Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

HOLY COW!! CHERRYPICKERS HAS ARRIVED.....GIVEAWAY FOR YN

OK....as I pointed out in Thiggy's thread the other night...I spoke with a rep from Whitman (who happens to be a member here). He was extremely helpful and checked and found out that my book had been shipped to the house we lived in THREE years ago so he told me another one would go out that day to my new address.

I asked what I should do if I happened to get 2 of them and he told me it was mine to do as I pleased. So here is what I am going to do with it.

.....THE BOOK IS YOURS.

As I explained the other nite, I perused the book and was extremely UNimpressed, which is no fault of Whitman. The new numbering system is a bit ridiculous and there aren't even any CBH's in the book.

I do have to give some Kudos to Whitman and to their member here that helped me. They deserve many thanks for bailing JT Stanton's butt out of a deep mess.

I still stand by my prior statements that JT Stanton is an embarrassment to this fine hobby. He should be ashamed to show his face in the numismatic world.

Comments

• did it really arrive, and wtf your doing a giveaway with yours too?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Did your package contain a fine, white powder in addition to the book? image

• << <i>Did your package contain a fine, white powder in addition to the book? image >>

mine did, I snorted it and now I can taste colors, and I turned into a cartoon charector, when I look at my hands they both have 4 fingers and look like homer simpson hands image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

OK....as I pointed out in Thiggy's thread the other night...I spoke with a rep from Whitman (who happens to be a member here). He was extremely helpful and checked and found out that my book had been shipped to the house we lived in THREE years ago so he told me another one would go out that day to my new address.

I asked what I should do if I happened to get 2 of them and he told me it was mine to do as I pleased. So here is what I am going to do with it.

[WINNER].....THE BOOK IS YOURS.

As I explained the other nite, I perused the book and was extremely UNimpressed, which is no fault of Whitman. The new numbering system is a bit ridiculous and there aren't even any CBH's in the book.

I do have to give some Kudos to Whitman and to their member here that helped me. They deserve many thanks for bailing JT Stanton's butt out of a deep mess.

I still stand by my prior statements that JT Stanton is an embarrassment to this fine hobby. He should be ashamed to show his face in the numismatic world. >>

I agree with the new numbering system being a joke. Also the descriptions are far too brief with too few pictures to accurately attribute most of the stuff in the book.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't have mine yet.image
    Doug
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I scanned through the first half of the book last night and I'm equally nonplussed by the book. The biggst problem I have with it is that the author crammed three variety listings to a page to make room for dealer advertisements. When have you ever paid $35 for a book that contained so much paid advertising?

I really hope Whitman puts someone smart in charge of a fifth edition, the concept is great and done right it could be a real boon for variety collecting, but in its current form (speaking of both volumes of the 4th edition) it's a shambles.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Doug....and anyone else that has yet to receive theirs....

PM Pontiacinf or myself and we'll give you the name of the HELPFUL person at Whitman!

I edited out the YN's name that I am sending the book to.....just to surprise him.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do have to give some Kudos to Whitman . . . They deserve many thanks for bailing JT Stanton's butt out of a deep mess.

I still stand by my prior statements that JT Stanton is an embarrassment to this fine hobby. He should be ashamed to show his face in the numismatic world. >>

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Mine finally came last Wednesday. Hell hath frozen over! imageimage
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did your package contain a fine, white powder in addition to the book? image >>

Funny-I've also heard a rumor to this effect.

<< <i>

<< <i>Did your package contain a fine, white powder in addition to the book? image >>

Funny-I've also heard a rumor to this effect. >>

I thought it was prescription pain mediciations, like Elvis. Also like Elvis, his last piece of "creative output" stinks.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Please enter me in your fine giveaway.

I am a Yankee Numismatist. Just ask Louis!!!image
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I think the new numbering sysytem makes sense. It just takes some getting used to. My main complaint is the lack of credit for submitting and/or reporting new varieties, which I blame on Whitman, as both JT and Bill gave ample credit for these things in previous editions of the CPG. (I guess Whitman had to keep a lot of space for the advertisements.) I submitted over $25,000 worth of doubled dies-everything from Roosevelt dimes to Trade dollars-to JT for inclusion in this new volume, and got only a small mention in the front of the book. No fewer than two of my coins, one the discovery piece, were pictured on the COVER of the book. I also have a big problem with pricing and attribution (as to the Class of double dies) of many of the varieties listed in the book. I'll email JT concerning this, but, somehow, I doubt it will do any good.
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭
    hmmm.... a "him"

<< <i>Actually, I think the new numbering sysytem makes sense. It just takes some getting used to. My main complaint is the lack of credit for submitting and/or reporting new varieties, which I blame on Whitman, as both JT and Bill gave ample credit for these things in previous editions of the CPG. (I guess Whitman had to keep a lot of space for the advertisements.) I submitted over $25,000 worth of doubled dies-everything from Roosevelt dimes to Trade dollars-to JT for inclusion in this new volume, and got only a small mention in the front of the book. No fewer than two of my coins, one the discovery piece, were pictured on the COVER of the book. I also have a big problem with pricing and attribution (as to the Class of double dies) of many of the varieties listed in the book. I'll email JT concerning this, but, somehow, I doubt it will do any good. >>

I dunno if I'd blame Whitman for the lack of credits. Whitman didn't sell those ads, JT did - they were all over the first volume, too. The older editions had a credit under the photos, either 'discovered by' or 'coin courtesy of', but those must have been a victim of the space crunch on this volume.

I seriously doubt JT will have anything to do with a Fifth Edition if one ever comes to fruition. Frankly, I think the series would be best served by reducing the number of varieties listed and focusing on the more interesting / scarce ones. Asking this one book to be the go-to source for all varieties in all US coinage just dilutes the usefulness of the reference. It will also free up some space for the individual listing credits. image

Sean Reynolds

Ugh... hey goose, can you edit the "G word" out of your title so this thread can go back where it belongs?

Sean Reynolds

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Sure, I'll play. I've only been waiting a couple of years for the book to come out, but now that it has come out, my coin stores dont have any in stock image.

Oh well, thanks for the chance.
  • oh well I guess they do not care where they toss smoe recent threadsimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • I wonder what the person who lived in your old house thinks about the book image

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!

• << <i>I wonder what the person who lived in your old house thinks about the book image

TKC! >>

I believe the family parrot is ejoying playing "bombs over tokyo" on it

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill