Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OT - The oldest man-made object I have ever owned!

This item is a terracotta oil lamp from the Late Bronze Age. It was made in ancient Israel c. 1500-1200 BC (or around the time of Moses).

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    BTW - I am told that c. 1500 BC was also about when Ajaan was in his prime!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW - I am told that c. 1500 BC was also about when Ajaan was in his prime! >>

You were misinformed.

I hit my prime c. 825 B.C. It's been all downhill since then.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW - I am told that c. 1500 BC was also about when Ajaan was in his prime! >>

You were misinformed.

I hit my prime c. 825 B.C. It's been all downhill since then. >>

Sorry about that!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • That is a cool item to have as a part of your collection.
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That is terrific ... and REALLY old!!! I think it's image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    So what's the story here? How did you come across it? How do you know it's the real thing?

<< <i>So what's the story here? How did you come across it? How do you know it's the real thing? >>

I have been collecting artifacts for all of two weeks now, so I have no clue how to tell a real artifact from a fake (although I have learned how to spot may fakes). However, I have taken the advice that I give to people who are interested in starting a coin collection: Find trusted dealers who have been in business for a long time and only deal with them until you know what you are doing. Buy all of the books on the subject you can and study them. Talk to people who understand the field and learn from them.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    It is cool. Where did you get it?

<< <i>It is cool. Where did you get it? >>

It came from an eBay seller who is a well known and respected collector of Biblical artifacts.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • That's very cool! When you want to have artifacts older than 7th century B.C, you have to go outside the coin field!

<< <i>That's very cool! When you want to have artifacts older than 7th century B.C, you have to go outside the coin field! >>

There is just something about holding an object in your hand that was used some 3,500 years ago!

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Aethelred, that's very cool.image
    Interesting item.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

• << <i>1500-1200 BC >>

Modern crap! image

J/K dead one!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • I got a bunch of rocks in my driveway that are older than that!! imageimage

edited to add: OK , you did say man-made!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

<< <i>I got a bunch of rocks in my driveway that are older than that!! imageimage >>

Shoot me a PM with your asking price.image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I was going to guess, Athletic supporter cup. Glad you defined it first.image

• << <i>I was going to guess, Athletic supporter cup. Glad you defined it first.image >>

I was going to guess an ancient bed pan with easy poor spout.

I love old artifacts like that. Makes you wonder where it has traveled and who has owned it.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!

<< <i>I was going to guess, Athletic supporter cup. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimage

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can anyone really be sure that this type of item wasn't made last year for the tourist trade?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it was a late die state example-- notice the die crack.

Did ancient oysters make shells from mud before they learned how to use calcium carbonate?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Thats amazing and historic, but it looks an awful lot like a Schwinn Bicycle seat.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pah. Mere Modern crap. image

I've personally found older, with you present the day I dug it. image

(The paleo on the left).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- Ye Deade King informs me that now coins are out and ancient antiquities are in with him, so remember the time your granny broke that old terracotta flowerpot on the back patio in 1973? Dig up the sherds from the garden, and maybe he'll trade you some nice coins for them. Be sure to use keywords like "Babylonian" and "Hittite" in your sales pitch. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.