Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Im excited !! first time submitting across the street --- Grades are *IN*

mainly because I wanted to cross a 1994 $2 gold maple leaf (1/15 oz) from an ANACS holder to an NGC holder to match my $2 platinum maple leaf of the same year.

Other coins going in:

1988 $100 bowhead whale (I know it doesn't have too much of a premium..but this coin looks PERFECT to my eyes)
a 1902 matte proof crown (yep, Storks) Im just curious what it will come back. (was ANACS PF61)
and a 1972 Proof Winnie Dollar, also looks PERFECT to me.

I know they're not high value, but Ive never submitted and wanted to try my luck.

Also have some liteside going over, but Im sure you're not interested in that stuff image

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The crown will come back 63, it looked seriously undergraded and I was among the underbidders. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...I think this will be interesting. I wouldn't expect a 63 but we'll see image.

Cathy

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmm...I think this will be interesting. I wouldn't expect a 63 but we'll see image.

Cathy >>

I really wont be disappointed on anything it receives, I love the look and the reverse, but Im curious. image
  • Options
    Grades have been returned, I'd be lying to say I wasn't slightly disappointed.

The 1994 $2 Gold maple leaf crossed to MS69, so, mintage is about 3k, top pop image - that's good.

Bowhead Whale:

Bought this coin from michael and he said it was the definition of cameo. I agreed ! so does NGC

Here's the slight disapointment. I thought this was really a fine looking coin in-hand (I still agree, and I hope to keep it for as long as I can), shame that it got the grade it did ! maybe there are like microscratches or something that I can't see in my light. I mean, are they supertough on matte proofs ? I gues I dont have a good idea of what they're SUPPOSED to look like.

(There's an eyelash or something on this pic I notice now)

I dont know what to this of a PR60... in my mind, this is like the worst of all possible proofs, 1 step from the bodybag. I might being too hard of George image

Here's the goof I sent in, just because I wanted to see if it was ultracam, it wasn't but it still amuses me:

• Options
    the more i think about it, is if there are light scratches on the reverse I can understand the grade, for some reason when I have this in hand the matte finish blurrs them out to my eye.. I still LOVE the design !!

Just looked up the census... 1/0, none worse image
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really hoping it would go higher for you...I know when I sent it to ANACS I had thought it might do a bit better than what it did.

The story goes that the mint workers wiped the matte proofs down because of their unusual appearance, so many of them left the mint with the hairlines. But I agree with you, I love the design. I also love the matte finish the best.

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>I was really hoping it would go higher for you...I know when I sent it to ANACS I had thought it might do a bit better than what it did.

The story goes that the mint workers wiped the matte proofs down because of their unusual appearance, so many of them left the mint with the hairlines. But I agree with you, I love the design. I also love the matte finish the best.

Cathy >>

that's completely cool, it's just a learning experience, and knowing what I know now I would have done nothing different. the coin, IMHO, rocks !
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1902 proofs can be a challenge to grade...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the 1902 proofs can be a challenge to grade... >>

Have any of these matte proofs been found without the hairlines? I'm a bit shocked at the low grade on Hyperion's example.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    I like the 1902 Crown! image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last couple months NGC has gotten very tight in their grading IMO. They are also BBing a lot of coins that shouldn't be BBed IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm shocked by the PF60, I was the more optimistic. image

Here's mine which is still raw in the album.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I looked at the NGC pop on those coins just to see how other people are doing:

1902 G.BRITAIN CROWN PFMA 37 (60 - 1
    61 - 2
    62 - 13
    63 - 13
    64 - 8)

doesn't seem terribly high for an entire population, but I dont know the series well.