Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Pics of the MS70 Lincoln

I just got my first look at the 2003 Lincoln graded MS70 and it's pretty cool. It's on Teletrade's auction block on Sep. 28th. Very cool coin, even if it is just a 2003P. I still probably won't bid on it, but after seeing it I must admit that it's tempting.

Comments

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I just sent in 2 rolls of this date to pcgs bulk department with a minimum grade of ms70rd. I ought to get a handfull of them at about $5,000 a pop. Has anyone else "dialed" on this date?
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Sounds Like fun, Let's rock that 70 Pop !!!!

Talk in a few weeks, image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this MS 70 is from a mint set or a roll?
  • Options
    I just sent in 2 rolls of this date to pcgs bulk department with a minimum grade of ms70rd. I ought to get a handfull of them at about $5,000 a pop. Has anyone else "dialed" on this date?

If you are serious, aren't you playing right into the hands of PCGS?

IMHO, it will be a while before they give out another 70. Love to hear other's thoughts????
  • Options
    pf70collector, I did not make it but i'm sure it's a mint set coin as they did come very, very nice that year in the mint sets. We will never get an actual bank rolled coin in pcgs ms70 grade unless they screw up. There have only been a few ms69 quality from rolls.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Datentype, so I guess I can hope for a MS 69 in the $25.00 box of 2006 lincolns I just bought or maybe some errors. Its a longshot.
  • Options
    no chance for an ms69 in your box of 2006 but a very outside chance for a pcgs level ms68 if they are running nice and spot free.
  • Options
    in my opinion....after this one sells for a huge price.....we will start to see more 70s.......and the poor collector who pays top dollar for this one will watch the value drop as the new 70s hit the market.......of course this is just a knee-jerk opinion and should not be taken seriously by anyone....i know nothing....just trying to participate....lol...image
  • Options
    In my opinion the 2003-p Lincoln in ms70 is a landmark coin and deserves serious $ and serious consideration at the $7,500 level if the coin is accurately graded. That date tends to be so nice that I'm sure there are several out there in 9 holders that are right in there in terms of quality and perfection. There are several bronze Memorials that I would view as more valuable in pcgs ms68 and the same with the post 82 zinc core coins in ms69. They are all accross the board these days in terms of consistency, so you never know.......
  • Options

<< <i>In my opinion the 2003-p Lincoln in ms70 is a landmark coin and deserves serious $ and serious consideration at the $7,500 level if the coin is accurately graded. That date tends to be so nice that I'm sure there are several out there in 9 holders that are right in there in terms of quality and perfection. There are several bronze Memorials that I would view as more valuable in pcgs ms68 and the same with the post 82 zinc core coins in ms69. They are all accross the board these days in terms of consistency, so you never know....... >>

I would agree with you on this point. My ms69 is really nice and close to the 70 but not quite there. It has a great planchet and stike but there is a tiny water spot or something similiar that would keep it from the 70. Still the 2003 P mints are one of the really nice bs lincolns and there is a ton of them in high grade. Most of the ms69s sell for around $60-90 now.

Edit to add, I really like that one on TT. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks really nice.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Pics of the MS70 Lincoln"

OK I give up, where are the pics?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>in my opinion....after this one sells for a huge price.....we will start to see more 70s.......and the poor collector who pays top dollar for this one will watch the value drop as the new 70s hit the market.......of course this is just a knee-jerk opinion and should not be taken seriously by anyone....i know nothing....just trying to participate....lol...image >>

If it sells for a lot it might increase the number being sent in, but modern coins submitted
    for grading are already heavily pre-screened. An individual who's already trying for these
    will have no better chance of getting a high grade by sending in more coins. If a lot more
    people start trying then the odds of another being made go up. A lot of these sets and sur-
    viving rolls are already being checked by someone so you might be surprised how few more
    will turn up even in the long term. There are some pretty fantastic coins in the '86 to date
    mint sets so there are bound to be more high grades if not MS-70's.

Neither the owner nor the auction company has said anything about its source, but I'm con-
    fident fromn the picture that Datentype is right about it being from a mint set. Every year is
    different but generally gems are far more likely in the sets than in the rolls. Rolls of many of
    the later dates can be exceedingly elusive anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Here they are (no thrill for me):

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets not forget fellas that I GRADED THE FIRST MS70 CIRC COIN!

Here is the post, so read on!

Link to MY 70!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    LincolnsRule commented earlier that there were probably many ms69s, just as nice, out there. I agree
    with this theory. I've seen some ms69s that appear very similiar to this coin. It's still a nice Memorial but
    not superior, IMO. Just superior plastic. Good luck on the bidding. image

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    This is the issue... we know they grade a ton of coins in a short period of time... so chances are that a grader will look at a 2003 Lincoln for 10 seconds (or whatever the avg amount of time is) and think, yeah, this is a nice coin, qualifies for ms69, and assigns ms69 and moves on. It's likely ms70 is not even on his or her radar. To assign an ms70 obviously the grader is going to have to spend substantial time making sure the coin is really perfect. I don't know how this 2003 was submitted, but it may have just been lucky that it got a grader who had the ms70 grade on his radar, and/or happened to take a longer look at the coin to see how nice it really was.

In my own experience some of my bulk orders come back with like 200 coins all assigned to my minimum grade and none higher. I swear they didn't even look for coins to make the higher grade. I bet it is a lot quicker to decide if a coin makes min grade or not, than to actually grade the coin. As I've posted before, I resubmitted 20 1981 Lincolns that had been graded ms65 and got 16 ms66's and 4 ms67's.
  • Options
    LincolnsRule, i feel your pain and I can agree with you that in bulk it seems sometimes they just look for the minimum grade for the most part to see if it will sqweek in rather than grade the coin. This is not always the case but some times if they are not familiar with the coin they won't even consider it and send it back as not meeting the minimum. i have had this happen several times and the regular service gives it 2 grades higher. My latest adventure has been resubmitting a reject order and 1/3 of them coming back slabbed at the minimum. iWhat do you thnk, a little nconsistent?

Back to the perfect coin, was this regular service or bulk?