Home Sports Talk

TO Hospitalized - Vomiting Induced

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
About half an hour ago, he was admitted to an area hospital, and early reports are that the medical staff there were attempting to induce vomiting. It appears he may have had a severe allergic reaction to meds taken, but no one is saying for sure.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The official medical diagnosis has just been released. The doctors have stated that it was caused by fear from anticipation of playing the Eagles at the Linc on October 8th.
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Stevek beat me to it. For all we know, he is scared of losing to the Titans, as the dallass offense is h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e.

couldn't happen to a nicer guy -- hope he is okay in two weeks. He'll be vomiting again.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
    Hopefully this is not the case (I really mean it), but there are reports that he tried to kill himself according to Fox news.

I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I just heard that it was a failed suicide attempt, verified to ESPN by a Dallas cop.
  • cnn.com repeating the suicide attempt...

and a link - to story
  • speechless...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • My God

<< <i>Hopefully this is not the case (I really mean it), but there are reports that he tried to kill himself according to Fox news.

I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE. >>

Wow - that would be a shocker.
    If this is the case, I would be surprised if he is allowed to play again this season. The NFL has to make sure that he gets better.

Man, he could have been a football god in Philly.
    Police: T.O. tried to kill himself

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
    September 27, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes."'

Updated on Wednesday, Sep 27, 2006 9:44 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really sad.

Perhaps real mental illness is the root of his irrational behavior over that past 2 years, and he was not getting any help for it. I hope Dallas does everything they can to get him the help he needs -- football is secondary at this point.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I dislike the football player called "T.O" I hope Terrell Owens gets the help he needs and can recover from whatever ails him. Good Luck Terrell and God Bless
  • Poor Tom Landry hasn't quit rolling in his grave since the day he was placed in it. T.O. has only cause the speed of the rolling to increase.

Terrell Owens reportedly tried suicide

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Earlier story: Owens lands in hospital
    DALLAS - Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, police said, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the report were first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes."'

Owens was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what his publicist said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting.

Owens is recovering from a broken right hand he hurt a week ago Sunday. He had an operation the next day to have a plate screwed in, enabling the bone to heal without being further injured. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

The Cowboys were off this past weekend and Owens was back at practice Tuesday, although he worked out on his own. Parcells said Owens' hand was improving and he was expected back on the practice field Wednesday. Owens chatted briefly with reporters in the locker room Tuesday afternoon and seemed fine.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill -- who mostly deals with troubled players -- said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference later Wednesday, did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Earlier story: Owens lands in hospital

Report: Took ill to pain medication

Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens suffered an allergic reaction to pain medication last night and was admitted to Baylor Medical Center, according to a team source.

Owens' publicist, Kim Etheridge, said of the incident, "This is not serious."

The source said Owens' status is unknown for today's practice and for the Cowboys' game Sunday at Tennessee.

KTVT, a Dallas TV station, reported that a fire rescue team took Owens to the hospital, reportedly to the emergency room to induce vomiting. Dallas police did not confirm or deny any details. Calls to Owens' agent were not returned.

Owens was on pain medication after he suffered a broken bone leading to his right ring finger in the Sept. 17 game against Washington.

The next day, Owens had a plate screwed in to protect the bone so it could heal with no further risk of damage. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said Sept. 20, "the pain medicine made (Owens) ill."

The original prognosis was that Owens would be out two to four weeks. But after having the plate inserted into his hand, the question was whether Owens could withstand the pain of playing and catching passes with the plate.

Owens has not practiced with the team since the injury.

He caught passes yesterday on the side from teammate Sam Hurd, and Parcells said he thought Owens would join the team for practice today.

"Yeah, the swelling has gone down pretty good," Parcells said. "He's caught some balls and he ran a lot" yesterday. "(Today) he'll do something. We have a ways to go."

And Parcells said there was a long time before Sunday.

"If he can get to the point where it looks like he can function and he feels pretty good about it. . . . It's just, can he withstand the pain of catching the ball? If he can withstand it, he can play."

However, after last night's developments, Owens' status for the rest of the week is uncertain.

Last night's incident is the latest in what has been an already rollercoaster stay for Owens in Dallas.

He missed most of training camp with a hamstring problem, but returned in time for the Cowboys' season-opening loss in Jacksonville. In his home debut, he broke his finger against Washington.

"I have to see him out there being a confident player," Parcells said. "I don't want him out there thinking about something."

Originally published on September 27, 2006

Fresh stories hot off the site every day via RSS!

Have stories like this emailed right to your inbox!

Email this story

Printer-friendly version

• Just saw the police spokesman's offical statement to the press on Cold Pizza...he didn't confirm or deny if it was a suicide attempt. Did say that it wasn't a criminal offense. Are we looking at an over zealous paramedic who misunderstood T.O./vice versa???
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey

<< <i>Just saw the police spokesman's offical statement to the press on Cold Pizza...he didn't confirm or deny if it was a suicide attempt. Did say that it wasn't a criminal offense. Are we looking at an over zealous paramedic who misunderstood T.O./vice versa??? >>

More likely its CYA time for the police department. They aren't allowed to release info on a non-criminal offense and in Texas, it (suicide) is not a criminal offense according to a report I heard on Cold Pizza.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    ESPN is now listing him as Questionable on the death chart.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    TO, allegedly, is making a statement shortly from his condo.

