Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Walter Payton Basic Set Completed

This has been a fun player set, I may update some of the 8's but I am happy for now!

Time to start a new adventure (1954 Bowman football set)

Link

Comments

• Options
    Congrats!!! Nice set!
  • Options
    Chris, as the #1 set holder of this set, I must also offered congrats, and urge you to consider the Master Set if you really want to have some collecting fun. I'd be glad to help out as much as possible, as I have a lot of ungraded stuff including most of the rarest pieces.
  • Options
    BearCollector - Wow, hell of a Payton collection! I may attempt the master set one day but I want to complete a vintage set first. Thanks for the offer!

JLoo - Thanks
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Bear collector. I sent you a PM regarding your raw cards. I am starting this set myself. I have the Rookie and a couple before 1982 graded 8 and 9. The rookie is an 8.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Nice set. Love the pics. I never minded Walter but the rest of his teammates were another story.

Not sure how you got some of those cards added to a player set. Expecially the team cards that arent Bears. Some of them you can barely see him in the pic.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I was looking forward to some scans image

Congratulations on the completion of the set though!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Nice set. Love the pics. I never minded Walter but the rest of his teammates were another story. >>

What?!? How could you not like the Bears players/coaches from the 1980s?? Especially guys like McMahon, Perry, Ditka, McMichael, Plank, Ditka, Ryan. Kinda like I "loved" Tim Lewis, Body Slam Martin, Forrest Gregg. Those were some fun times.

<< <i>Not sure how you got some of those cards added to a player set. Expecially the team cards that arent Bears. Some of them you can barely see him in the pic. >>

Actually, every card in the current Master Set listing (even the Fleer Team Action cards) is associated with Walter in the Beckett Football Card Alphabetical Checklist, and is even short a few. The majority of these have been in the set since it was first released.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Congratulations on finishing the set. Always great to check 'em all off!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Bear,

Its too bad both teams cant be good at the same time. Well they were in what 2001? Bears won division but couldnt beat?? Well they sure have a good team this year. Good luck. After sitting in the superdome for XXXI I have softened a bit. The years leading up to that I was way to overboard.

My question about how you got many of those cards in was just out of wonderment. I have heard others having a hard time. It seems that many of them would go against what PSA says for master sets.

"Cards which may feature a player in the background but make no mention of the player on the card are not allowed."

I personally dont care whats in the Payton set, but I dont want some of those added to the Favre.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    What would you guys consider to be Payton's toughest mainstream card?
  • Options
    Either 84 or 85 topps, really hard to get them in 9. The last couple on eBay went for around $175 each (More than 77,78 or 79 in 9)and they dont come around often. I settled for 8's and there isnt a bunch of them around either (More 85's then 84's in 8 available)
  • Options

<< <i>Bear,

Its too bad both teams cant be good at the same time. Well they were in what 2001? Bears won division but couldnt beat?? Well they sure have a good team this year. Good luck. After sitting in the superdome for XXXI I have softened a bit. The years leading up to that I was way to overboard. >>

I sure agree about the good at the same time sentiment. I'm still waiting for a Cubs-Cards rivalry at that level for more than a year as well. BTW - they lost to Philly in 2001.

<< <i>My question about how you got many of those cards in was just out of wonderment. I have heard others having a hard time. It seems that many of them would go against what PSA says for master sets.

"Cards which may feature a player in the background but make no mention of the player on the card are not allowed."

I personally dont care whats in the Payton set, but I dont want some of those added to the Favre. >>

I guess it all boils down to what constitutes "background". In looking through the set, I can only find a couple of questionable cards - 1983 Fleer #7 and 1986 Fleer #7. Every other card he's carrying the ball. And, as I mentioned before, these are all associated with Walter in the Beckett guides for added legitmacy for inclusion.

As for me, when I first started the set there were already 80+ cards in the set including one the two mentioned above. I have requested probably 20+ cards over the last 2 years, and other collectors the rest. Yes, I takes months, but all of my requests have been accepted with proper scrutiny.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    How many of you Payton collectors have the '77 Topps Mexican? I'm assuming this is a VERY tough one. Is my assumption correct?
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, Chris. I'll join you as soon as I sack up and buy the rookie...anyone selling a nice 9?

Chris, are you going to start working on anyone else?
  • Options
    Sheamaster: I am, just not sure who and I want to start working on the 1954 bowman set.
  • Options

<< <i>How many of you Payton collectors have the '77 Topps Mexican? I'm assuming this is a VERY tough one. Is my assumption correct? >>

This is indeed a very tough one, as confirmed by the point value (and raw cost) of these to the set. It is given equal billing to the 1976 Topps RC, and deservedly so as PSA 8 TMex copies have sold for 2-3X what a PSA 9 of his RC sells for. I assume a PSA 9 copy, if ever found, would fetch at least 1/2 to 3/4 to what a PSA 10 RC sells for, if not more.

The issue to date has been splitting these among Payton and 1977 TMex set collectors. As of now, only 3 of the top 5 Payton sets have a PSA 7 or 8 copy, as even the #2 set holder has yet to add even a low grade copy. Most of the 8s came from one find by Mike Hattley of Touchdown Treasures. I bought all 4 SGC 88s he had, and each converted to a PSA 8, of which I kept one and sold 1 to a fellow Payton collector and the other 2 to the top 2 set collectors. Aside from that, they are virtually non-existent, which is too bad, because in my eyes a high grade TMex is an order of magnitude more colorful and robust than the regular Topps issue.
  • Options
    BearCollector - Congrat's on the 1984 #228 upgrade to a 10, 1 more to go!
  • Options

<< <i>BearCollector - Congrat's on the 1984 #228 upgrade to a 10, 1 more to go! >>

Thanks Chris. Yep, down to just that "easy" little 1985 Topps in PSA 10 - there would be just a slight bit of competition for that baby if someone ever gets a 10. I know I'd have a bit of interest.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an extra '76 Payton Saga Disc laying around collecting dust?

PM or e-mail me if you do please.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/