Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question for eBay sellers about preferences

Is there a way to set up your seller preferences to require bidders to have a certain minimum rating that you define? I have seen the option where it lets you prevent bidders who have a cumulative rating of -3, -2, or -1, but what about anything higer than that? Is there a way, for example to require bidders to have a +5 rating or better?

I would like to be able to limit bidders to those who've gone through a few positive transactions already.

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Nope.

Would be nice, but nope.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Bummer. image
  • Options
    Actually, there is a way, but it is very cumbersome and time consuming. image

Include the limitation in your description, then monitor the bidding and cancel the bid of anyone who doesn't meet the qualifications.

I would probably also add the bidder to my blocked list (a) to prevent him/her from rebidding, and (b) to keep people who can't (or won't) follow the rules out of all of my auctions.
    Roy

• Options
    Yeah, I guess that would do it, though I'm not sure I'd have the patience to keep monitoring it.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to be able to limit bidders to those who've gone through a few positive transactions already. >>

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. All eBayers have to start at zero feedback. How would you feel about being blocked because of lack of experience.

I have bought and sold many items from folks with 0 to 5 rating and was proud to give them their 1st positve rating when the transaction completed satisfactorily. Just as proud to receive positive feedback from sellers when I was a newbie.

Be cautious - Yes, but give 'em a chance they just might become one of your regular buyers.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with Gene and I have had mostly good experiences with zero or low feedback bidders.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Gene, with all due respect, here is my rebuttal:

I've been burned once before by someone who had a very low rating...can't recall exactly what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was +1...and they ended up being a NPB. I had to relist and got less money than I would have the first time (I don't believe I had any other bidders that first time, so no "second chance" was in effect).

I am nearly at the point of being burned again...this one by a brand new eBayer who, when they bid on my auction, was at zero. They got positive feedback from another seller three days after my auction ended, yet they have failed to respond to any of my 3 emails and to date yet I have not received any payment or communication from them whatsoever.

I am not a dealer, just a collector who is trying to sell some coins I no longer want. Because I tend to collect on a low budget, these pieces aren't likely to bring much of any interest to any dealers. When I sell coins, it is so I can use the funds to then purchase ones that I do want.

This particular auction happened to end at around $20. That might seem like a pittance to some, but for me, it's a decent-sized auction. In fact, out of the few auctions I've run recently, that was the largest "price realized". So, here I have my best auction result in terms of final price, yet I have to deal with some deadbeat who doesn't know how to communicate or follow through on commitment.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I strongly disagree with this sentiment. All eBayers have to start at zero feedback. How would you feel about being blocked because of lack of experience.

I have bought and sold many items from folks with 0 to 5 rating and was proud to give them their 1st positve rating when the transaction completed satisfactorily. Just as proud to receive positive feedback from sellers when I was a newbie.

Be cautious - Yes, but give 'em a chance they just might become one of your regular buyers. >>

image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    I agree with Gene, all we started with 0 feedback. Also I have had bad experiences with high feedback users, I think you can't judge.
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with Gene, all we started with 0 feedback. Also I have had bad experiences with high feedback users, I think you can't judge. >>

I concur. My worst experiences have been with powersellers. They grow too large too fast and end up simply not giving a damn about customer service. Moreover, since they have huge feedback scores, they don't give a darn about receiving negative feedback.

Here's a prime example. This Ebay powerseller has almost 100,000 positive feedback... but look at how many neutrals and negatives they get a month! You could say that they're screwing 500+ customers per month!

Ebay Linky
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, you can!! Read this page. >>

Umm.... no.

That allows you to block prospective bidders or buyers that have NEGATIVE feedback, but you cannot set a positive threshold, e.g., only allow buyers with 20 feedback or higher, which is what the OP originally asked.