Home Stamps Forum
Options

Hey Mike, How's the market doing?

I've noticed lately it seems sales(graded) have slowed a bit. Or is it my imagination? Have prices plateaued? Maybe there just aren't that many collectors that have the big money to spend on all of the high grades. That's probably a simplistic approach I guess, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Well if you want to check it out I have a GEM 100 #704 on steve crippe/ gradedstamps.com for the private bid sale. It is the one and only highest graded copy. This might give an indication of the market's condition.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

link to ... Steve Crippe - Gem 100 # 704

I've had good experiences buying from Steve image Nice looking stamp imageimage

KJ

edited: to correct the post sale link
  • Options
    The summer season is always slower than the spring, as there are fewer major auctions in July and August.

The new SMQ went to the printer today, and there are major increases in Used prices, and prices for coils. Increases for mint NH are scattered, and fewer than the previous issue. Prices for OGph issues are fairly flat, with a few minuses. Modern stamps have again been increased in the highest grades, though on a percentage basis, not as much as the last issue.

Insofar as future prices go, remember that high grade stamps have seen HUGE price increases over the past year and a half. A breather is both expected and normal. I would expect truly rare, high grade classics to hold their value well although higher five figure items may be subject to which major collectors are active. Three or four wealthy collectors beginning or completing a series can make a big difference.

More modern stamps may be more sensitive to the population data. I think if certain stamps gain high populations in 98 and 100, then prices will respond. The criteria for 100 is quite tight though, and I don't expect to see lots of those in any perforated issues.
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    Well said Mike, I've been waiting to see what some of the older coils might do pricewise. I have wanted to see some rises in used prices as I feel many are very underpriced considering what they have been through to arrive in todays market in high grades. Early used stamps IMO are tough to get high grades on. When will the next SMQ be out roughly(If you didn't already mention it)? I'm always eager to see it.
  • Options
    SMQ went to the printer on Wednesday. I would expect it to be done no later than the 26th or 27th. It will actually be out on time this quarter!

Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    Cool!
  • Options
    Mike, what's the date for modern? I can't remember where the line is drawn for stamps. Sounds like some interesting price moves for Used. It'll be fun to see the SMQ.

edueka...really nice looking stamp. Looks like it could be the corner stone for a nr. 1 registry set.

Jerry

• Options
    Yeah, it's a nice stamp. I bought it in a plate block on the APS stampstore. I have the finest all time 2nd Highest set. Of course I didn't have the deep pockets of the guy above me. Mine were all found searching on ebay etc. for hours and days and years. Hope I get some good bids, probably won't be til' the last day though. There are 2 guys that really need this stamp for their sets so maybe it will go high.
  • Options
    The SMQ puts stamps of Scott No. 704 (Washington Bicentennial, 1932) and up in the Modern section, which covers grades from VF 80 to Gem 100, and includes Jumbos. This contrasts with the "vintage" section, which prices stamps from FR 10 through Sup 98 and covers Scott No. 1 through 701.

We recently moved the airmails C20 to C24 (1935-39) to the Modern section as well as Special Deliveries from E15 and up. We will continue to expand coverage in the modern section as more of these stamps are submitted, and populations increase.

The SMQ proof is due Monday, and will be on press Tuesday and Wednesday. It should bind on Thursday, and be delivered Friday. As I said earlier, Used prices and coils are up substantially. Used coils are up by a huge amount, reflecting more the undervaluation in past issues rather than a recent market move. Genuine used coil pairs and line pairs are truly scarce, and getting accurate price info is tough since they trade so infrequently.

I'm attaching a little sneak preview again - a screen shot from the Excel file from the new SMQ. Check it out.

http://members.cox.net/ms55b/SMQ.jpg
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, I was just commenting on the Washington Bicentennial Issues in another thread. The 5 cent blue 710 seems to be a favorite out of the issues.

Jerry
  • Options
    $1400 for the #704 G-100, not bad huh?
  • Options
    Wow. Do you have the whole issue/

Jerry
  • Options
    I did but, had to put it up for sale on Steve's site. I have the 2nd alltime finest in the registry. The 708 98J I have on Steve's site, but it may be sold from what I hear. I paid about $9 for it, the price is $1850!
  • Options
    Just checked the link. You're kickin butt and glad to see it. Hope I'm not jumping the gun on that. But comparing to your 704 and 708 this one pretty much fell in line.

Jerry