Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Opinions---Set Registry Request- All-Time WR Set

I just received a poll from PSA to add Rod Smith, WR, Denver to the All-Time WR set. Wondering how some others feel about his inclusion.

Personally, I don't think he is quite there yet. The usual statistical qualifications for "automatic" induction to the WR set are 800 receptions, 12,000
yards. Rod Smith is over the 800 catches (he has 808), but not yet at 12,000 yards (he has 10,971). He's really not worthy without those numbers, as he isn't a Hall of Fame caliber WR. He's never been dominant. 3 Pro Bowls, ZERO 1st Team All-Pro selections and he did get a Super Bowl ring with John Elway.

If he is added, shouldn't Keenan McCardell be in as well? McCardell has 831 catches for 10,756 yards, 2 Pro Bowls, ZERO 1st Team All-Pro's and also a Super Bowl ring with the Bucs...They are very similar in stature within the game...Right along side the Irving Fryar's of the world who is already on the set..Difference being Fryar actually went over the 800/12,000...

Other Opinions?

Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree that Rod Smith wasn't dominant and isn't a HOF receiver. Eight seasons of more than 1,000 yards receiving in a 9-year span is pretty dominant IMO. He also owns two Super Bowl rings, not just one. In fact, in the '98 game he went off for 152 yards and a TD. I also love the fact that Rod Smith rose from the practice squad to such a high level. That said, I was under the impression that a wide receiver who is still active has to reach the 800/12,000 marks before gaining (automatic) entry. This is similar to the all-time running backs set and the 10,000-yard mark. Once Rod gets to 12,000, I'm all for him becoming a part of the set. For now, I voted no. Now if he retires without the 12,000 yards, I think we'll have to re-visit adding him in, because I think he deserves it.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I agree with Shag. Until he gets the 12,000 yards, it's pre-mature to add him. Let's wait till he hits the milestones and than we can avoid the debate.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I, too, think it is a bit early to add Rod Smith to the list. Consistent, durable, good numbers and worthy of consideration - but I think he should be looked at in another couple of years as opposed to now.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I disagree that Rod Smith wasn't dominant and isn't a HOF receiver. Eight seasons of more than 1,000 yards receiving in a 9-year span is pretty dominant IMO. He also owns two Super Bowl rings, not just one. In fact, in the '98 game he went off for 152 yards and a TD. >>

Shag, I don't count "rings" for guys who didn't contribute to the ring...That would be like counting Jimmy Smith as having a ring as an IR player with the Cowboys back before he actually played for the Jaguars. Rod Smith had a good game in '99 vs. the Falcons, but had 0 catches for 0 yards in the GB Super Bowl in 1998. I guess you can count that ring, but I don't...lol

While he was an excellent, consistent player for alot of years, he really only had one season I would ever consider DOMINANT. That was 2000 when he caught 100 passes for 1602 yds and 8 TDs. We've had this DOMINANT discussion before, and for me, dominant=feared.

WR's from his era I would rank as MORE dominant/feared than Rod Smith and MORE worthy of HOF status than Rod Smith?

Jerry Rice
    Cris Carter
    Tim Brown
    Andre Reed
    Marvin Harrison
    Jimmy Smith
    Isaac Bruce
    Randy Moss
    Terrell Owens
    Torry Holt

And if Rod Smith isn't even in the top 10 "OF HIS ERA", he's going to need the 800/12000 to warrant inclusion to the set and/or the HOF.

Every player listed above also went to more Pro Bowls than Rod Smith during their careers. The top 7 listed above have better numbers already, and the other 3 will likely surpass his numbers before he becomes eligible for the HOF.

Based on these facts, I just don't see how he ever gets inducted to the HOF..Unless he can put together at least a couple of more Pro Bowl type seasons..Which doesn't look likely at this point...

Don't get me wrong, because I think Rod is a fine WR and I already own his RC in PSA 9, he's definitely in the Harold Jackson class...lol...But with 10 guys better from his era, I don't view him as an ALL-TIME Great or a HOF...

Sometimes, the stats DO lie..

