Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does this coin look like a fake?

I haven't done any research on it yet, but it sure doesn't look like anything minted by the Brits.

Linkified
Big Dave
-------------------------
Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
Good sale to: Nicholasz219

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say a fake. If my memory serves me right One HK Dollar in 1866 had Queen Victoria?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Edward did not become King until 1901 and that coin is dated 1866. Between that and the archaic style eye, I'd say chances are right at 100% that that is a counterfeit and a sloppy one at that!

While I'd love to have it for my counterfeit collection, I refuse to give any money to these rip off artists. I believe that paying these scum-bags just makes the problem worse.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I sent this guy a message that I thought it was counterfeit.

So, he should be editing the auction or removing it soon.
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    How the bloody imageimage H**L did that sleazebag get 100% favorable feedback selling the poorest quality Chinese fakes I've seen?
    Roy

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Aethelred said it all. The portrait of Edward VII makes him look like an owl. POS fake.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

what a creep - standard I don't know nuttin 'bout coins... but I have over 10,000 I will be listing on ebay.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Notice the Q&A portion below the listing:

Q: Hi, something wrong here. Queen Victoria was ruling from 1837 - 1901. Edward VII became king 1902 -10. Possible forgery where the face dies got mixed up. FH

A: IF YOU SAY SO, LIKE IT SAYS IN AD i DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS COIN/TOKEN/RESTRIKE/FORGERY/UNKNOWN, SUGGEST IF SOMEONE WANTS TO BID THEY TAKE ALL THAT INTO CONSIDERATION, THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST..
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Take a look at his other auctions. Interestingly, it's only the obvious counterfeits that include disclaimers such as "I have been told that this is a..." and "I don't know if they are restrikes or what..."

The genuine coins get no such disclaimers.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look good enough to be called a fake.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, he's powerseller! Doesn't that mean something image. Actually, I have to give him an iota of credit, at least he posted the question and response for all to see. That eye is creepy by the way.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Ew. That's one of the most hideous fakes I've ever seen image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    It's not a "fake" ... it's a "commemorative tribute"! LOL
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does this coin look like a fake? >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a real fake and a real bad one at that...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Have a look at what all else this guy is selling: Umpteen-dozen 'CERTIFIED' 'MS or PR70-PERFECT' coins, yeah, right, and my Aunt, the Queen of England, died and left me a gazillion MS70's, too, um-hmmm:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcoin5555QQhtZ-1

most graded by SGS. Here's two pretty good pages on coin grading services. The first page is apparently services the guy who did the site seems to think are okay and it has PCGS and NGC (the two I prefer), though it gives a bit more credit to some others than I think they ought to have. The second page is the 'loser' page and it gives SGS too much credit ....

http://www.allcertifiedcoins.com/coins_slabcompanies.html <--page 1

http://www.allcertifiedcoins.com/coins_slabcompanies2.html <--page 2

The above site (with the coin grading pages, not the guy selling the boatload of so-called MS/PR-70's) is attributed to Jason Stevens and sells slabbed coins from third-party grading services and other than that I don't know anything about it, but I thought the coin-grading pages were helpful.

The person who pointed out that the mystery hairy-eyeball 'coins' were dated before King Edward was born seems to have pretty well nailed it. How it can be anything but a forgery, I can't imagine. I don't think it could be just a mixed up die and the guy have 1,000's and 1,000's of them.

(how many typo-edits do I get before I get booted? image )