Home Sports Talk

Just in.... Pedro OUT for the entire playoffs.

HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

Good decision. he sucks. he probably should contemplate retirement. just not enough left in that tiny body.
1st ballot Hall of Fame.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Mets fan, I'm sorry to hear that, but I think the team is better off without him at this point. He's obviously alot more hurt than he let on and would surely have been KO'd had he been penciled in to pitch in Round 1. Still think the Mets will win the NL. Phils are on the outside looking in and no one has the bullpen the Mets do. El Duque is pitching like an ace right now and he is playoff tested.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Mets are doooooomed I say....doooooooomed!

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Of course a healthy Pedro would have been ideal. I dont think anyone debates that. The way it stood though, the Mets are definately better off now. There eliminates the doubt over whether he can/cant go. They know the situation and can deal with it and move on.

Grote, in my opinion, unless the Astros make the playoffs the Mets will still make it through the N.L.

Ive said it many times before, but I will say it again, you can count on El Duque. The man has a god given gift of rising to the occasion. He is everything a winner can be. He has the heart, and most importantly, the balls in the big games. Rest assured he will serve the Mets quite well in the postseason.

If I am wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but I feel confident saying a retraction of my words wont be necessary.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• If they can get a win from El Duque, they should be able to get through a 1st round series against anyone. Glavine should be fine and Traschel for some inexplicable reason gets run support. Pedro hasn't been a factor for the Mets since April, so it's no huge loss for them.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
    Mets are doooooomed I say....doooooooomed!

LOL, your posts are becoming increasingly bizarre and downright funny. You really have turned into the village idiot on here, haven't you!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    If they can get a win from El Duque, they should be able to get through a 1st round series against anyone. Glavine should be fine and Traschel for some inexplicable reason gets run support. Pedro hasn't been a factor for the Mets since April, so it's no huge loss for them.

Excellent point. Ax, you could really learn a couple things on here if you kept your trap shut with your whining and bitter complaints.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grote, you are wasting your breath on Axtell .... that much I can GUARAN..*ucking..tee

Tis the season for El Duque. The Mets still have the absolute best lineup in the National League, AND there is NOBODY in the NL who has pitching that should scare anybody..... except maybe the Stros if the Cardinals complete a possible collapse.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not been paying much attention to baseball as im sure you guys can understand.........This is bad news for the Mets. I will agree with Bri on the fact that it helps to know where Pedro is at though, but anyway you slice it they would be better with him healthy.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    glavine has a sub .500 record in the playoffs, and el duque was essentially a waiver wire pickup.
    if the mets are lucky enough to hold off whatever WHITE HOT team they face in the first round, they'll get dumped in the second,
    and for all thier offense, thier starting pitching staff is a shambles and they'll probably be lucky to play .500 ball next year during the regular season.

1 and done.
    Pedro is at though, but anyway you slice it they would be better with him healthy.

Agreed. However, I feel the "Pedro factor" was more mental than anything else as in reality he has done virtually nothing for the Mets since June and didn't even reach double digits this year in wins. The team the Mets are fielding right now is still the best team in the NL so I'm not worried about missing Pedro, though obviously a healthy and effective Pedro would be a nice bonus. The team that's most dangerous right now is Houston by far. They have better starting pitching than the Mets and they are playing now with total confidence.

el duque was essentially a waiver wire pickup.

You'd be foolish to undersestimate El Duque in the postseason especially with the way he's been pitching. The ONLY team I can see beating the Mets in the NL is Houston, if they make it, though we have the edge in the bullpen over them, and the bullpen is key in the posteason as any Yankee fan will tell you/

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>el duque was essentially a waiver wire pickup.

You'd be foolish to undersestimate El Duque in the postseason especially with the way he's been pitching. The ONLY team I can see beating the Mets in the NL is Houston, if they make it, though we have the edge in the bullpen over them, and the bullpen is key in the posteason as any Yankee fan will tell you/ >>

what's happened to yankees teams with strong strong offenses and no pitching ? they go home.

a good offense is wonderful for squashing the braves/marlins/nationals of the regular season, but they can be stopped by decent pitching, especially left handed.

actually, how good has the mets offense looked in the last 12 games ? pretty bad. you're delusional if you think the team is anything but a wreck spinning out of control going into thier first playoffs.
    Only one team can win it all guys. Even teams with great pitching lose. Its all about who gets hot at the moment. Great pitching gives any team an edge but by no means guarantees anything ..... because just that one team can go home a winner.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mets will win it all this year IMO
    actually, how good has the mets offense looked in the last 12 games ?

Newsflash: Mets clinched the division 2 weeks ago!

The Mets will win it all this year IMO

I hope so, too!

<< <i>actually, how good has the mets offense looked in the last 12 games ?

Newsflash: Mets clinched the division 2 weeks ago! >>

They certainly had it locked up early....though not official, waaaay more than 2 weeks ago.

Pitching aside, I would still be concerned about them being able to flip the switch and turn it back on. Sometimes being in a position they found themselves in can be a hinderance. Locked up so early they did lose a bit of their edge. With any luck Willie will be able to take some of the experience in similar situations he had while with the Yankees and guide the Mets on how to get it going again strong for the playoffs.
    -- Yogi Berra

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Jesus christ you guys need to lighten up. It was a JOKE.

The NL is so pathetic that the mets with a AAA rotation would win it, simply based on their lineup. The Pads? Phillies? Cardinals? Is there any other team in this entire league who's been consistent for any period of time?

They certainly had it locked up early....though not official, waaaay more than 2 weeks ago.

Pitching aside, I would still be concerned about them being able to flip the switch and turn it back on. Sometimes being in a position they found themselves in can be a hinderance. Locked up so early they did lose a bit of their edge. With any luck Willie will be able to take some of the experience in similar situations he had while with the Yankees and guide the Mets on how to get it going again strong for the playoffs.

Agreed, bri. My point to hyperspace is that you cannot look at how the Mets are fielding their lineup right now and say that they are really trying to win, so what's the point.

I have great confidence in Willie as manager and I think the Mets will be just fine when it counts.

• Although some have dissagreed with my views on Willie Randolph(love the guy, and I'm super happy that he's finally a manager; especially in NY) I'm positive he's right for the job. With Pedro going down, the Mets will HAVE to look to El Duque. Glavine has yet to play strong for the Mets, not at all discounting his lackluster playoff performances(Also, he hasn't pitched with such an offense either mind you). I still have the Mets going to the NLCS, this loss has knocked them from(in my opinion) winning the NL. They are still WAY ahead of the rest of their league but, when you lose a guy like Pedro(or any other superstar that really is a cornerstone) you just sometimes can't put it all together without them.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Great tune up for El Duque tonight. 9 k's in 5 innings, he has a 1.69 ERA in his last 5 starts. I am becoming increasingly jealous that the Yankees didnt pick him up before the Mets.
    -- Yogi Berra

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>what's happened to yankees teams with strong strong offenses and no pitching ? they go home. >>

One can only hope.
  • ^^
    Yankees were right around the top of the league in pitching. It's bad when I 42 year old has been has better numbers than "gopherboy" Beckett. Eh, but I guess you forgot about that one huh?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Jerry, I hear ya. Its all you have left. Since that white elephant of a Red SOx team thoroughly embarrassed themselves this season. Imagine, the team with the second highest payroll in the game finishing in 3rd place in its division. WHAT A DREAM COME TRUE image