Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My Kennedy Proof Set is complete!!

I entered the last 3 coins to my Kennedy Proof Set last night. It's not a set that will ever win any awards but I'm happy with my accomplishment. I don't have anything spectacular (and my photography skills suck) so there isn't any pictures. My first goal was to complete the set and my second goal is to have 100% DCAM so I still have 8 coins to upgrade.

This brings up a question concerning the set rating. I have the '69 & '70 in 68CAM and I won 66DCAM for both of these coins yesterday on eBay. Will my set rating go up when I replace the 68CAMs with 66DCAMs or will it drop?

Millertime

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it would drop since the CAMS get 1 point making the 68's 69's and the DCAM 66's would go up 2 points to 68's thus you would loose 1 point on each coin.

My opinoin, forget the points and go with the coins you like best. Don't get caught up in the point game.

JMHO, Jon
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Amazingly, your set rating will drop, but who cares (I bet the 66DCAMs are nicer looking coins).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I'm definately not pursuing points on the set so I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the DCAM's.

Millertime
  • Options
    image for finishing the set.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your set! It was a wonderful feling when I completed mine! I'm still in love with the Kennedy and plan onm keeping my set for a long time.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrates on getting them all.

Sorry to say now the big bucks kick in. As I found out those early dates in DCAM can cost more than the rest of the set. But time and the perseverance will come though. And you will find that most are available except for the SMS coins are few and far between and will require some deep pockets

imageimageimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! It's a great feeling to complete a set.

<< <i>Sorry to say now the big bucks kick in. As I found out those early dates in DCAM can cost more than the rest of the set. >>

Very true. No way in hell I could afford to buy the ones I own if they'd already been slabbed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Congrats on the completion. It's amazing that your set has an overall rating of over 70 points and still isn't anywhere close to the top.

Anyway, superb job on the completion and hope you get al of your DCAM's that you're looking for.
  • Options
    Congratulations! I’m glad to see you picked a “Humble and Noble” series to collect.image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finishing the set. I agree that replacing cameos with deep cameos makes for a more attractive set.
    Now you can work on upgrades!!

Cameonut
    (CGMIII Collection - #25 on the Kennedy proof set Registry - but 100% Dcam)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for the DCAMs as well. It's worth sacrificing points, IMO.

Congrats! image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    congrats on finishing the set, DCAMs are nice!

• Options
    I received the 66DCAMs today and I like the look of them much better than the 68CAMs. I'm going to stick with my goal of 100% DCAM.

Thanks for the kinds words.
    Millertime
  • Options
    Congrats on a very nice set. Choose the coins that you like. Points are OK, but in the long run you will find coins that have certain characteristics that appeal to you... and that matters most. Even when you drop a point or when you think you have found the perfect coin..... keep looking. I have replaced PR70 coins in my set several times because I found a coin that I liked more. It took me a long time but I finally got the set where I really like every coin..... but I still look.

Again, congratulations on building a great set.

Parke Kallenberg
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Hey, I don't see the '68-S 68DCAM in your set yet? image
    Sometime soon I suspect.

Good luck upgrading those early dates. image
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Hey, I don't see the '68-S 68DCAM in your set yet? image
    Sometime soon I suspect.

Good luck upgrading those early dates. image >>

As soon as the tag get through everyone I'll add it to the set. I just want to wait and make sure no one has any issues with the trades I made.

Millertime
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations,
    I happen to love that coin and the two in DCAM I own. You've got me thinking I might start a set.
  • Options
    headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    image on your completion of your Kennedy's.

What's next? War Nickels.

Good Luck on all your endeavors.

JD War Nickels
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    War Nickels in PCGS MS64 only and I'd like to do a Mercury set in rattler holders (regardless of grade). These aren't high value sets but they aren't the easiest things to find.

If anyone has any let me know. Thanks.

Millertime