Home Sports Talk
Options

Six Out Away....

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
From their first division title since 1988! Congratulations to Willie and the rest of the Mets for a fantastic season so far! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    3 outs away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Just like Torre, the manager getting too many kudos for winning with a lineup stacked with all stars top to bottom.

A trained chimp could do the job of either of these guys.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Uh oh...something good happens in NY...time for Ax to chime in and BASH away.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>Uh oh...something good happens in NY...time for Ax to chime in and BASH away. >>

No one's bashing.

Just simply stating my opinion that even someone with no baseball knowledge could manage either the mets or yanks to a division title, that's all.

No need to get hostile.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Uh oh...something good happens in NY...time for Ax to chime in and BASH away. >>

No one's bashing.

Just simply stating my opinion that even someone with no baseball knowledge could manage either the mets or yanks to a division title, that's all.

No need to get hostile. >>

No hostility, just stating my opinion that you live for moments when you can bash NY. I know its true, you know its true, and everyone else here knows it true. Blind hatred for a place is always a sure way to show ignorance, Im glad you make it easy for us to see.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    You call it blind hatred, I call it simply having vision.

You yankee fans are too close to see the vast amounts of NY koolaid you consume and expect the rest of us to do the same.

Sorry.

I see willie randolph, last year, with a superior team to the braves, lose the division to them. This year he's supposed to be congratulated?

Same with torre. Hand me a $200 million payroll and I could coach them to 90 wins too.
  • Options

<< <i>You call it blind hatred, I call it simply having vision.

You yankee fans are too close to see the vast amounts of NY koolaid you consume and expect the rest of us to do the same.

Sorry.

I see willie randolph, last year, with a superior team to the braves, lose the division to them. This year he's supposed to be congratulated?

Same with torre. Hand me a $200 million payroll and I could coach them to 90 wins too. >>

What in hell does being a Yankee fan have to do with calling you out for your all around, all consumed hatred for everything and anything NY ? In case you didnt know, which I am certain you didnt, there is plenty in NY besides the Yankees.

I have an issue with you bashing NY in general. Bash the Yankees, I could care less, but you bash the state, the city, and the people and I will call it what it is....an ignorant, bitter little dope with blind hatred.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Ax,

Whatever point you may or may not have, it's low class to bash a team that's won the division title on their home field for the first time in almost 20 years.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    oh bri-

I honestly don't give 2 craps about your city. You get all possessive, like NY is your girlfriend or something.

Look, I DON'T CARE. What I do care about are the ignorant 'fans' who think NY everything is better than everywhere else, that somehow you are entitled to baseball success, simply because of where the team plays.

I despise that sort of entitlement. Lakers fans are the same way - pathetic. It's disgusting that you sit there and assume you should win, that the current system should never change simply because your team is in a favorable position due to geography.

So, before you make any more blind assumptions, know this: I DON'T CARE where you live, I DON'T CARE about NY, I am speaking only about the sports, man.

Get a thicker skin next time you're at the store, ok?
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    axtell i think you are very wrong!

willie did a heck of a job this year. sure payroll is 115 mil or so. but the injuries the mets have had this year. starting pitching has been a mess since may. but he has weathered the storm with managing the bullpen.

and cant say enough about what omar did! valentin chavez bench players that won them so many games this year! now valentin is starting at 2nd.

willie did one heck of a job this year!

• Options

<< <i>oh bri-

I honestly don't give 2 craps about your city. You get all possessive, like NY is your girlfriend or something.

Look, I DON'T CARE. What I do care about are the ignorant 'fans' who think NY everything is better than everywhere else, that somehow you are entitled to baseball success, simply because of where the team plays.

I despise that sort of entitlement. Lakers fans are the same way - pathetic. It's disgusting that you sit there and assume you should win, that the current system should never change simply because your team is in a favorable position due to geography.

So, before you make any more blind assumptions, know this: I DON'T CARE where you live, I DON'T CARE about NY, I am speaking only about the sports, man.

Get a thicker skin next time you're at the store, ok? >>

Oh, you dont care about where I live ? Shall I run over the list of NON SPORTS RELATED comments and digs you have gotten in about NY ? Do you really want to go down that road ? Do you want it repeated here for all to see that you are not only a narrow minded hater, but a liar when confronted with it too ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Was willie signing players? Was he making front office moves I didn't know about?
  • Options
    Was willie signing players? Was he making front office moves I didn't know about?

