Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

For Sale: #1 1984 Donruss Basic/Master set – ‘Summer of 84D’ - all PSA 9/10 - SOLD!.

It’s been a fantastic ride, but the time has come to pass the reins to a new owner. What started out nearly 4 years ago as a chance raw set purchase made from 2 wax cases, of one of the nicest designed sets ever, has come full circle. This basic set is the first and only 100% complete to date (gpa 9.39), with the master at 99.42 % (gpa 9.38). Along the way, the basic took top honors in 2003, 2004, and 2005, with the master in 2004 and 2005, and was also discussed in the March 2006 issue of the SMR magazine.

See the basic and master set on the registry.

Set description: The basic has 660 out of 660 cards, and the master is at 685 cards out of 689 possible. They contain 233 10’s and 452 9’s. (I have the missing 4 in psa 8 for completion of the master but eight’s have never touched the set). Of the 10’s, the biggies are here, along with many 1/1’s and 1/2's of both 9's and 10's of the absolute toughest commons, of which many were self-submitted. I’ve also been a stickler over the years for upgrading within grades. For example, this is the third Mattingly 10 and fourth Carter 10 to reside in the set. Why?......I simply continued to seek better examples whenever possible. Practically every star/rookie/HOF’er has been upgraded in psa 10 at least twice. This has also happened with many, if not most of the psa 9’s. I always looked to improve the set based on visual appeal with centering and color getting the top nod.

Of a few ‘notable’ modern registry sets out there, my feeling is this set ranks right with them in overall quality and eye appeal. Being my first and only registry set attempt, considerable passion and effort was put into hunting down superior cards, both graded and raw. The ‘84D guys’ are well aware of this, and speaking of, if you want to collect 84D’s you won’t find a bunch of nicer guys than Arnie, Al, Robert and company on the 84D registry. They've made the journey more enjoyable and I hope this set will stay intact and be part of the group again.

So, take a long look at the scans and see what you think. I've included many of the key cards as well as the nearly impossible, plus several of my favorites. Check out the pop reports on the tougher and toughest cards. My plan is to sell complete by offering it here first. I’m open to serious offers (via pm), but please no tire kickers as I’m not selling for need of cash. If it doesn’t sell here, it'll find it's way to ebay. If that doesn’t suit, I will bust it. SMR for the 685 cards as described above is just under $11k.

Enjoy the pics and make an offer I can’t refuse........Bill

Comments

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Just beautiful. I collected these back in 1986 trying to get a gem set raw. No one in the neighborhood had them. I got out of baseball and into Football cards but this brought back some great memories.

Nice set and best of luck
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Set has been SOLD!

Congratulations are in order for the new CU forum member owner......... image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was/is a heck of a set. Congratulations to both buyer and seller.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Do we know you the buyer is??? Can it be revealed??image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Frank,

I've agreed to keep this private, but in due time I think you'll be able to answer these questions image