Options

Parcells attempts suicide!!!

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
Well, no, but who would blame him? image
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be understandable when coaching a team that has Jerry Jones as an owner and Terrell Owens as a player.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I'd think Andy Reid would attempt suicide first.

4 NFC championship games in a row, 1-3 record in said games, no super bowl wins.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd think Andy Reid would attempt suicide first.

4 NFC championship games in a row, 1-3 record in said games, no super bowl wins. >>

Yes that is frustrating, but I'll take Andy Reid over Bill Parcells. Lifetime of course Parcells will be a HOF coach, and Reid is not at this time. But in the present and for the future to give my team the best chance to win, I'll take Reid over Parcells without hesitation.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd think Andy Reid would attempt suicide first.

4 NFC championship games in a row, 1-3 record in said games, no super bowl wins. >>

Yes that is frustrating, but I'll take Andy Reid over Bill Parcells. Lifetime of course Parcells will be a HOF coach, and Reid is not at this time. But in the present and for the future to give my team the best chance to win, I'll take Reid over Parcells without hesitation. >>

I think it's silly when people 'blame' Andy Reid-- or anyone else for that matter- for their team's results in a small subset. Bud Grant and Marv Levy were fine coaches, even if their SB records don't bear that out, and Andy Reid is, IMO, one of the top 4 coaches currently working in the NFL (behind Shanahan and Belichick and 'maybe' Cowher). Anything can happen in a four game trial.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    No one doubts Levy was an incredible coach, 4 straight super bowls is a feat that will likely never be matched. Norwood makes that kick, he wins a super bowl, and history sees the Bills' run as one of the greatest of all time.

Reid has a history of poor clock management, bad decision making, and to go to 4 straight championship games and only come away with one super bowl appearance (let alone no wins) ranks up there ahead of the braves' straight division titles with one world series win as greatest chokes of all time.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    edited out for many reasons
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>No one doubts Levy was an incredible coach, 4 straight super bowls is a feat that will likely never be matched. Norwood makes that kick, he wins a super bowl, and history sees the Bills' run as one of the greatest of all time.

Reid has a history of poor clock management, bad decision making, and to go to 4 straight championship games and only come away with one super bowl appearance (let alone no wins) ranks up there ahead of the braves' straight division titles with one world series win as greatest chokes of all time. >>

But this argument relies on the critical assumption that the game 'changes' in the post season, and I've never seen any statistical evidence that this is true. If a guy is a good regular season coach, but has a poor post-season record, then you can only attribute that to one of two things. Either

a) It's a statistical anomaly, or
    b) The post-season game is substantively different from the regular season game, and the coach has failed to adjust.

I take door 'a' here, because I don't see how the average playoff game is any different from a game in the regular season. It's still just football.
  • Options
    Boo makes some very good points. Axtell's point is noted but is too simplified. Except for some rare exceptions in certain seasons, all coaches have their various flaws and make mistakes that they need to work through.

Just like in Texas hold 'em poker when getting dealt pocket aces but they keep getting cracked time after time, the Eagles from Buddy Ryan to Andy Reid have just been snake bit beyond belief in playoff games. One of these days the "odds" have to even out in our favor...I hope. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>edited out for many reasons >>

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I thought your post was top notch image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts