Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone game for a 79-S MS65 Morgan in a Rattler

2»

Comments

• Options
    I still don't understand where the 2 grand came into play. Cripes, a 65 brings about $300 or more. where's 2 grand comin' from?image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    in this game,

Toning 6-8X
    old rattler syndrome- 2X

Depends on who's playing....if there were 3 or more strong players...wouldn't be shocked to see it go 2x the last price....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    For some reason, the photos of the scratched coin do not show up on this thread anymore.

Either mbcoin removed them, or something funky is happening with his server.

I'm guessing that since the coin in mbcoin's auction was really colorful, and that the scratched coin out of the holder was toned, but not colorful, that mbcoin probably dipped the coin after he cracked it out to see if the coin was salvageable (which is just what I would have done).

If mbcoin did indeed dip the coin, he probably should have mentioned that in the original post.

PS: I did save copies of the original photos.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    I don't understand the uproar about MOC scratching out his coin. He bought it back. It's his coin for crying out loud, he can do with it as he wishes.

Now don't get all soapy on me and start posting about how we should be saving these coins for posterity when 90% of the posts aroud here are about making money with these birds.

A true collector setting here at this 'puter.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options

<< <i>but I am still astounded that anyone would intentionally deface this coin, post a photo of it and then by implication self-congratulate themselves. >>

You've hit the nail on the head. This self-congratulatory tone is what gets me. This guy just doesn't get it and probably never will.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now don't get all soapy on me and start posting about how we should be saving these coins for posterity when 90% of the posts aroud here are about making money with these birds. >>

The good news is that it was a '79-S which is about as common as dirt.

But the problem isn't -- and never has been -- strictly about making money. That's neither criminal nor immoral. The problem concerns making money through misrepresentation, deception and outright fraud.

I guess the weird thing is that this thread seemed to be expecting a lot of pats on the back. Yes, the parties involved apparently agreed to do the right thing by getting this off the market, and that's a good thing. Had it ended there I would be among the first in line to do so. But it looks like they went beyond that for "dramatic effect" and willfully damaged a coin in the process. As has been said, yes, it probably wouldn't make 5 after a couple of dips remove some of the luster, but it still would have been a collectible coin, perhaps still a 63? I just saw no benefit in damaging it more than necessary to remove the rainbow-style toning. And if the dipping left it looking like puke, so be it. If it looked like puke it won't sucker anyone into paying $2,200 for it any time soon, would it?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still don't understand where the 2 grand came into play. Cripes, a 65 brings about $300 or more. where's 2 grand comin' from?image

Tom >>

I think MOC slipped a decimal point -- the closing price on Ebay was something like $222.50.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think MOC slipped a decimal point -- the closing price on Ebay was something like $222.50. >>

It was $2,225.
  • Options
    Here are the original scratched pictures.

Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand the uproar about MOC scratching out his coin. He bought it back. It's his coin for crying out loud, he can do with it as he wishes.

Now don't get all soapy on me and start posting about how we should be saving these coins for posterity when 90% of the posts aroud here are about making money with these birds.

A true collector setting here at this 'puter. >>

He is certainly welcome to deface as many coins as he wants but neither MOC or MBCOIN should come on this board and expect any "atta boys" for doing what they did! Taking it off the market as an AT coin is one thing but intentionally defacing a collectible coin is something completely different! This certainly will not get anybody back into the fold very quickly.

Along those lines, since when does being an accepted member of this forum out weigh the personal responsibility of preserving the coins that we collect?

What was done was just plain wrong and done for the wrong reasons. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin was certainly dipped in an attempt to salvage. Just look at the bottom of the reverse. Most of the toning in the scratched photos is gone.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it certainly does not appear that way.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well it certainly does not appear that way. >>

Then again, in the long view, who cares?
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the proper thing would've been to crack it out, and submit it to ANACS who would've most likely put the coin in an old holder with a net grade for questionable color.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Lost in all this wailing and gnashing of teeth over the scratching of a common date bullion coin, (who friggin' cares?), is the fact that Craig is making a very real effort to get this crap off the market. He could easily have just ignored or tried to rationalize this - as others who've been caught have done - and hoped it all went away. Instead he's doing what he can to rectify the problems caused by his actions, and he's laying his own money on the line to do so.

I do have to wonder, though, why this auction had to get to the point where Craig needed to lay in a nuclear snipe to try and get this coin off the market. The seller was informed early on that the coin was doctored, and by whom it was done. Why didn't he simply end the auction and contact Craig?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 485

<< <i>I did not scratch the coin or ask that it be defaced. I bought the coin simply because I knew that was the right thing to do.

I did ask Mike to crack the coin out of its holder and he told he was going to put magic marker on the coin not mark it up.

Unless I mis understood him. I was not happy to see the coin gouged but I am happy the coin is no longer on the market.

Magic marker I figured it would dip off. BTW I am not asking for nor do I deserve any so called pats. That was not my motive.

I simply trying to clean up a fricken mess that I caused. >>

Why would you want him to put magic marker on it if so it could be dipped off? Does he still have the coin? Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

• Options
    Why would you want him to put magic marker on it if so it could be dipped off? Does he still have the coin? Am I missing something here?

Good question.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    This seller is off my eBay favorites list for letting this auction run it's course.

<< <i>I simply trying to clean up a fricken mess that I caused. >>

-Just leave as you promisedimage
  • Options

<< <i>Defacing the coin offends me even more than the AT job - You should stay away from coins and these forums JMHO >>

-------------
    -------------
    image---This just gets more stupid. Why not dip it and give it to
    a young numismatist or the Scouts for merit bag rewards?
    I did not think this saga could get even more repugnant---IT didimage
    morgannut2
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I applaud the efforts to take the coin off the market, it does seem that in the final analysis the totality of what was done was extreme and really served no real purpose... I know... there are probably 100,000 that have been graded that look as nice as this... what is one less? I still think the beauty of the coin combined with what the coin represents deserves alittle more respect than that...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    hmm, what is one less......

If it had been dipped and resubmitted, someone such as myself (income speaking) could get a really nice $200 coin at a cheaper price...

There was no reason on Earth to do what was done to that coin.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it had been dipped and resubmitted >>

The two sets of images seem to indicate that a dip was attempted and didn't work. Not all AT will dip off.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the Holder !
  • Options
    The two sets of images seem to indicate that a dip was attempted and didn't work. Not all AT will dip off.

Exactly.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file