Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

question regarding submissions and pricing!

I have a few questions that i hope you guys can answer for me. The majority of my PSA graded cards i have purchased thrue e-bay or at various shows,ect...... I see alot of people doing these bulk submissions and wonder at between $7.00-10.00 per card depending on the grading specials how do the majority of you afford these 100 or 200ct. bulk submissions? When you can find PSA 9 graded examples for around $10.00 how do you justify paying $10.00 per card to send your card into PSA to have it graded on top of the innitial cost of the raw card? It has been somewhat frustrating for me because i have alot of very nice raw cards that i am wanting to grade to add to my set registry but for every 100 cards i submit I can expect to spend atleast $700.00 in grading fee's or am i missing something? It seems to me that PSA would want to run deals or specials to the guys that are registered on their set registrys therefore it promotes the site as well as the grading and would further to help grow the hobby. I think we would see far more activity for the vintage bulk populations if the pricing was more reasonable. Just a thought and maybe they are doing this and i am missing something. I welcome anyones thoughts and/or comments because this is truely a passion for alot of us although I know personally the expendable income required to complete a registry set is very very expensive just in grading fee's alone and i would love to continue building registry sets if it becomes more economically feasable.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Jeff - first off, welcome to the board.

You don't indicate what kind of cards you're collecting. If I understand your post correctly, it sounds like you are buying raw cards that you can find for 10 bucks in a PSA 9 holder. If that's true, I'm guessing you are buying modern cards. The only justification for spending the grading fee on modern cards is (1) the encapsulation of a card at a high grade will increase the value of the card or increase the protection and presentation of the card, or (2) to add it to a registry set for the sheer fun of building a graded set.

Specials run every month. I've seen specials that take the $6 bulk 60's submission down to $5 no minimum or take the 5 day rush program down to half price. Keep your eyes open for the specials and if you don't get what you're looking for this month, maybe it'll come next month.

As far as

<< <i>how do the majority of you afford these 100 or 200ct. bulk submissions? >>

We're all independantly wealthy. None of us work and we go to museums when we're not grading cards or drinking martinis.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Mark,

First off thank you for the welcome, I have actually been a lurker on here for a year or so but usually just read,learn and admire. As far as the cards I was referencing. I actually have a 1974 topps set i am trying to build in PSA 9 or better and the commons most generally go for around $10.00 per common in most cases depending on the population reports. My thinking and logic is why would i send in a nice raw card and pay $10.00 to have it graded when i can find one already graded lets say a PSA 9 on Ebay or from one of the other collectors on here for the same price and know that i am getting a guaranteed grade. I agree with you whole-heartedly that the thrill of the chase is what keeps us coming back and even before grading became a staple of our industry I was always very critical of the sets i put together and would buy 6-7 boxes to build one pristine set. I love the fact that we have such quality 3rd party graders such as PSA,BGS,SGC as i feel they are a welcome addition for the serious collectors that want to build quality sets but i am awestruck with some of the veteran collectors that have multiple high end sets registered due to the shear amount of time and money invested. Thank you again for the advice and i will most deffinately look for the grading specials I appreciate the tips and would love to hear from any/all 1974 collectors that might be able to offer some advice on the best place to aquire nice raw examples of the 1974 topps to submit for grading.

Jeff