goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
so far tonite....halftime now.

Never underestimate any Big10 team.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so far tonite....halftime now.

Never underestimate any Big10 team. >>

As usual, it's looking like Notre Dame was overrated.

There's a lot of game left, but given how Michigan took them to the woodshed and how Michigan State is handling them, it looks like their previous #2 ranking was a joke. Either that or they should never play a team with "Michigan" in its name.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, it's looking like Notre Dame was overrated.

Agreed. And with another loss, they can kiss the BCS goodbye. I've never understood why Weis gets so much respect as a head coach. He's won nothing and I believe he has the same record as Ty Willingham after this many games as head coach of ND.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Agreed. And with another loss, they can kiss the BCS goodbye. I've never understood why Weis gets so much respect as a head coach. He's won nothing and I believe he has the same record as Ty Willingham after this many games as head coach of ND. >>

Willingham had some success there. And I think he was brought in because he had some really good teams at Stanford, and the BD powers that be figured he knew how to win even with high academic standards. I think they should have retained Willingham, personally.

Weis is not Rockne, he's not Parseghian, he's not Holtz. Hell, I'm not convinced he's even Willingham or Bob Davie.
  • Options
    Willingham had some success there.

Agreed. The pointr of my comparison is that while Ty was run out on a rail out of ND, Weis is perceived as this coaching "genius" because he coached under Bill in NE. He gets far too much credit, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    ND is yet another media darling that receives far more time in the spotlight than they are due.

Perhaps them stumbling again will get more deserving teams the national spotlight.
  • Options
    Oh lord, they score a TD to come within 4 and miss the PAT!

• Options
    Sometimes it's better to be lucky.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This is why I LOVE being a Spartan fan. If you root for any other team you can turn off the TV and go do something else if your team is up 16 with 8 minutes to go-- BUT NOT IF YOU ROOT FOR MSU!! I guarantee that the entire Spartan Nation had a white knuckle grip on their remote controls as soon as the 4th quarter started. My wife, who's also a member of the Spartan faithful, went to bed after the FIRST HOLDING PENALTY with about 11 minutes left, saying that it was 'clear now that they were going to blow it' and that it would just be 'too painful to watch'. True enough, my love! True enough!
  • Options
    what a complete collapse for the Spartans....that was quite possibly the most pathetic 4th quarter I've seen in quite some time.

The Irish made them look like buffoons.

We'll certainly hear about Charlie and Brady now from ESPN endlessly until they slip up again...... In spite of that though, it was an impressive comeback from what should have been a certain loss.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That was pretty much the biggest choke job by MSU in their history.

It was almost like a movie script - first the 90 yard march in 5 quick plays, then the stupid idea by MSU to kill clock rather than keep on attacking with over 8 minutes to go, then the fumble turns in to a TD after MSU takes a bonehead pass interference penalty... a missed point adds to the drama as it's a 4 point game, followed by the completely ridiculous idea of taking a knee at the 12 on the following kick-off retun because the on-side kick return was on the field... the ensuing interception on a third down created by yet another piss poor attempt to run down the clock... finished off by yet another interception (off the guys f-ing back while he was laying on the ground)...

...it couldn't have been any more perfect for Notre Dame, it was handed to them on a silver platter.
  • Options
    We will hear how great Quinn is, never giving up in spite of certain loss, and how Weis coached them up from a bad first half.

Ugh, I wish they had lost for no other reason than to get them out of the news.
  • Options
    ...it couldn't have been any more perfect for Notre Dame, it was handed to them on a silver platter.

yes it was, and I know the feeling ... see NY over Philly last week

As an ND fan, they are overrated. I think Quinn is the real deal however, same w/Weiss -- ND is going to be a force for awhile, as they have a better recruiting attraction than they did with Ty.
  • Options
    Wow! Gotta give credit where credit is due. ND saved their season with that comeback (for another week at least). Extra difficult doing it in the rain on the road. Congrats! image

• Options
    Yes let's give ND 'credit' instead of faulting state for collapsing.

• Options

<< <i>That was pretty much the biggest choke job by MSU in their history.

It was almost like a movie script - first the 90 yard march in 5 quick plays, then the stupid idea by MSU to kill clock rather than keep on attacking with over 8 minutes to go, then the fumble turns in to a TD after MSU takes a bonehead pass interference penalty... a missed point adds to the drama as it's a 4 point game, followed by the completely ridiculous idea of taking a knee at the 12 on the following kick-off retun because the on-side kick return was on the field... the ensuing interception on a third down created by yet another piss poor attempt to run down the clock... finished off by yet another interception (off the guys f-ing back while he was laying on the ground)...

...it couldn't have been any more perfect for Notre Dame, it was handed to them on a silver platter. >>

And so we mourn.... But the question now, A7..., is this-- will our beloved Spartans go completely in the tank and finish the season with 4 or 5 wins, or will they get it together just enough to score an invitation to the Sun Bowl?
  • Options

<< <i>Yes let's give ND 'credit' instead of faulting state for collapsing. >>

Why don't we do both.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Boo - I could care less about whatever bowl they go to unless it was a significant one, and we know that's not happening anytime soon.

The only thing I would like to see is an upset of Michigan, but I don't think that's going to happen. OSU will roll all over them, so that game won't be too exciting, PSU should kill them too, and we can never beat Northwestern...

John Smith has got to go - his recruiting is garbage, his coaching is weak and lacks killer instinct

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    ND will struggle all year. They are not good(period)

Big choke by MSU and I hate that the media will hold Weis up on a pedastal for this.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Boo - I could care less about whatever bowl they go to unless it was a significant one, and we know that's not happening anytime soon.

The only thing I would like to see is an upset of Michigan, but I don't think that's going to happen. OSU will roll all over them, so that game won't be too exciting, PSU should kill them too, and we can never beat Northwestern...

John Smith has got to go - his recruiting is garbage, his coaching is weak and lacks killer instinct >>

I'd really like to see them throw a truckload of money at Petrino, although I can't see any reason why a coach like that would want to come to E. Lansing and destroy a promising career. In any case, I agree that getting rid of John L is the only viable option. Why in the hell do you take the game OUT of the hands of your Heisman hopeful quarterback in the 4th quarter? For God's sake, let the guy throw the ball. ND's defense may be bad, but ANYONE can stop the run if they're allowed to stack 8 in the box.

Overall this performace was eerily similar to a number of Lions games we've born witness to over the past 10 years. Just a potpourri of bad play calling, lack of mental focus and tough luck. I live in Ypsilanti, so I'd LOVE to be able to get behind the Wolverines and pull for them, but I'm sure you know how it goes-- once you get the green and white in your blood it's all over but the weeping.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Goose better start worrying about you team and give up your hate for ND. You guys looked worse than we did. This is a team ND stomped. The rest of you whiners wake up and realize there really isn't a team yet that has come forward and showed its #1. Some of you whining now might be sobbing later on. imageimage
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    That was pretty much the biggest choke job by MSU in their history.

My fellow Sparty man, are you kidding me? NOBODY would accept that as a movie script. Way too unrealistic.

As for the biggest choke, I'd have to say just the most recent. Throw in the hoops team, and I challenge anyone to show me a sports team / program that consistently had more heartbreaks. Terry Foster has a nice article about it in today's Detroit News. Even the ABC announcer mentioned, "well, this is Michigan State, and there's a 50 year history of . . . ".

After the game when the interviewed Weis and asked "How did you come back from that 10-point lead with 5 minutes remaining?", he paused a bit and I swear he wanted to say "Well, we felt if the tornado and lightening would just hold off, and if we could remain upright for the final 5 minutes, we knew if we just lined up 11 guys, MSU would give us the game."

Boo, I love the story about you and your wife. All very well said. We went through the same thing in our house.
  • Options
    what a choke job by MSU. Let the notre dame love fest begin. Corso is back on his "Brady quinn may win the heisman" again...yeesh
    Real recognize REAL
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what a choke job by MSU. Let the notre dame love fest begin. Corso is back on his "Brady quinn may win the heisman" again...yeesh >>

Hey skippy in case you missed it: Nebraska 56 Troy 0. image
  • Options

<< <i>what a choke job by MSU. Let the notre dame love fest begin. Corso is back on his "Brady quinn may win the heisman" again...yeesh >>

Do you prefer Strawberry or Grape Welchs?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

Jenn says, "You still haven't paid your bet, Skippy. Real men pay up!"

• Options
    skippy-

why don't you do us all a favor and just retire from here? You know that every time you post you are going to get absolutely crushed, right?
  • Options

<< <i>skippy-

why don't you do us all a favor and just retire from here? You know that every time you post you are going to get absolutely crushed, right? >>

You realize your not liked anymore than Stown is? So why don't YOU do us all a favor?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>skippy-

why don't you do us all a favor and just retire from here? You know that every time you post you are going to get absolutely crushed, right? >>

You realize your not liked anymore than Stown is? So why don't YOU do us all a favor? >>

I can actually think of several people who like Stown, myself included. The same can most certainly NOT be said for the resident DOPE.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    IM

let me make something very clear.

