Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Bluemoon coins arrived and reimaged; scratch vs. bagmark question.

Got the 3 Bluemoon coins in the mail. Am pleased with the 2 Swiss pieces, but have an issue with the Canadian piece. It's quite lustrous and has some nice greenish blue toning on the reverse... but... the two hits on the reverse (to the right of "10" and below "CENTS") look to be scratches.

I thought that NGC would bodybag for scratches? When does a hit cross the line from bagmark to scratch?

Or was that why it ended up as a 62 rather than 63 or 64?

Anyway, here are the pics:

Canada 10 Cents, 1901. NGC MS62.

imageimage

Switzerland 5 Francs, 1885. SEGS MS62PL. Some serious PL action going on; very flashy. A fair amount of chatter though, hence the 62 grade.

imageimage

Switzerland 5 Francs, 1867. NGC MS63. Much nicer than auction pictures showed. I was expecting a coin that was fairly dead, but au contraire. It's quite lustrous. The golden-brown toning is a tad splotchy, but quite original. I wish I knew what the surviving population is on a lot of the early Swiss pieces... so many of them have ultralow mintages (by U.S. standards anyway).

imageimage

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I th ink they look like scuffs, not scratches.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure, Switzerland did not suffer from a lack of superb engravers in the mid-19th century.
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    imageSwitzerland 5 Francs, 1885image
    One of my All-time Favorite World Designs .......... too bad they didn't mint a gold versionimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm astonished that anyone on these forums does business with Blue Moon, considering their negative publicity here. (Some of which may be deserved and some of which may just be people with axes to grind).

That being said, I think they are all handsome coins. The Canadian piece has some scuffs that are borderline scratches, but is not bad looking at all.

<< <i>When does a hit cross the line from bagmark to scratch? >>

A good question, and one that is not easy to answer, since the line dividing the two is nebulous and not easily defined. I would say that a scratch is narrow and penetrates more deeply. A scuff is a broader mark but not as deep?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm astonished that anyone on these forums does business with Blue Moon, considering their negative publicity here. (Some of which may be deserved and some of which may just be people with axes to grind). >>

I was very hesitant myself, given the absolute slamming they receive here, as well as seeing some of the marketing spiel they use.

I figured I'd give it a try with 2 major constraints:

1. Certified coins only.

2. Pay with credit card through PayPal; that way I'd be covered regardless of the outcome.

Can't say that I have any complaints...

<< <i>That being said, I think they are all handsome coins. The Canadian piece has some scuffs that are borderline scratches, but is not bad looking at all. >>

It's growing on me, especially since the price was decent. image

<< <i>A good question, and one that is not easy to answer, since the line dividing the two is nebulous and not easily defined. I would say that a scratch is narrow and penetrates more deeply. A scuff is a broader mark but not as deep? >>

Then these are scuffs, not scratches...
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very beautiful coins, CP. That 1885 is image
  • koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I like the second Swiss coin.. good deal on all of them.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm astonished that anyone on these forums does business with Blue Moon, considering their negative publicity here. (Some of which may be deserved and some of which may just be people with axes to grind).

That being said, I think they are all handsome coins. The Canadian piece has some scuffs that are borderline scratches, but is not bad looking at all.

>>

Rob, you might have missed this thread. Considering that ebay just improved its submit best offer system with counteroffers from the seller and minimum acceptable amounts, I think that cp got a really unbelievable deal here.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It's all in the timing... image