Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin ID and price check(UNC). Please help

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's probably a gold Ashafri of the Indian Princely state Awadh (assuming it's 11 grams or so). Date looks to be 1246, but I'm not real good with arabic numerals. That would make it KM240 Cat $400.00 in EF.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but I'm not real good with arabic numerals >>

This might be a little off the topic, but aren't the numbers used by us everyday, 1,2,3 etc. called arabic numerals? Have the numbers we use now been stylized over the years from the original arabic numbers? I just find these things interesting.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's true, I guess they are called that. I don't know how to define the difference.

OK, let's just say I'm not good with Hyderabad Arabic numerals. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This might be a little off the topic, but aren't the numbers used by us everyday, 1,2,3 etc. called arabic numerals? Have the numbers we use now been stylized over the years from the original arabic numbers? I just find these things interesting. >>

You're absolutely right, Ajaan -

<< <i>Arabic numerals, known formally as Hindu-Arabic numerals, and also known as Indian numerals, Hindu numerals, European numerals, and Western numerals, are the most common symbolic representation of numbers around the world. They are considered an important milestone in the development of mathematics.

One may distinguish between the decimal system involved, also known as the Hindu-Arabic numeral system, and the precise glyphs used. The glyphs most commonly used in conjunction with the Latin alphabet since Early Modern times are 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

The numbers were developed in India by the Hindus around 400 BCE. However, because it was Arabs who relayed this system to the West after the Hindu numerical system found its way to Baghdad, the numeral system was seen as "Arabic" in the eyes of the Europeans. Arabs themselves call the Eastern Arabic numerals "Indian numerals," ÃÑÞÇã åäÏíÉ, (arqam hindiyyah) and use a different set of Arabic symbols as numerals... >>

Read the whole Wikipedia entry here.