Home Stamps Forum
Options

Pretty cool stamps I found. Any value? (fairly large pics)

Hey guys, I'm from the US Coin Forum mainly and just visiting here to check it out and ask a couple of questions.

I was looking at some of my grandpas old stuff and saw a few things along with some cool stamps. I was wondering if any of them were of any sort of value.

Here's one that's on an old-looking envelope.
imageimage

And here's one that I saw that wasn't used. It came in a bunch of used ones, and this was the only unused one.

Finally, here's one that looks cool and it was used in like 1940.

Comments

• Options
    The envelope is what is called a first day cover, the stamp is placed on a special envelope and cancelled and mailed on the first day of issue. Ralph Waldo Emerson was born in Boston, so that's where it was mailed from. image Some people collect these exclusively.

The second stamp is from 1932, the same year the Washington Quarter first started! I would hazard a guess that more than a few of these were saved.

The third thing appears to be a stamp for your car proving that you paid the necessary taxes on it.

Hope that helps. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    probably not much value unfortunately.

i have piles of this stuff from the 30's and 40's,most is worth less than face !
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I have not seriously collected stamps for 33 years, but I recognize the First Day Cover, its from a small company called Bazzar Cachets. I use to frequent that store off Boylston Street, Boston, MA - it was near Louis - and the owner "Herb" was a great guy.

Any of my catalogs are hopelessly out of date so I can't give you a value on the cover; the 3C Washington isn't worth too much...probably a buck at the most, and the Federal Tax stamp is in such poor condition that I doubt its got any value either.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Your first stamp is scott # 861. From the Famous Americans Issue. It's quite a large set. Thirty five stamps divided into 7 groups. Yours is in the first group "Authors" The centering isn't bad at all but the stain on the stamp right corner kills it. But with the extras it could sell for $20. Keep your eyes on ACSB for prices of similar items.

Your 3 cent Washington is scott # 708. F/VF maybe for the centering. What's the gum like? NH? This is from a really nice set Washington Bicentennial Issue with 12 stamps. I think you should complete it! I'm going to see if I can find a scott #710 to link over around 90 + that's JUMBO. A complete plate block set for this issue has a catalogue value of $386.50 and $279 minus scott #715. Again, cv from ACSB.

Your Internal Revenue stamp is very collectible. And not just philatelicly. A car buff would probably be interested in something like this too. Stamps used by government agencies and departments other than postage fit this bill real well. I don't know the number for this. I'm going to put an auction link up with some neat stuff like this. Check out the link I put up for the Inverted Jenny. Go to sale # 308

Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks UncleWiggly! I've got a bunch of those washington stamps, all different kinds. I'll try and get a photo of them here!
  • Options
    Here's the rest of em. Alltogether I have: 1/2, 1, 1-1/2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Sorry for the bad pics, just wanted to show which ones I have. All these, plus the 3 cent.

• Options
    Since these are your grandfather's, the sentimental value is where the value is. Catalog value for the Sc#861 FDC is around $2; although many collectors of FDC collect by cachet artist so thats just a general value. The set of 12 used Washington bicentennials are also worth around $2, but since many are not in VF condition, the price would be less. The motor vehicle stamp, RV30 cats around $0.50 but with the straight edge and staining, its whats called a "space-filler". Scott values stamps in VF condition.
  • Options
    Thanks Dougimage