Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Are uncirulated 1963 Franklin half dollars worth anything ungraded?

Is it better to have an uncirculated coin graded?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Is it better to have an uncirculated coin graded? >>

I think it depends on who's looking at the coin. There are those with confidence in their abilities to grade the coin accurately, and thereby determine it's condition and value, who may not care if it's currently graded by a third party. Others may not have the same confidence...or may simply not be interested in taking the time to submit them to be holdered...if indeed they care to have them holdered at all.

<< <i>Are uncirulated 1963 Franklin half dollars worth anything ungraded?

<< <i>

Also depends on who's looking at it, as well as obviously it's condition and strike. The coin's actual value is substantially unchanged whether it's holdered or not. Surely the holder it ends up in may influence it's sales price, but the holder it ends up in theoretically depends on its condition in the first place. image In the case of a 1963P Franklin, any gem ms65 or above with an FBL strike is worth a decent amount...holdered or not.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I personally have a very hard time grading Frankies.
    I could swear all that I have sent in are MS, about half come back AU58! image
    Luckily I have only sent in about 8 or so........then again a 1955 I sent in is coming back MS65FBL!

If you are sure it is a FBL in a higher grade grade it, if not I would not waste the money.

To answer your question, yes they are worth 'anything'....what someone is willing to pay for it.
    Check eBay for current completed auctions.

Addressing your second question, Is it better to have an uncirculated coin graded?, depends on the coin. If it's going to cost you $18 to grade a $15 coin, then no, it's not better to have an uncirculated coin graded (as in the case of my AU Frankies).

My question to you, why is this on the BST forum? Do you have Franklins for sale? image
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the info. Yes, we have a roll of 1963 Frankies that are high quality. Four or five appear to have never been circulated. We just don't really know what we have since we aren't the ones who collected them. I posted photos of them a week or so ago, but there was no response, so I assumed they are not very sought after. As far as Ebay, I have looked and I can't determine why some go for 1000+ dollars and others that look the same to me go for 8 or less. At least 2 of our Frankies are absolutely beautiful and look perfect to me, but I know that serious coin collectors would be able to determine their value. Yes, we are interested in possibly selling them. I've never had a coin graded, so I wasn't sure if it should be. We are not opposed to it though. Thank you again for the info. PM if you know of someone who is interested. I have photos that I can email.
  • Options