Dallas Morning News Sports Blog Linky
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    If it was a suicide attempt, wouldn't they have held him at the hospital for a psych eval? It doesn't make sense that they would release someone that quickly after he tried to kill himself.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    if it was a suicide attempt he most likely spoke to a "Screener" at the very least.

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    He didnt try to kill himself. he is just an idiot!

God jerry wake up take your 10 million lose and cut this putz off our team! WE DONT NEED HIM! Thank god this is just a 1 year gauranteed contract. can you say goodbye after this year for sure? I CAN!

I hope he didnt try to kill himself. but if he did he needs help either way. I also hope he doesnt turn out to become someone that would harm others.
    TO to speak at the Cowboy's practice facility at 2:15
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Could it be possible that the moment the police report was made public, TO's team quickly realized that attempted suicide is not a criminal offense in Texas, thus rendering the statement private and not public? With that, a threatened lawsuit to the DPD got them to redact the statement, as well as one to Baylor Hospital to immediately release him.

I hope he gets the help he needs and I am glad he is no longer a member of the Philadelphia Eagles.

I still hope he suits up for 10/8 ....
    Watch press conference live here
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    well looks to me like kim was lieing through her teeth. and mike irvin looked like he knows something more.

TO probably is bipolar!
    How many folks believe what you just heard in that press conference? I am curious to know if I was the only one that didn't believe Owens or his publicist. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt but it came off surreal to me.
    The publicist is an obvious liar but in any event, in my opinion, it's now basically a non-story. TO for sure has some serious mental problems but we already knew that. Yes, this story is over but the never ending saga will continue of Terrell Owens being irritating and disruptive in whatever he does.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kim the Publicist is an awful lair with zero credibility. I also have a hard time believing that a million dollar professional athlete who has played through pain before in his career would make such a misjudgement in the number of pain pills he took. That's almost as believable as when Barry Bonds said he didn't know what was in "the cream" but didn't think twice about spreading it all over his body. That just doesn't sound plausible to me, though TO did not see3m to be depressed today so maybe it is indicative of a bipolar disorder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    :coughbullsheetcough:
  • I wish T.O would have just taken a page out of Donnie Moore's playbook and blown his friggin brains out to save us all the hassle. Man is nothing but a wastse of perfectly good oxygen and has no idea what the everyday person has to do to FimageG survive in the real world. Do us all a favor next time and finish the job properly!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish T.O would have just taken a page out of Donnie Moore's playbook and blown his friggin brains out to save us all the hassle. Man is nothing but a wastse of perfectly good oxygen and has no idea what the everyday person has to do to FG survive in the real world. Do us all a favor next time and finish the job properly!

Wow.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • After seeing TOs statement and thinking about it a bit today, I completely believe his bizarre behavior was a result of mixing painkillers with some other kind of substance... Hard to believe someone who thinks the world absolutely revolves around them would try to take their own life... It will probably make a good story for the next book/record/tv movie from TO..

<< <i>After seeing TOs statement and thinking about it a bit today, I completely believe his bizarre behavior was a result of mixing painkillers with some other kind of substance... Hard to believe someone who thinks the world absolutely revolves around them would try to take their own life... It will probably make a good story for the next book/record/tv movie from TO.. >>

All I can say, if that is true any other person I know would have shown some outrage at what was said by media. When is the last time TO played nice and then didn't turn immediately around and go off the deep end.
  • time to cue up ESPN's round the clock obsession and get all their football experts to weigh in on their pyschological evaluations. At least it's not the dog days of summer anymore with nothing to cover. Hopefully this story gets buried. Ugh. don't bet on it.
  • With this guy's past behavior are we expected to think that he is not a head case?

Should we believe that he is not prone to acts designed to garner attention, which is the actual goal of most suicide attempts?

I hear that gerbils were involved. There reportedly was an angry mob of rodents seen protesting outside the hospital.

Also, there is a report that while in the hospital T. Blow could only chant, "Why does that Simms kid have to get all the attention. Why does that Simms kid have to get all the attention."

No sympathy here. If you're bipolar recognize it and get help.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    From what I heard it was an adverse reaction to the painkillers and a nutritional supplement...I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but with the playoff races in baseball still in contention, I cant believe the attention this story is receiving.
  • I can't wait to see the signs the Eagles fans will bring to the Dallas game.

• << <i>I can't wait to see the signs the Eagles fans will bring to the Dallas game. >>

Pill bottles.

Business cards for the local suicide hotline.

A well known local sports talk radio figure held T.O.'s funeral last year before the game, complete with coffin.

Saw a few T.O.s hung in effigy in the parking lot before that game also.

This year will be particularly brutal.

Sweet.