Home Metal Detecting
Options

got my detector last night

I bought a Garrett 250 last night and so far have found 1 square nail, 4 peices of rusty wire, 1 1/4 flat washer and about a pound of foil.

I live in a little town in northern Calif that was started in 1852. There are a jillion places I want to hunt in the coming weeks and hopefully I will find something worthy of submiting here. . Thanks for all the help in the last few days guys.
Molon Labe

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on the detector. Is this your first?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I see the other post. So welcome to the wonderful world of Treasure Hunting!

You might want to get used to your new machine by seeding the ground in your own yard with know objects and then learning how the detector reacts when passed over one. I did this in my backyard and placed copper cents, clad cents, dimes, nickels, quarters, halves, silver dollars, gold coin, my wedding ring and some various trash all at various depths in a controlled area and then proceeded to find each one while paying attention to the display to see how everything works.

Was a big help for me at least.

Happy hunting!
  • Options
    how far north are you? crescent city? i'm in san jose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Square nails can be a very good sign. They're a headache in themselves, but when you come upon a heavy concentration of them, you're gettin' into the "zone" where an old building likely stood. Bump up your discrimination just enough to knock them out (I usually set it on about three, just below nickel range), and hopefully there will be old coins and relics hidden with the nails.

That's assuming you're in an area with more than just one stray nail, of course.

<< <i>hopefully I will find something worthy of submiting here >>

Oh, I have a feeling you will. Maybe not immediately, but you will.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- if you get a chance to meet demodigger and/or get some pointers from him, take notes!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i like to remove all the iron. i once dug a few nails in one spot and directly under those was an 1870's french coin. iron can be a hassle, but not all iron is junk. oxen shoes are pretty cool. when i find those, i know i'm in a good spot.
  • Options
    cool!....go get em!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Congrats!

Take your time and learn what your machine is trying to tell you. Practise,practise,practise!

<< <i>oxen shoes are pretty cool. when i find those, i know i'm in a good spot. >>

I've heard the mighty Phut make the same statement.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Practice in the woodchip playgrounds. Lots of targets, easy recovery, battery money. image
  • Options
    I live in Cottonwood CA. its 15 miles south of Redding. Town was established in 1852 as a shipping point for cattle. Theres a lot of history here. I just need to explore it more. Im about 2 blocks from an old schol yard from the 1860's and 4 blocks from an old tavern that is from the late 1800's-early 1900's.
    I want to check out the creek beds arounf here as travelers used to camp there in the 1850's before crossing the creek to head for Oregon.North of me is the town of Old Shasta. Site of the Ruggles Bros. stage robbery. Loot was never found. This area is probably one of the best for treasure hunting if I only knew how to do it . Guess I will learn tho.
    Thanks again guys for all the help and support.
    P.S. If anybody wants to come help me look I'll take all the help I can get .LOL
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    I got my first ever speeding ticket in cottonwood in 1983 image
  • Options
    Here's some good videos on pinpointing with the ACE.

Garrett
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage