Home Metal Detecting
Options

More Silver from campground...

Went back to the campground where I found the 46 quarter and nice 20 merc among others early this evening and got silvered again- including one first- a war nickel. Other good finds were the 50 Rosie and a really crustie wheat cent- looks like 1920 something. Also found the other coins. I found the dime, the wheatie and the war nickel in the last half hour before it got dark (had just moved to that area), so I will be going back to work that spot some more for sure. Does the silver war nickel count towards silver coins in my monthly quantity total? Side note: The leaves are already falling here in northern NY- alot more especially in the last week...

Comments

• Options
    Nice work again!

I just recently found my first war nickel as well. Congrats!

<< <i>Does the silver war nickel count towards silver coins in my monthly quantity total? >>

Absolutely!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    i dug something like 12 war nickels 2 months ago. i definatly counted them for that month.
  • Options
    Great finds!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I hate to ask a dumb question, but very often you guys talk about war nickels. What exactly is a war nickel? Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    They were made from mid 1942 to 1945, instead of the normal copper/nickel alloy, a copper/silver alloy was used (nickel was needed for the war effort). In order to be able to better identify them ater the war, so the government could recall them, a larger mintmark was placed over the dome instead of beside it as on other Jefferson nickels.
  • Options
    Thank you for explaining the differanceme, I've been wondering about this for quite some time. image Mary
    Be Still and Know