Home Sports Talk
Options

Simms In hospital after loss to panthers..

imms taken to hospital after Bucs loss to Panthers
September 24, 2006

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Tampa Bay quarterback Chris Simms was taken to a hospital for an undisclosed reason after Sunday's 26-24 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

Lisa Patterson, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital, said any other information would have to come from the Buccaneers, who declined to comment or confirm that the fourth-year pro was being treated a few blocks from Raymond James Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
Simms took several hard hits during the game and left for two plays in the second half. The team announced at that time that he was cramping, and the quarterback returned to help the Bucs take a fourth-quarter lead that the defense couldn't hold.

Simms walked from the field on his own power late in the third quarter and again at the end the game, which Carolina won when John Kasay kicked a 42-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining. He completed 13 of 24 passes for 139 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Simms usually is made available for postgame interviews, however the Bucs said he would not speak to reporters because he was being examined by trainers and doctors.

Comments

• Options
    HOLY CRAP

Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms had his spleen removed at a Tampa, Fla., hospital after rupturing it in Sunday's 26-24 loss to Carolina, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Chris Simms
    Simms

According to a source close to Simms' family, the quarterback's condition has been stabilized after surgery, during which he received blood transfusions.

It is thought the injury occurred in the second quarter. Simms took several hard hits and left the game for two plays in the second half but returned to help the Bucs take the lead in the fourth quarter.

Simms also has bruised ribs. He is being treated at St. Joseph's Hospital.

Lisa Patterson, a spokeswoman for St. Joseph's Hospital, said any other information would have to come from the Buccaneers, who declined to comment or confirm that the fourth-year pro was being treated a few blocks from Raymond James Stadium.

Simms walked from the field on his own power late in the third quarter and again at the end the game, which Carolina won when John Kasay kicked a 42-yard field goal with 2 seconds remaining. He completed 13 of 24 passes for 139 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

Simms usually is made available for postgame interviews, however the Bucs said he would not speak to reporters because he was being examined by trainers and doctors.
  • Options
    Looks like his season is over according to ESPN news..
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like his season is over according to ESPN news.. >>

Wow - I feel bad about the negative comments I made about his performance today. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    4-6 weeks recovery time for that surgery, but for a football player who takes body blows maybe his season is done.
  • Options
    Ruptured Spleen

Print This Topic

Email This Topic

Because of the spleen's position in the abdomen, a severe blow to the stomach area can rupture the spleen, tearing its covering and the tissue inside. A ruptured spleen is the most common serious complication of abdominal injury resulting from car accidents, athletic mishaps, and beatings.

When the spleen ruptures, a large volume of blood may pour out into the abdomen. The spleen's tough outer covering may contain the bleeding temporarily, but surgery is needed immediately to prevent life-threatening blood loss.

Symptoms

A ruptured spleen makes the abdomen painful and tender. Blood in the abdomen acts as an irritant and causes pain; the abdominal muscles contract reflexively and feel rigid. If the blood leaks out gradually, no symptoms may occur until the body's blood supply is so depleted that blood pressure falls and not enough oxygen can reach the brain and heart. Symptoms of low blood pressure and lack of oxygen include light-headedness, blurred vision, confusion, and loss of consciousness (fainting). Such a situation is an emergency requiring immediate blood transfusions to maintain adequate circulation and surgery to stop the leak; without these actions, the person could go into shock and die.

Diagnosis and Treatment

X-rays of the abdomen are taken to determine if the symptoms may be caused by something other than a ruptured spleen. Scanning procedures using radioactive material to trace blood flow and find leaks may be performed, or fluid in the abdomen may be withdrawn by a needle and tested to see if it contains blood. When doctors strongly suspect that the spleen has ruptured, the person is rushed to surgery to stop the potentially fatal loss of blood. Usually the entire spleen is removed (splenectomy), but sometimes surgeons are able to repair a small rupture.

Before and after a splenectomy, certain precautions are needed to prevent infections. For example, vaccinations against pneumococcus are given before a splenectomy whenever possible, and yearly vaccinations against influenza are recommended after a splenectomy. Under some circumstances, antibiotics are recommended to prevent infections, particularly when the person has another condition (such as a sickle-cell disease or cancer) that increases the risk of developing life-threatening infections.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he recovers quickly.
  • Options

<< <i>4-6 weeks recovery time for that surgery, but for a football player who takes body blows maybe his season is done. >>

from what i heard on "the blitz" on espn news, he will miss most or the entire season. He isn't coming back anytime soon.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Wow.....

Tough break for him. I definately hope all is well and he has a speady and full recovery.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed. Wish the best for Chris & the Simms family.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that stinks. Its fun to poke fun at players and fans of players but when they get hurt that is something different.

Matt
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Damn - tough break for him, I hope he recovers as quick as you can from such an injury. Who's the backup QB for the Bucs?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like his season is over according to ESPN news.. >>

Wow - I feel bad about the negative comments I made about his performance today. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery. >>

Same here and I offer my apology for any disparaging remarks.

If he just sucks that's one thing, but suffering an internal injury is another matter.

Sorry Chris, and Bucs fans.

Keith
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness it sounds like he will be ok. You have to admire and respect him for playing that game with that injury, amazing. image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The doctors who operated on him said had he not gotten to the hospital as quickly as he had, he would have died.

Truly frightening.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man .... very good news about Chris Simms being OK. Phil must be a wreck.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Now that it looks like Chris Simms is fine, who will be on the sidelines in 2007 for the Bucs? Gruden, Simms, or both? Simms doesn't have a contract past this year...
  • Options
    That is great news that Simms is doing okay! image
  • Options
    he could have died? damn. That's scary stuff. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. I would be scared to play football after something like that happened.
    Looks like the bucs season is over.
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>he could have died? damn. That's scary stuff. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. I would be scared to play football after something like that happened.
    Looks like the bucs season is over. >>

I think the Bucs should be fine. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you $500 that.... Oh, wait. Never mind.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>he could have died? damn. That's scary stuff. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. I would be scared to play football after something like that happened.
    Looks like the bucs season is over. >>

I think the Bucs should be fine. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you $500 that.... Oh, wait. Never mind. >>

Money up front and no checks! image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This sort of injury used to kill athletes.

One of the greatest early baseballers was a fellow named Jim Creighton. He was perhaps the greatest pitcher in the young game, even by the age of 19 or 20.

On October 18, 1862, he was batting in one game when he took such a mighty cut that something popped that many people heard. Most people thought he snapped his belt. He hit a massive home run and, shortly after rounding the bases, possibly collapsed (some reports said he finished the game in the outfield). Turns out that "broken belt" was an internal rupture -- some say it was the spleen, others the bladder, and others say a severe hernia -- likely suffered in the swing for that homer. In any event, Creighton died at his home in Brooklyn four days later, slowly bleeding to death in an agonizing fashion. He was 21.