Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Foreign buyers not following rules..

What do you do when a buyer say from Japan..or Hong Kong..even Australia jumps in and bids on an auction that is CLEARLY marked U.S. ONLY shipping?

I don't have a problem if these people ask to bid 1st and see if it's ok....that has happened before and I don't have a problem with it..if they have a good history and a current file that isn't fishy.

But what about people that just go ahead and bid and don't ask 1st.

I had 3 buyers this week do that.....can those bids be cancelled AFTER the auction is over? Can they then leave feedback??
I've looked around the endless links to Ebay this morning...and just got the run around from Live Chat AND Customer Store Support via the telephone.

With all the Paypal BS going on out there...I really don't want my butt hanging on the line for cards and money that I can potentially lose.

Any help??

Comments

• Options
    I believe in your user preferences you can flag what countries you will ship to. Unless of course they are registered in the US and want it shipped to Japan...

Edit to add: I can't seem to find it on Ebay. I guess you'll have to do it on a per item basis when you list...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Block bidders from countries to which you do not ship - you can always lift the block if a legit bidder contacts you about an auction...
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    You can report someone for unwelcome bidding...you can find the link by doing an ebay help search for those keywords...but I don't know of a way to completely cancel their bids after the auction is over. You can make a second chance offer to the runner ups, but I think the foreign bidders will still be able to leave feedback for you.
  • Options
    Bruce,

This happened to me before on a huge lot of Jordans. I got a bid with under 30 seconds left from someone in Taiwan even though I clearly stated that all foreign bidders must contact me first prior to bidding. I got relatively lucky. There was a bit of a haggle over the shipping but they received everything okay a left positive feedback in the end. Very soon after that I went to my seller account and edited my buyer preferences to block bids from outside the US.

Good luck,

Arthur
  • Options
    Hi guys, first post here but hope to be the first of many.

I understand the frustration of US sellers, as i'm from Australia and to complete my collections I need to buy from the USA. Sometimes I will bid on a card if it doesnt specifically say "Do not ship overseas" without asking the question. Even if it says no international shipping, I may still bid and ship it to a friend in the USA, who then onships it to me.

The problem with blocking International is that when I go to bid with 5 seconds to go, I miss out as even though I was going to ship it to the US, my registered Aussie address blocks me from bidding. Bad in two ways - you get less for the card, and I don't get the card I want.

I do however understand and recognise that there are plenty of dumbass international buyers and ripoffs around the traps. Unfortunately it just ruins it for the rest of us.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    The problem with blocking International is that when I go to bid with 5 seconds to go, I miss out as even though I was going to ship it to the US, my registered Aussie address blocks me from bidding. Bad in two ways - you get less for the card, and I don't get the card I want.

Just set up a second ebay account using your name and your friend's address.
  • Options
    Lots of sellers quote US shipping only but will ship worldwide, maybe your description isn't clear enough image