Home Metal Detecting
Options

Non Detector Indian Head found.

Hi everyone,
I really enjoy reading all the posts about your finds. I do not have a detector but have always wanted one. Money and time are 2 things I don't have right now. Maybe some day.

Anyway, my wifes grandmother has been in a nursing home for about three years and about three years previous to that she was living in her home (next to my in-laws) being taken care of by my mother in law. We are now cleaning out the house so my wife and I can renovate and move in. I was in the bedroom and right in the middle of the hardwood floor was this Indian Head penny dated 1899. I knew what it was when I saw it on the floor as the Indian Head was always my favorite coin for some reason. Both of my in-laws, my wife and even my 2 children must have walked over that coin several times in the past year until I finally noticed it.

I know its not much of anything but it was a nice and fun find for me.

Good luck hunting everyone,
Bob
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find! Thanks for sharing it- really.

If you found it this month, it's eligible for entry in the "Wild Card" category of the monthly awards (the category for non-detector finds).

This month's entry thread

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- if the house is that old and you'll be renovating it and moving in, I think you should arm yourself with a certain kind of electronic magic wand, and get out there in the yard, eh? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    LordM - The house is not that old. It was built in 1950 by my father in law and family. My wife grew up next to the house and was there all the time. Wish I knew if my wifes grantmother or grandfather had a stash of coin somewhere.

By the way, the coin was found over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Well, 1950-something is old enough for some silver in the yard. And if there was an older house on the site previously, all the better. When I was a novice, a friend and I dug lots of Wheat cents and several Mercury dimes in the yard of a house that was built no earlier than 1950. My pal got a Standing quarter, too, which made me really jealous, even though it was dateless. It had an "S" mintmark.

I stick by my earlier comment- you should still get a detector (maybe just an inexpensive one) and poke around in the yard. Maybe you won't find anything else, but you might get some pleasant surprises. At the very least, the kids might have fun.

• Options
    Yeah that sounds like an awesome place to hunt! By the way, nice IHC find! Found one on the floor of my garage the other dayimage
  • Options
    i work for a retirement home. occationally i find coins there. its common for a deceased person's furniture to be given to the property owners. looking through the furniture, i've found some half dollars, 1 indian cent and several tax tokens.

gotta get it when ever or where ever i can. most people overlook these items.