Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Please help with this eBay seller

On September 17th, I won 7 eBay auctions from cheapwax4ucom, totaling $1416. I received an invoice 2 days later for the total, including $24 for shipping. I sent an e-mail to the seller to confirm that the $24 included insurance, and I have not received a response. I've also sent 2 messages via eBay since then requesting insurance, and have heard absolutely nothing from the seller. The seller obviously does quite a bit of business on eBay, and maybe they're out of town or something. In any case, given the price here, I want to make sure I have insurance, and I'm not going to pay until I know they'll be insured. Plus, now, not hearing from the seller in 10 days makes me wonder if I should mess around with this seller in the first place.

I requested the seller's contact information on eBay tonight, and I plan to call tomorrow.

Also, I have to wonder if some of this sellers auctions had shills on them. Two bidders in particular seem shady to me -- bjwbr9 and wildwest2007. bjwbr9 has only bid on 6 items in the last 30 days, 5 of which are from this seller. I've never seen this person bid on 1950 Topps Feltbacks either. wildwest2007 is NARU'ed now, so who knows?

Here are some links for various auctions, including 2 that I won.

Link

Link2

Link3

Doug

Comments

• Options
    I see that sigmaguy bumped it up quite a bit for you..........
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Fpr now, don't worry about the shills. Just concentrate on your issue. If you want to wait for a response, I think that is more than justified.

Don't forget, insurance protects the SELLER, not the buyer. If you pay and these come all messed up, its his problem. In theory. That being said if you do pay, I would pay with your credit card thru Paypal so if the shit hits the fan, you can always take it up thru your credit card which is a lot easier to deal with than Paypal.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    anytime you see a bidder with little to no feedback bidding on Topps felts, its sigmaguy and his 250 names he has used since then. The other guy is the sellers shill....
  • Options
    I think I've seen sigmaguy on eBay before....or maybe that was here on the boards. Still, the Doak Walker was very expensive, I think, but not completely out of line with how Feltbacks have sold over the last couple years. Having someone come in with a $600 bid, though, without a lot of previous interest in Feltbacks sucks.

Thanks for the advice, Zef. I would like to wait for a response. Part of my problem is just the way I like to pay for things -- I pay for all my cards as soon as possible, and waiting 10 days makes me feel like a deadbeat buyer. If I were a seller waiting 10 days, I'd be irritated, especially for such a large amount. But, I expect that the seller has either seen my messages or not noticed that I haven't paid, or both. I just don't want to get neg'd because I requested insurance and the seller didn't respond.

So, how does a buyer protect his purchase, since insurance benefits the seller? I like to pay through paypal, but going through a claims process is the last thing I want to have to do. I suppose that's true whether it's paypal or the P.O. or whatever.

Doug
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Use a credit card only. No insurance, no payment.
    At that price level, PayPal requires the seller to
    use signature-confirmation IF he wants to
    participate in the seller-protection scheme.

The seller has left no FB for anybody since
    the first week of August; yet, he continues to
    sell, deliver and receive FB. Sometimes, that
    can mean the "owner" is sick/on vacation and
    someone else is handling things.

sigma is not a shill, but the wildwest name
    is suspect.

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Sigmaguy IS wildwest. He was naru'ed last year. The guy makes a living bidding up auctions and not paying. He likes to follow certain people (like bettylambert) and just bid so it costs them more money. The guy has had over 250 names in the past year.
  • Options

<< <i>Sigmaguy IS wildwest. He was naru'ed last year. The guy makes a living bidding up auctions and not paying. He likes to follow certain people (like bettylambert) and just bid so it costs them more money. The guy has had over 250 names in the past year. >>

This is exactly why you need to use an auction sniper service. I use a service called Auction Sniper. I enter the item number and indicate how many seconds left before the system puts in my autobid. This costs me 25 cents per transaction and a little more for items over $25. I love it. No more forgetting watched items, more protection from shill bidders, and more auction wins since your bid is usually the last. Some other forum members here have touted other sniper sites so take a look around and get the best deal for you. I will always use the snipe service for anything over $5. It works as sometimes I win more cards than I have in the budget.

As far as the transaction specified in the initial post, I'd consider just skipping payment altogether if you can prove to eBay this was a shill.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Sigmaguy IS wildwest."

/////////////////////////////////

Sure fooled me.

I thought sure I had run into sigma dozens of times.
    I think he even bought something from me early
    this year; I will look in my FB and report back if I
    find it.

storm image
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    This is exactly why you need to use an auction sniper service

I agree!!

justsnipe.com 5 free snipes per week.

unlimited snipes 5.00 per month.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Two of the bidders on your Walker card are Super bidders & Buyers. One of them has the #1 Set in the regisrty for the Felt Set. Also the Walker card is one of the harder cards in the set in any grade. IMO $610.00 is a very resonable price.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm old school, and I was opposed to snipes as well, but you just gotta snipe! I use justnsipe, and, as someone already mentioned, their free service gives you 5 free snipes per week. I've never had one misfire - and I've never had to pay justsnipe a dime!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

I do snipe as a general rule, but shill bidders can still influence the price, particularly if non-snipe bids are placed.

I also know that there were definitely several legitimate bidders on the Felts. I'm not convinced there were shills here, either, but it is a little suspect. But, yeah, $610 for a Doak Walker yellow is probably reasonable.

I did notice that the seller hasn't left feedback for a while. I've seen others do this also -- some sellers give feedback every 3 months, and just do it all at once. Maybe the seller is away, maybe not.

OK, credit card is the way to go -- thanks.

Doug