Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

1959 Thhree Stooges Variants

I was scanning some new cards tonight and noticed a color difference in a pair of 59 Stooges. How common are these variants and has anyone ever catalog them?
Thanks
David

It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Being just an idiot that collects cards, my experience with '59 Fleer cards (Stooges, Ted Williams, Indians) is that they aged differently. The stock was definitely less glossy than their Topps counterparts and thus it's quite common to find these cards in immaculate condition with both sharp white borders and toned-to-tan borders. The colors within tone as well. I've never seen anyone address this toning as a variation.

If I remember correctly, the cards toned pretty quickly. I had some stooge cards in 1960 that had already tanned.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark- Look at the barn door...it's totally a different color. Would that just be toning????
  • Options
    Yeah, that's definitely a variation. You can see where the red on the door hinges is still the same but the doors are tan. I wish I could help with rarity but I can't. Hopefully someone here can because I'd love to find out the story behind 'em.

Arthur
  • Options
    Wow! I totally missed that. Yup that is for sure a variation. FWIW, mine has a red door also.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark- As far as the toning goes, I think you are right on.....a lot of my '59 Fleer Ted Williams set has a fair amount of toning too! Both Fleer and both from 1959...probably used the same paper stock.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome that you caught this variation. I have never heard of such a thing existing in the Three Stooges set. I wonder how many other variations exists with this set? As for the toning-they do tone a bit. However, this example above is two different print runs with different color paper stock. We all know that there is a gray back and white back. There also is white front and dark front. I have heard that the gray backs carry a premium but I have not seen that from prior sales. I prefer the white back and white fronts.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Interesting. The card I have has a brown door, and it's also the white paper stock. As for other variations, seems to me I remember different color backgrounds on cards 1, 2, and 3. My #2 Moe has a tannish background, but I think I've had a light blue and an olive green background at one time.
  • Options
    Wow! That is really cool! I have collected these cards for quite a while and I wasn't aware of that variant. I only knew about the Moe card.

Gray background. This is also the more rare Grey Back Card.

Green Background. Why is this card a 6????
    missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    Maybe it's just the scan, but Moe's tie looks like different colors too.
  • Options
    Certainly Moe has differnet shadings at the least but I would argue for color changes as well. In the top card his eyes are blue and in the bottom one they are brown.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Holy cow! I didn't even notice that! I was caught up in the obvious tan vs. green background!
    missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    To me, the green color in the #2 Moe card looks like to was never applied. Most likely the last color in the printing process? I have no idea about the different color barn doors. The paper looks like different stocks ('glossy' versus matte). I would be interested in starting a PSA 9 set, if anyone has dupes for sale or trade.
  • Options

<< <i> I would be interested in starting a PSA 9 set, if anyone has dupes for sale or trade. >>

David - good luck on that; that is one colossal undertaking!image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Can anyone see anything wrong with this auction for a 3 Stooges checklist card?
    LINK
  • Options
    That's pretty strange. The reverse is an old PSA slab, but the front flip seems to match, with the old type and the "0" cert number. Looks like a labelling problem. I don't think too highly of memorylane for trying to peddle this as a genuine checklist card. That's just wrong.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i> Looks like a labelling problem. >>

That's what I think also. PSA labled the card as a checklist even though it is just a normal back. I emailed Memorylane about this being a mislabled card (in case they didn't already know). The auction is still running though.
  • Options
    Their high opening bid makes me think they know what it is and they're hoping to snag a sucker.

Scumbags....
    Mark (amerbbcards)