Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newp Australian florin

Won this coin from Australia. The picture is of the seller's.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has always been my favorite Aussie design. Known as the Parliament Florin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Nice coin ! image

The 1927 Parliment House Florin was released to Commemorate the Opening of Partliment House in Canberra, before that they sat in the Exhibition Building in Melbourne and is Australia's first commemorative coin.

George Kruger-Grey who designed the reverse of Australian coins from 1938 to 1964 is responsible for this one as well, it is often called his most delicate work.

Although this coin has a low mintage by most world standards, and the "plain" coin from 1927 had a much higher mintage, these seem to trigger a "bowerbird instinct" and most of them survive today, unlike the "plain" one which is very hard to come by.

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I did not know the term "bowerbird instinct" before today but got dat now! image
  • Options
    Love that design!

Lovely Coin!

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I have one of those, nice coin!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That's my favorite Aussie coin, too image
    Looks like a good one !!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, and one of the few times, IMO, that a single building looks good on a coin.
  • Options
    WOW!! That IS a nice Aussie!!

Shep
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.

That portrait of George V is the only coin it was ever used on, though it looks similar to E. B. McKennel's portrait of the king used on many commonwealth coins.
    Obscurum per obscurius