Home Metal Detecting
Options

Where does everyone detect?!?

Everywhere you go do you always ask permission private/public?

When do you go, evening, morning, noon or night? Do you run across people that question you when you go?

Give me so story's, details, anything!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Always ask for permission when on private property. If you don't and the property owner finds you, you can literally be arressted for trespassing and if you have dug anything they can nail you for theft as well.

Public property is generally ok to hunt on without specific permission however there are exceptions. There is a small town near here that has outlawed metal detection on public property after significant damage was caused to a park sprinkler system. It seems a detectorist was digging a hot target several inches down and in his efforts broke the bronze control valve he was attempting to recover. This set the system off and not only interrupted quite a few people in their afternoon at the park but cause flooding and other damage as well.

So a good rule of thumb would be "when in doubt, ask"

Also all State and National Parks/Monuments etc are off limits as are military bases. I have numerous historical homestead sites out here I'd love to hit but they are on Air Force property. image

As to when to go, the weather will be your best guide there. Here in the desert Fall and Spring are good times as Winter can be quite cold and Summer quite hot. When I do get out it is usually a full-day affair starting at sunrise.

If there are people around they will undoubtedly ask questions, especially little kids. I usually have a stock answer when they ask me what I've found which is "just some pennies and a lot of bottle caps"

• Options
    i have to disagree with some of those statements. i've hunted several military bases with no problems. they were inactive bases turned into public areas.

i hunt construction sites mostly. i almost never ask for permission and no one ever asks me either. you really just need to respect the property your on. go after normal work hours and always cover your tracks
  • Options

<< <i>Also all State and National Parks/Monuments etc are off limits as are military bases. I have numerous historical homestead sites out here I'd love to hit but they are on Air Force property. >>

In Ohio use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I detect mostly trails, parks, and construction sites. DesertRat gives excellent advice there as far as where and what to do. I stay away from most private places because what I might find is a slug but not the one in the ground. Rarely I ask for permission to hit old houses.
    Some cities require Metal Detecting Permit (with a small fee) to detect in city parks. The safest way is to call the city before digging. I sometimes print out city ordinance or code just to make sure no violation is commited.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to hunt sport fields. Especially the area around them. If there is a hillside by the field that is usually the best place. I don't hunt on the field itself unless it is out of season. I only use a screw driver as it doesn't leave much of a trace of where you have been. Highway rest stop areas are proving to be a good area for me too.
  • Options

<< <i>I like to hunt sport fields. Especially the area around them. If there is a hillside by the field that is usually the best place. I don't hunt on the field itself unless it is out of season. I only use a screw driver as it doesn't leave much of a trace of where you have been. Highway rest stop areas are proving to be a good area for me too. >>

I have a 10-acre park here that is used as a soccer field weekly this time of the year. There is usually about 4 or 5 fields set up each weekend with the entire park full of people. It has a small sawdust filled tot lot and a long banked "hill" (maybe elevated about 6-8 feet) where kids are constantly rolling down. I plan on hitting this park very methodically once soccer season ends (it is a 10-acre square so gridding it off will be easy)
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a site like DesertRat described last January. I detected 10 times in Jan and February and came up with over a $100 in clad, several Sterling Silver rings but no Gold as of yet. I haven't had the chance to get back there yet but would like to hit it on a Sunday or Monday. Alot of times the fields haven't been cleaned up yet and you can find paper money as well. I try to work on the fields themselves after the season is over. The players may not loose much but alot of times there are pick up games where the players (adults and college kids) are wearing their street clothes and then the change comes out. I seem to find alot of watches in these areas also. I haven't found one that works yet. No Timex that keeps on ticking after a year in the ground.
  • Options
    I detect anywhere that had activity pre 1900. If you look hard enough you will find something. I also try to avoid those old sites that have alot of modern junk around. I would hit them if I had too, but right now I don't.