Home Metal Detecting
Options

Had a religious day detecting, maybe I need to say some more prayers

Went back to the campground again today and its getting pretty much hunted out of coins I guess image . Only found one wheatie- 1944 and a little over a buck in change. Did however find two small religious medals image . One was pretty shiny coming out of ground- after cleaning it looks to have been silver plated bronze ( or some alloy of copper). Its inscription reads "O Mary concieved without sin pray for us who have recourse to thee" and has a date below of 1830 - could it be that old? imageimage

On reverse is a cross and large "M" - Methodist maybe? The other is about the same size and looks to be bronze (or some alloy of copper)- possibly plated once as well. Its a St. Christoper medal - inscription reads "Protect Us St. Christopher" as one would expect. It looks more Victorian in design to me.

imageimage

Lastly is a photo of the 1931 Canadian King George the fifth 1 cent I found yesterday at same site:
imageimage

Its one of the lower mintage ones of the series, somewhere around 3 million made was what I think the gray book said the mintage was.

Comments

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    wow excellent finds
  • Options
    <<...a date below of 1830 - could it be that old? >>

I thought the same thing the first time I found one of those, but it's just the date of a Catholic story.
    It's called a:

Miraculous Medal

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice medals image

I've found that I tend to remember this kind of non-coin finds much better afterwards. They make a nice collection image
    That Canadian cent looks nice too.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Nice finds. I really like the old Canadian cent.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Great work and hallelujah!! image

I've never found a religious medal.

HH
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage