of our control that happens.

Like the busted package.

I was just amazed how clueless my friend is about how complex some hobbies can be.

That's about it. And you have a great weekend also!

That goes for everyone here!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I hope to have a good weekend, but so far it isn't too great. I was supposed to go to Chicago for the weekend
    but my car had other plans with my money. It's fixed now, but the funds for the trip are gone. I was to go
    to a retro computer show and spend time with friends. Oh well. Stuck at home. It's been going on 3 years
    now since I have really enjoyed busting a box or even doing anything with my baseball cards. I still buy some
    packs and items now and then. I guess since I really don't have anyone to share my hobby with, all the local
    shops have closed up, the group I used to talk with on IRC all went away too. It just isn't fun anymore.
    Maybe it's just my age catching up with me too. I don't know.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    NewJerseyMeatHook is always an intelligent and logical poster....

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

He goes out to the desert - armed with a day pack and this hammering tool that looks like something that would be the envy of a serial killer.

Cost of doing business - some food and gas and his time.

He gets exercise, is out of doors, no cell phones or computers and is communing with nature.

Where did I mess up? image

mike >>

Mike,
    Doesn't everybody search for raw cards that way?

Seriously, we are all only limited by our vision. I can't tell you how many times it dawns on me: "hey, I can do that...."
    yf
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."