Home Sports Talk
Options

Homefield advantage in AL playoffs . . . how important is it?

detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
Let me just preface this by saying, being a Tigers fan, I can't believe I'm starting a topic related to playoff baseball.

In any case, how important is the homefield advantage in the playoffs? Yankee fans, it appears you have homefield in round 1 locked up. Do you prefer to see your team go all out to get the AL's best record, or would you rather rest some guys and get your playoff rotation lined up?

Twins fans, if you had to pick between going on the road and having Santana available for games 1 and 4 or 5 or being at home with Santana only available for one game, which would you pick?

Being a Tiger fan, I'd like to see them do whatever they have to do to (1) win the division and (2) have the AL's best record and thus homefield in the ALCS if they were to make it that far. With no clear "ace" on their staff, I think the Tigers can afford to use their starters to the end.

Comments

• Options
    Joe Torre has gone on record about how important home field advantage is in the playoffs. He is going to rest a few injured players, but his intent is to lead the league in winning percentage. The AL already has home field advantage in the WS due to winning the all star game.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    given recent history with wildcards winning a few WS, I don't think it is vital...but I wouldn't pass it up for my team if I could get it!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Homefield is VERY important. Ask the Yankees last year. They had to travel across the coast to face the Angels for game 5. The time change, the inconvenience of packing bags....alot of factors play a roll, especially with an aging team.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Yankee fans, it appears you have homefield in round 1 locked up. Do you prefer to see your team go all out to get the AL's best record, or would you rather rest some guys and get your playoff rotation lined up? >>

It's always great to have the home field, but I don't think it's as important as in football for example. The top pitchers often nullify any home field advantage. To answer your specific question I'd rather see the Yankees well rested and have all of their ducks in order.