Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Looking for a new vintage baseball set that has a high pct. of Hall of famers and stars

Hi Guys, I might be starting a new PSA graded vintage set soon. I would prefer the set be not only affordable but also not be filled with 90% - 95% of commons. I'd like some ideas on vintage sets that have a large pct. of Hall of fames and major stars in the player content. I've done the 787 card 1972 Topps set so I don't need another "monster" in my life. A set with 50 - 250 cards would be big enough for me. Any info on the sets that you suggest would be great also. Thanks for the input. Neil

Comments

• Options
    1963 Fleer or the 1964 Topps Giants come to mind quickly. Both sets are small and have a high percentage of HOF players as well as stars of the day.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Without a doubt I would suggest the 1964 Topps Giants. 60 cards to the set, loaded with stars and hall of famers. Extremely affordable even in PSA 8 & 9, and look great, especially in PSA holders.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Neil, I've got a nice start on the set if you'd like to take it over. Check them out....ArnyVee's 1964 Topps Giants Set!

All of them are PSA 9s (aside from a few SP cards) and it's already over 35% of the set. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Neil,
    How bout' a low grade T-206 Set. image .... or just the T-206 HOF Set.

T-205's have some of the same player content but the set is significantly smaller than "the monster". If you can get over the chipping on most low grade T-205's the image color is great and it has great content.
    RayB

Think Pre-War!
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Ray-
    That would be an awesome set to start, however his original request is that he can make the set affordable. I honestly can't think of too many sets that are affordable and have such a high percentage of H.O.F's. The only two that fits your description is 64 Giants and 1961 Golden Press. A really nice set is the 1964 Topps Stand ups which is small, inexpensive, and a very nice HOF selection.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I would consider the 64 Stand Up set affordable. It has a high number of stars and HOF's but the Mantle, Aaron, Mays and Clemente alone will be around $2,500 and they are very hard to find w/o print spots, chipping or other detractors. Plus it has a few SP's and low pop cards. I would suggest 63 Fleer, recent finds have made it much easier to attain even the checklist in a medium to high grade. It is missing a Mantle however.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    1972 Kelloggs All Time Greats

Number of Items: 15

Card No. Item Name Grade
    Weight
    1 WALTER JOHNSON 1
    2 ROGERS HORNSBY 2
    3 JOHN MCGRAW 1
    4 MICKEY COCHRANE 1
    5 GEORGE SISLER 1
    6 BABE RUTH 9
    7 LEFTY GROVE 1
    8 PIE TRAYNOR 1
    9 HONUS WAGNER 5
    10 EDDIE COLLINS 1
    11 TRIS SPEAKER 1
    12 CY YOUNG 2.50
    13 LOU GEHRIG 7.50
    14 BABE RUTH 9
    15 TY COBB 7.50

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Morgoth,
    I may have not been clear in my explaination of this. I was giving him an option for a small set and affordable compared to most set with that many HOFs. I have made the 1964 Topps set in all PSa 8's back seven years ago and it is not hard at all. Probably can be done with $10K or under.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the '65 set myself. Loads of HOF'ers, including 4 HOF rookie cards (Carlton, Morgan, Perez and Catfish). This set seems to be easier in high grade than some others of from the same era too.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Yeah, but he wants a set with 50 to 250 cards. So, the '65 Topps set (my 2nd favorite set of the '60s) would be too many cards for him.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How about the 68 Topps game set. Small set, cool looking cards IMO.

• Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Neil,

If your interested in venturing into the pre-war arena, I would suggest the 1940 Play Ball set. It's not that visually appealing, but it has 52 and a half HOFer's in a 240 card set. The half being Shoeless Joe Jackson. The HOF range includes Mathewson, Walter Johnson and Honus Wagner to DiMaggio, Ted Williams, and Jimmie Foxx. It has some bigger ticket cards, but most HOFer's are very reasonable for a pre-war set.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, but he wants a set with 50 to 250 cards. So, the '65 Topps set (my 2nd favorite set of the '60s) would be too many cards for him. >>

Oops, sorry 'bout that. I guess I missed that part.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Some of the early 70 Kelloggs sets might work and 62 Post cereal much easier than the 61 or 63 Post.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    I like the 63 fleer but is showing off your checklist "cool"? LOL I started the 63 fller set but it is a back burner for me. I think the 40 playball is the answer, be it afforable??
  • Options
    Hi Guys, It has been great hearing about all of these sets. I started this thread because I am feeling a little down about my 1956 Topps set. I only need 15 more cards to make it the way that I want it. Only 6 of them are upgrades from PSA 6 to PSA 7 and 9 are condition upgraded within the same PSA 7 holder. I have tried to be very picky with the cards that I put into my set. I can't afford a PSA 8 set so I want the best PSA 7 set on the market. This set has so many problems when it comes to rough cuts, chipped edges, print lines and wax stains to name a few. The rough cuts and chipped edges are so common that PSA doesn't even downgrade the card for them. I have tried to avoid them at all costs because in my opinion, they look like crap. Being so picky has left me with looking at many, many cards that I can't even go after at any price. My set just sits there because no prime PSA 7 examples have hit the open market for 6 months or more. I'm willing to pay up to SMR and over for the right cards but have had no luck filling the holes. I thought that perhaps if I start another set it will fill the need to stay active in collecting. I love the 1956 Topps set but it's not much fun if I can't stay active with it. Thanks for listening, Neil
  • Options
    Does that mean that you are going to start a new set or you were just contemplating it due to the fact that you hit the 'wall' with the '56 set?

Don't give up yet....I've hit the 'wall' on several occasions...especially during about a 4 to 5 month lull with the '84 Donruss cards. So much so that I nearly sold it off. But, the set had a nice write up in the SMR and it's been pretty good ever since. So, just keep your goal in mind and don't ever compromise for the quality that you are looking for. Good luck the rest of the way!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    '54 Bowman has 20 HOFers among 224 cards. "51 Topps Red Backs and Blue Backs might also meet your wishes. '40 Play Ball is available and dripping with HOFers, but this is not a simple set to complete in high grade.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Sort of in the vein of Stingray's excellent suggestion, how about the '70 or '71 Kellogg's sets? The '70 has (by my quicjk count) 21 HOFers out of 75 cards, (with a high percentage of notable stars among the non-HOFers), and the '71 set has 17, plus it's a bit harder to assemble because there was no complete set mail away offer that year.
  • Options
    hey neildowney-
    think you should consider the 1960 Fleer Baseball Greats set... psa 8's are plentiful & reasonable (the most you'll pay for any [ruth or williams] psa 8 is about $200! psa 7's are outright cheap!) and it consists of 90-95% hofers!
    it's colorful, nostalgic, challenging & fun!