LOL, it's a team effort, and Willie has done a great job this year. The Mets have been without their #1 & #2 starter for a stretch of time and still have done well. Your bitterness at the M's sucking year after year is getting to you, man. Why don't you move to Seattle at least to support yor team. You root for baseball and football teams at opposite ends of the freakin' country, how pathetic is that! image

• Options

<< <i> Was willie signing players? Was he making front office moves I didn't know about?

LOL, it's a team effort, and Willie has done a great job this year. The Mets have been without their #1 & #2 starter for a stretch of time and still have done well. Your bitterness at the M's sucking year after year is getting to you, man. Why don't you move to Seattle at least to support yor team. You root for baseball and football teams at opposite ends of the freakin' country, how pathetic is that! image >>

Why is it pathetic? Because 'tradition' says you have to root for the team that happens to be nearest to you?

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You call it blind hatred, I call it simply having vision. >>

imageimageimageimage

WOW!!! Thanks for that laugh! That has to be one of the funniest things I have read on here in some time!! image
  • Options
    Of course you would yankeeno.

I find it ironic that people who are so upset with my picking apart the myths surrounding NY sports teams, are, in fact, ny 'fans'.

• Options
    imageHere we go again
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Well, I for one would like to tip my hat to Willie Randolph. He finally got his opportunity, and he made the most of it. And let's not forget that there have been plenty of high priced Mets teams before under Howe, Valentine, etc. that were total trainwrecks.

I don't think you win as many games in the NL as the Mets have if you don't have a quality manager. The AL may be a different story (and then again, maybe it isn't-- I'm not one of those Torre bashers, in in fact to the contrary I think he's done a fine job in what may be one of the most stressful jobs in all of pro sports), but there's too much going on in a typical NL game IMO for a total dolt of a manager to lead a team to as many wins as the Mets have garnered.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I freaking hate the Mets.

I don't have vision, but I do have hatred and am reminded by it everytime I hear Ron Santo mention the Mets. '69 was a killer.

That being said, congratulations to the Mets fans. It's been a long time since they won the division and I know how frustrating that can get.

Its easy to love a team when they win. You become a true fan when you love them when they don't.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I freaking hate the Mets.

I don't have vision, but I do have hatred and am reminded by it everytime I hear Ron Santo mention the Mets. '69 was a killer.

That being said, congratulations to the Mets fans. It's been a long time since they won the division and I know how frustrating that can get.

Its easy to love a team when they win. You become a true fan when you love them when they don't. >>

I feel the same way about the Twins,so I know how you feel.

But I have to take exception to your last line. Everybody has their limits, and I've finally hit mine with the Detroit Lions. There's only so much incompetence you can take before you have to let your fandom go dormant for a while. With the Cubs, part of the charm is how badly they've sucked all these years. With the Lions it's just a faceless embarrassment.
  • Options

<< <i> With the Cubs, part of the charm is how badly they've sucked all these years. >>

I thought I liked you too. You and I are done SUCKA!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> With the Cubs, part of the charm is how badly they've sucked all these years. >>

image >>

FWIW I always root for the Cubs. I don't think there was a 12 year old in the country who's heart was more broken then mine after Durham's error in the '84 NLCS-- and I grew up in St. Louis!

I am, however, a little embarrassed for the city of Chicago in light of these reports of racist hate mail coming in by the metric ton for Dusty Baker and Jacques Jones.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

FWIW I always root for the Cubs. I don't think there was a 12 year old in the country who's heart was more broken then mine after Durham's error in the '84 NLCS-- and I grew up in St. Louis!

I am, however, a little embarrassed for the city of Chicago in light of these reports of racist hate mail coming in by the metric ton for Dusty Baker and Jacques Jones. >>

I have never heard a peep about that here!

I like Dusty, I wish he would make players a little more accountable for their bad play, but I like him. Jacques is a terrible fundimental baseball player. He has made more mental errors in the field than I care to remember. If he was playing under a manager who did hold thier players more accountable, he would have spent more time on the bench.

I honestly have never heard about the racist hate mail you are talking about. If that is the case, its appaling.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I am, however, a little embarrassed for the city of Chicago in light of these reports of racist hate mail coming in by the metric ton for Dusty Baker and Jacques Jones. >>

I have never heard a peep about that here!

I like Dusty, I wish he would make players a little more accountable for their bad play, but I like him. Jacques is a terrible fundimental baseball player. He has made more mental errors in the field than I care to remember. If he was playing under a manager who did hold thier players more accountable, he would have spent more time on the bench.

I honestly have never heard about the racist hate mail you are talking about. If that is the case, its appaling. >>

There was an article about it in the newspaper-- I think USA Today-- about a month ago or so. There are idiots everywhere, so I'm not singling out Chicago, but it was still a drag to read about.