2 06500923 1954 DAN-DEE JIM HEGAN POTATO CHIPS 5
3 06500924 1971 TOPPS 600 WILLIE MAYS N/A 5
4 06500925 1972 TOPPS 50 WILLIE MAYS IA N/A 7
5 06500926 1970 TOPPS 30 BART STARR N/A 8
6 06500927 1970 TOPPS 90 O.J. SIMPSON N/A 7

Date Received: 09/18/2006
Date of Grades Posted: 09/26/2006
Date Shipped: 09/26/2006

I hope that what I have been reading about club submissions on the CU boards is true about the club submissions being graded tougher.
I had hoped for a better grade on the Rizzuto/Martin after comparing it to scans of other graded Rizzuto/Martins on Ebay. I was surprised by the grade on the Starr as I thought that the Simpson would receive the better grade. Both Mays and the Hegan were right about what I expected.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    First off, welcome !

Do you use a loupe and some good lighting when pre-grading your cards ?

I dunno about first submissions for club being tougher, when I joined I nailed mine dead on, but I tend to be very, very tough on cards, even my own.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

Some of my submission were cards that I took into a local dealer and had him look them over and give an estimate of the possible grade. Two others were ones that I picked out from my collection myself. At the time I did not have a loupe, but have since purchased one. I joined to get some of my vintage slabbed so that their condition would not decline. The biggest disappointment was the Rizzuto/Martin. The dealer projected it to be at least a 7.

By the way, the two I picked out were the 72 Mays and the 70 Starr. The Mays got what I expected and the Starr was actually better than what I expected.

A question as I finish: Is there a way to measure centering besides using a well-marked ruler and some math skills?
  • Options
    the rizzuto martin may have a few wrinkles if you thought it was that nice and it only received a 5. as for measuring centering you dont need to go there. they dont measure it. when they grade them they just use a guesstimate with eye appeal having an impact on the grade when centering is close to one grade or the next.
  • Options
    PS dont always believe what people say as i have found the club submissions to be graded at the same scrutiny as my regular submissions and i have been dealing with psa since 1992.
  • Options
    scans added
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the rizzuto/martin card looks about right in the scan given the corner wear and the centering , the upper right corner has a pretty good ding and all of the corners exhibit wear. the dealer that predicted a 7 is still grading in 1982 imo

welcome aboard!