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't view him as an ALL-TIME Great or a HOF... >>

Well I'm glad you're not a HOF voter. LOL. Rod will be inducted in Canton. Mark my words!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't view him as an ALL-TIME Great or a HOF... >>

Well I'm glad you're not a HOF voter. LOL. Rod will be inducted in Canton. Mark my words! >>

Hmm...Willing to put some money on that??lol

Obviously, where his stats END UP will tell the final story but if he retired today, he wouldn't get in...Are you saying that more than 10 WRs from the same era will be inducted? Because that has never happened at ANY position before...Or do you think he gets in above the other 11 guys I mentioned..If so, which of those 10 is he better/more dominant than?

Facts only please...lol

Jason

• Options
    I'm disappointed in you Jason. You know how much stock the NFL HOF voters put into Super Bowl rings. HOW DO YOU THINK LYNN SWANN GOT ELECTED??? Smith may not have caught a pass in his first Super Bowl, but he did start, and he did play a very instrumental role in getting the Broncos to the Super Bowl, so he did earn 2 rings. I think the receivers you mentioned are all Hall-worthy, as is Rod Smith, who I put in the same group as your boy Jimmy Smith. Yes, I know Jimmy had slightly better stats, but to me they were always the same receiver playing for different teams.

Heck, I didn't request for Rod Smith to be added to the set, so maybe whoever did will want to pick up this argument...or maybe Rod Smith himself will come on here to defend himself. After all, we all know what they say about opinions image, and Jason and I have already stated ours. And now I'm done. Going to watch Reggie Bush BEAST against Atlanta tonight!!!
  • Options
    Jason i really think on all of the all time sets RB,s ,Wide outs ect that you should make it a rule that the player has to be retired before they can be added.

Kind of like the hall but with out the waiting period ,makes since to see how there whole carrer stacks up.
    I think when Warner was added to the QB set it is a great example of why you need to wait.How can you put Warner in the same club as Johnny U or Bart Starr
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with Skins. I not in any of these sets yet but will probably will at some point. I do think we should wait until they retire. This way we dont have the flash in the pan players.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Jason i really think on all of the all time sets RB,s ,Wide outs ect that you should make it a rule that the player has to be retired before they can be added.

Kind of like the hall but with out the waiting period ,makes since to see how there whole carrer stacks up.
    I think when Warner was added to the QB set it is a great example of why you need to wait.How can you put Warner in the same club as Johnny U or Bart Starr >>

Well, these aren't MY sets, they are PSA's...lol

In a way, I like having active guys on the set along side the retired greats, but like you said, the guy needs to be a LOCK before adding...Kurt Warner is the perfect example..He came out with 2 MVPs, a couple of Super Bowls, and then turned into Jake Plummer...This is a reason I'd like to see a guy like Rod Smith become a LOCK before being added..Tom Brady is another example and I even wanted to see at least one more year out of Peyton before he was added. The LAST thing I want is to have to have guys removed from sets like Warner..That is just the worst, as many collectors might have purchased the particular card simply to fill the set. We need to make sure guys are LOCKS before adding..Even if they turn into a scrub the same day the are added, they need to be definites...

Shag, Lynn Swann had ALOT more rings than Rod Smith, did it in alot more spectacular fashion, and was also a Super Bowl MVP for a "Team of the Decade"...Like I said, STATS DO LIE, and they rarely tell the whole story...Jimmy Smith and Rod Smith are a pretty good comparison stats wise, but Jimmy was clearly better..He caught alot more "game winning" TDs than Rod Smith and drew double teams probably 50% more of the time..Rod Smith wasn't even the best WR on his own team for many of his years...Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey out-performed him on his own team more than once. Jimmy Smith was THE best player on the entire Jaguars roster for many of his years.

You say all of those WRs listed are HOF material, PLUS Rod Smith??? That's 11 WRs from the same era and that just isn't going to happen. There are only 19 WRs IN THE HOF...In the history of the league...lol...I think you need to temper your HOF glasses and see that not every good player makes the HOF..Art Monk isn't in, Andre Reed isn't in Michael Irvin isn't in...All of those guys were better than Rod Smith too...

Unfortunately, Rod Smith and probably even Jimmy Smith and Isaac Bruce are going to be left out when it comes to HOF induction..Just too many players at the same position who were better during the same years...Those players are going to need Andre Reed/Tim Brown type numbers to have a shot...Marvin Harrison is the only ACTIVE WR lock, with T.O., Moss and Holt very close, but even those 3 need to do it for a little longer and a little more dominantly before becoming LOCKS.

Of course, just my opinion, and I'm not a voter..lol

Jason