Home Metal Detecting

Hi everyone

I've been lurking here for quite awhile and gained alot of good info. One question I have is what effect does wind have on detecting? I've only been out a half dozen times or so and today was the first really windy day up here in Northern NY. I had alot of difficulty pinpointing my objects. Could it have been the wind? I use a Bounty Hunter detector, a $100 or so detector my daughter bought me. I have never had difficulty with it before. I still came up with 3 clad and 9 cents and a token I am trying to identify.

Comments

• The only effect I've ever seen wind have is to make it a miserable day simpky due t the wind either being too cold or making it dusty or just wearing you out walking into a wind and getting wind burn. I can't see how the radio waves from the detector would be affected by wind at all.

Welcome to the forum! image

PS Post a photo of the token. You'll most likely get it ID'd here.

When I was swinging my Garrett the stock coil would at times give a false signal from a large gust of wind, but I don't recall it affecting my pinpointing.

Please post a picture of the token if you are able. Tokens are cool and rare finds.

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Get some good headphones. They really help in the wind.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time I was ever affected by the wind while detecting was in 1998 when Hurricane Earl tore across the Florida panhandle from the Gulf and came over land to hit us from behind. It was blowing in 40- to 50-mph gusts. I was detecting a new clearcut in some woods, so I was fairly sheltered from the wind, but a big tree fell across the road in front of my van while I was back in the woods!

Actually, if that wind had any effect at all on my detecting, maybe I should pray for more wind like that. I found my oldest coin that day!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • very cool lord m....you seem to have a knack at finding historically significant pieces.....get out there and hunt will ya!....i can't wait to see what you pull up next....hh

oh yeah!...is that dirt on your upper lip ? or is that a moustache?....hee hee hee!....take care
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Wind should not affect the performance of your machine. Wind will make hearing a signal difficult without headphones though.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>oh yeah!...is that dirt on your upper lip ? or is that a moustache?....hee hee hee!....take care >>

Old picture! I went to a beard in 2000 but shaved off all facial hair in 2001. I used to need a mustache so I wouldn't look 13 years old. Now that I'm older and fatter, I don't need it anymore. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>

<< <i>oh yeah!...is that dirt on your upper lip ? or is that a moustache?....hee hee hee!....take care >>

Old picture! I went to a beard in 2000 but shaved off all facial hair in 2001. I used to need a mustache so I wouldn't look 13 years old. Now that I'm older and fatter, I don't need it anymore. image >>

I wish I was 13 again or had your problem LM. When I was young, no one cared where I metal detected and there were far more places to hunt without permission.