I do not HATE Notre Dame, hell I don't even Dislike them.

What I do HATE and DISLIKE is ESPN and their announcers constantly kissing Weiss and Co's collective asses every fall. It gets old. Hell Herbstreit (who was a HORRIBLE QB as I recall) and the announcers did nothing but RAG on Quinn for the first 30 minutes. By the time the game ended I thought Christ had arrived on the field for his second coming.

They do this while that clown John Saunders sits and continuously states that the Buckeye win was not impressive. SO what John Saunders!! They are number one until someone beats them. If we would've had some nice weather here yesterday, I think the game would have been much more explosive for BOTH teams.

and yes...while the Buckeyes did have their difficulties yesterday, your game with MSU shows that the even the Big10 bottom feeders have to potential to be VERY competitive on any given Saturday.
  • Options
    Every ESPN telecast is like that. They rag on the team that is behind then they are the second coming when they make a come back. It will be the same with Ohio State/Iowa game this Sat.

I was sick of how Drew Stanton is a first round pick for three quarters then confused by ND defense for the fourth quarter.

They should have talked how John L Smith didn't think the flag planting was a big deal, but had the guarded by three spartens after the game. He should have been more worried about getting first downs in the third quarter to run down the clock so ND had no chance to come back. image
  • Options

<< <i>Boo, I love the story about you and your wife. All very well said. We went through the same thing in our house. >>

LOL! Obviously you, I and A7... 'get it', but I'm continced that if you don't pull for State then you just can't understand. I've tried to explain this to fans of other programs that have at least a short history of fantastic choke jobs-- Arizona, CU, etc.-- but they don't really get it. ONLY a State fan could have this game chalked up as an 'L' when their team is up 16 with 8 minutes to goimage

Still, it is good to hear that this kind of insanity goes on in houses other then my own!
  • Options
    <<LOL! Obviously you, I and A7... 'get it', but I'm continced that if you don't pull for State then you just can't understand. >>

Absolutely 100% the truth. In some ways, it's like Groundhog Day, it just keeps happening and happening. But the Sparties do add new wrinkles every time. I've been watching football for 35 years, and I watch a lot of football. Yesterday is the first time I've ever seen a guy take a knee on the 12 yard line with 8 yards of open field ahead of him because he was on the "on-side kick prevention" team. I've never even heard of that. Not that it mattered much, it just meant that the ND interception return had to be 8 yards shorter.

Oh well, it's baseball season around here anyway! Go Tigers!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone's a critic...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i><<LOL! Obviously you, I and A7... 'get it', but I'm continced that if you don't pull for State then you just can't understand. >>

Absolutely 100% the truth. In some ways, it's like Groundhog Day, it just keeps happening and happening. But the Sparties do add new wrinkles every time. I've been watching football for 35 years, and I watch a lot of football. Yesterday is the first time I've ever seen a guy take a knee on the 12 yard line with 8 yards of open field ahead of him because he was on the "on-side kick prevention" team. I've never even heard of that. Not that it mattered much, it just meant that the ND interception return had to be 8 yards shorter.

Oh well, it's baseball season around here anyway! Go Tigers! >>

dfan, you and I are on the EXACT SAME PAGE. It's rare to find someone who sees a team-- any team- though the exact same lenses that you yourself do, so I'm going to indulge myself and enjoy this exchange we've had for a while.

I'm still quietly fuming at the fact that the Spartans didn't throw a Brinks truck full of cash at Nick Saban to keep him in East Lansing. They never had a coach like him before, and they never will again. If they were actually serious about competing in the Big 10 they would not have let him go without a bigger fight. If he still left for LSU, well, that's fine. But replacing him with Bobby Williams? Jesus H. I don't care if Williams had the entire PSL in his back pocket, he still had no chance of getting the job done.

But no matter. Time to pray for 6 or 7 wins and a trip to the much-ballyhooed Sun Bowl. Although I'm sure every one on the team will be back on the bong by this Wednesday, and we'll be able to look forward to an endless succession of 44-14 losses until the season mercifully terminates in November.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hey skippy in case you missed it: Nebraska 56 Troy 0. image >>

Well, at least Nebraska beat one of the Trojan teams this year!! image >>

Were these the same mighty Trojans that almost beat the mighty Criminoles in Tallahassee? image
  • Options
    <<dfan, you and I are on the EXACT SAME PAGE. It's rare to find someone who sees a team-- any team- though the exact same lenses that you yourself do, so I'm going to indulge myself and enjoy this exchange we've had for a while.

