Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I guess those guys at ANR know how to establish a market for something--the ABNCo vignettes went for

I put about 10 of the ABNCo vignettes on my watch list in the recent ANR auction. I just checked the prices realized. I was shocked. The cheapest one went for $260 (I think the prices are pre-juice), and a few of them were in the $900 to $1000 range, and one even sold for $1400!! I should have bought these up in the first auction and then resold them on the Ebay. image What do you think of the prices?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the Statue of Liberty images sold for $4600, which doesn't surprise me at all. I'm more surprised that some of the other sold for as little as $690, $529, and $632.50.

I'm going to be in trouble if they come up with a plate of something that I really want...

jonathan
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Neat stuff!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped looking at them after the previous sale. I am not a currency guy and do not need any (more) distractions. Plus, I do not want to be sucked into any WMPs (Well-Managed Promotions). image

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Aren't there thousands of these plates? I can't imagine demand remaining high as they continue to sell.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aren't there thousands of these plates? I can't imagine demand remaining high as they continue to sell. >>

Don't forget that they are all different and unique.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    There are some great items besides currency plates in these sales. I've seen some neat stuff, namely the Kentuck Fried Chicken header plate for their stock certificates coming up in our October sale, or a neat Campbell Soup label plate. There is even some great Coca Cola items coming in October. Amazing Americana items amongst the traditional numismatic items.

Doug

ANR
    Visit us at Stacks.com
  • Options
    What is interesting to me is that the plates are shown in the catalog as mirror images - i.e. as prints made from the plates would appear.

In hand, they are backward, which is either really cool or not depending on your perspective. Literally.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be happy you lost. What is the secondary market for these going to be like 5-10 years down the road when there is no hype surrounding them?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is interesting to me is that the plates are shown in the catalog as mirror images - i.e. as prints made from the plates would appear.

In hand, they are backward, which is either really cool or not depending on your perspective. Literally. >>

Yes. Personally I am focusing on the "picture" plates due to this reason (although it might be cool to have a plate with all lettering that is backwards; it might be odd to display, though).
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people who are buying the plates may be doing so with the intention of reprinting the images. This wouldn't be hard to do since most art schools, and even some individuals, have the equipment needed to do the printing. If you have ever watched a BEP spider press demonstration at a show you have seen how the printing would be done.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is interesting to me is that the plates are shown in the catalog as mirror images - i.e. as prints made from the plates would appear.

In hand, they are backward, which is either really cool or not depending on your perspective. Literally. >>

Yes. Personally I am focusing on the "picture" plates due to this reason (although it might be cool to have a plate with all lettering that is backwards; it might be odd to display, though). >>

I agree - the vignettes 'work' best. Not sure the others work at all unless you are starting a T-Shirt business.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file