Home Sports Talk
Options

Morneau should win the AL MVP

Besides being up there in Home Runs and RBI's he isn't that far off in BA:

Justin Morneau's 2006 Stats

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He really is having a great season, I would not have a problem with that at all.
  • Options

<< <i>He really is having a great season, I would not have a problem with that at all. >>

Agreed. Unfortunately, Jeter seems to be getting the press and he'll probably get the award as more of a lifetime achievement MVP rather than "I was the best player this season" MVP.

-Ian
  • Options
    He should be considered. Pappy, Jeter and Dye are the most bantered. I'm a Yankee fan, and quite honestly don't think that Jeter should get it. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I wouldnt have a problem with Morneau getting it at all. He is having a monster year. The big thing standing in his way might be how its commonly perceived that the Twins are where they are because of the pitching duo of Santana & Liriano. Im sure that will take votes away from him.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think I'd vote for Jeter. Not because he's 'technically' the most valuable player, but because he should get one before he retires and this seems like as good a year to shag it to him as any. Outside of him I think Frank Thomas should get some serious consideration, if only because he's one of only two guys on the A's who can hit the ball (I'm not counting that slappy Kendall).
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I think I'd vote for Jeter. Not because he's 'technically' the most valuable player, but because he should get one before he retires >>

Say what?

So, you think Jeter doesn't deserve the MVP, but somehow he deserves to win one anyway, just because he is the "great almighty" Derek Jeter? And this being the case, someone who really deserves the MVP this year, like Morneau, Santana, or Dye should not get it, so the "great almighty" Jeter can get one - just because?

Thank goodness you don't have a vote, boopotts.
  • Options
    Yep, THANK GOD!
    Honestly Boopots, that is brutal reasoning. You're thinking the way the academy does for Oscars and all of those other awards where someone has a great career, is passed over, so they give them a life-time achievement award. I think Jeter is having a great year, but he's not the MVP this year, and to give him one because he's had a great career cheapens the award.
    Jay
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boopotts, please feel free to cast your vote for Jeter becasue he is technically the best player in the league and he deserves it. That it will nicely cap off a HOF career is just a bonus.

What cheapens the award is giving it to a player who doesn't deserve it simply because he has a lot of RBI. In fact, this has happened so many times that I would argue that the award has already been cheapened as much as it could be.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.