I'm still quietly fuming at the fact that the Spartans didn't throw a Brinks truck full of cash at Nick Saban to keep him in East Lansing. They never had a coach like him before, and they never will again. If they were actually serious about competing in the Big 10 they would not have let him go without a bigger fight. If he still left for LSU, well, that's fine. But replacing him with Bobby Williams? Jesus H. I don't care if Williams had the entire PSL in his back pocket, he still had no chance of getting the job done.

But no matter. Time to pray for 6 or 7 wins and a trip to the much-ballyhooed Sun Bowl. Although I'm sure every one on the team will be back on the bong by this Wednesday, and we'll be able to look forward to an endless succession of 44-14 losses until the season mercifully terminates in November. >>

Hey Boo, maybe we're not COMPLETELY on the same page (just pretty darn close). I never was much of a Saban fan to be honest. He was essentially a .500 coach with one 9-2 season added in. Plus, I always felt that the annual "is Nick going to leave for the NFL?" concern was bad for the team. We had our share of games like Saturday's under Saint Nick as well.

Quite frankly, I feel like it doesn't matter who the coach is, it won't matter a whole lot (just like the Lions).

On the bright side, as sure as the sun's going to shine, MSU's going to blow 3 17+ point leads a year, one against a highly rated opponent, one against the Purdues / Minnesotas / Northwesterns of the world, and one against Penn State. They've already got the one against the highly rated opponent out of the way. Couple that with the fact that they beat one highly rated opponent per year so that the chokes are even more painful, it's pretty much a given that they will beat either the skunkbears in Ann Arbor or the Buckeyes this year, so we have that to look forward to!
  • Options
    Goose...

I would not call Penn State one of the bottom feeders in the conference and Ohio State did what it had to do the win... and win they did by a margin of 22.

The year OSU was National champs, they had an overtime game with Illinois that was pretty exciting... a tough game with Purdue and perhaps one or two other teams.

OSU is ahead of schedule because I really do not think they have played down to their opposition this season and I seriously doubt that they will... with the possible exception of USC in the championship game.

• Options
    USC won't be there .... ND runs the gamut and then beats them in Cali
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still quietly fuming at the fact that the Spartans didn't throw a Brinks truck full of cash at Nick Saban to keep him in East Lansing. They never had a coach like him before, and they never will again. >>

Nick Saban is an excellent coach...

Michigan State has a tradition of some of the best coaches in college football... Biggie Munn and Duffy to quickly name two...

As for the biggest disappointment in MSU Football history... the 1966 Rosebowl loss to UCLA 14-12. MSU beat UCLA during the season 13-3.

• Options

<< <i>Some personal opinions on Notre Dame:

1) They will probably wind up going 9-2, worst case 8-3, and a legitimate shot at 10-1, with an remote shot of playing for the championship if the stars are aligned properly. >>

One loss ain't gonna get you to the big dance, and, if they continue to struggle with teams they should be beating handily, they won't even be in the top 10.

<< <i>2) Weis has been hyped too much though I do think he is a good coach. >>

Base on what? What quality opponent has he beaten?

<< <i>3) Quinn has not been overhyped considering that he is and was a pre season front runner for the Heisman (deservedly so based on last year's numbers). He was not hyped at all in any pre season prior to this one. That he may get a little more attention than most because he plays for Notre Dame is the very reason why they still are able to recruit some decent talent. However, it's not much different from the way Leinhart was hyped coming into his senior year. The media has to hype someone and a pretty boy quarterback (though he's VERY tough) from Notre Dame has got to be at the top of the media's wish list. >>

Leinart was 'hyped' in his senior year because he just came off winning back to back national titles. Quinn is clearly overrated, as his performances this year have been wildly erratic.

<< <i>4) The future looks very good with Jimmy Clausen coming in next year but they will need to recruit some good receivers, a top flight RB, and some fast defensive players. People say Clausen is the best high school QB since Peyton Manning and the best CA product since Elway. I saw him play last week and he seems to be the real deal though only time will tell.

<< <i>5) Willingham is not as good a coach as Weis, though Ty did seem like a stand up guy. >>

Weis has exactly the same record at this point in his coaching career as Ty did. Willingham is not as good a coach? Did I miss a memo?

<< <i>6) Notre Dame seriously needs a national title in the next few years. >>

Every team 'seriously' needs a national title - but that (a) won't stop the media from salivating over them every year, (b) making bandwagon fans stop watching, or (c) make every win to be national news.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0-5!! image

I almost feel sorry for NBC. They may end up 0-11.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